• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Me Wenting My Frustration at the ai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Title explains the reason why this post is here. I just keep losing against medium ai, and I honestly don't get why. The biggest reason is that I just keep losing engagements. I get an expansion and suddenly the ai just decides to ransack it even though the expansion is like 3 meters away from my main and they still win. I just dont get it, I keep losing the engagements. DH just nukes my heroes and then they just die after 5 seconds while my army proceeds to deal 0 damage. I dont know if it is because my entire economy is wrong, by the time I can get a somewhat decent army and 2 heroes and take an expansion the ai has a huge army with leveled up heroes and they just rape me even if I try to tip the scales in my favor.

Then when I play more passively and instead of trying to expand early I try to harass them they just literally destroy whatever force I have. When I try to attack their secondary what happens is that my units barely deal any damage to their buildings at all and they come with their army and suddenly I am unable to get away and half my army is dead before I manage to tp so I cant even harass when they expand because they just literally rape me but when I expand I barely manage to make 3 acolytes for my new gold mine until they just waltz in to my base and immediately destroy everything and when I try to intercept them MY ENTIRE ARMY DIES. I cant even protect my expansion because they immediately harass it and I just die to their harass.

I just dont get what the hell is going on, like I get that it is probably because I suck at every aspect of the rts genre and that failure is the way to succes and the only way I can get better is by just trying to improve my gameplay but before anything else I play this game to have fun, if every single time the same thing happens, and no matter what I do it just keeps happening again, and I dont even know what the hell I am supposed to improve but the enemy is completely on point with everything then it kinda gets annoying you know. Challenge is what makes things fun but being absolutely destroyed with no idea what is going on 5 times in a row kinda gets old.

Thanks for listening to my unnecessary rant.

Level 22
Melee maps? Try harassing the enemy very early in the game (a single melee unit is okay), focus on the economic infrastructures and services (gold miners or upkeep buildings). Build defensive towers on the enemy's borders and build some near the resources.

Level 5
I still to this day am not perfectly sure how to best win this game.

But the techniques back in 2007 were you can generally either:
  • Rush
  • Creep Camp (abbreviated as "cc")

Option 1 is where you if say were Orc, would make your primary focus getting a Hero, then get 2 grunts, maybe 3 MAXIMUM and get them to right click on your Hero so they follow him everywhere, attack when they see someone, or run away when he runs. Then you meet up with your team and attack the opponent, hopefully before they have anything to defend with.

Other things with rushing are that you may often hear a player say "im teching", which means he/she's just focusing on the technology of the army as the name suggests. They are only collecting resources and upgrading, so as to "tech to mortars" (mortars being the human unit), "teching to frosties" etc. They don't join the rush always, but they can sometimes.

Creep Camp is where it is tricky. They say there are SOME maps that specifically designed for CC. Typically ones with more mines. So you basically are just focusing on leveling up your hero and setting up some extra bases. I'm not so sure exactly on how that works, and when to do it, but I know that you don't want to waste all your money setting up extra bases so much that you have no defense.

But the major point is: NEVER underestimate the power of a Hero. I didn't understand at first until a couple years, but heroes COMPLETELY change the game. At the end of the game, a level 7 hero will dominate when everyone is short on lumber, all the gold mines are empty, players left etc.

Level 5
Another good point I figured out is that if you want to hit the enemy in a way that really cripples them, don't go for necessarily the bigger buildings like the Barracks, the Altar, the Siege Works, etc. Go for the gatherers! So that means hit the workers & farms, and you destroy their army!

Another amazing point I discovered that NOBODY really follows, is to have TOWERS in your base! You need to have towers at some point, positioned right. But be careful though, because you can completely end yourself by draining all your gold and wood building towers in places they don't need to be. Often a strong force of soldiers can be stopped by a strong defense of towers. If units were the ultimate offense, towers are the ultimate defense.

Edit: Another thing to add, is that it's a common misconception (after all, they're kids playing the game lol) that the strongest player is the one who rushes the opponent the fastest. That is a GRAVE mistake, not to mention it lacks any honour or respect to your opponent. You can turn that strategy back on them brutally, if you know what you're doing. The only time it finishes off/defeats players is because they didn't know the different tricks to stop a rush from happening.

The key is to utilize the different commands for units, like Patrol, Hold Position, Move, Attack. Most players don't ever use that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.