• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Teleport/Telepathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I will try to keep myself short.

The topic is as said teleport and telepathy. To be blunt I think it ruins the RP.
My intention is not to force a rule, but I just want to highlight my thoughts so that you who read this will hopefully think twice before using teleport or telepathy next time.

On top of my head they have two things in common.
  • They remove many tactical strategies and counterplay
  • They speed up the RP by way too much

The second one is kind of included in the first one.. kinda. But I included it just in case.

Let's say faction X is attacking faction Y. Logically speaking we can assume that at least half of X's troops are participating in that. Which means, X's country/land will be vulnerable as it would take weeks for the other half of the army to return home. BUT WAIT, there's teleport, the whole army is assembled within 5 minutes. It kills the fun completely.

But there's hope! The attacking troops do not know that their homeland is about to get attacked so even if they can teleport, they wouldn't do that since they don't know and it would take a few days for a message to be sent even by using birds. BUT WAIT there's telepathy which informs your troops within 1 second.

I can write together like 10 other diplomatic/strategic scenarios that proves my point further, but I don't want too much text here.

Thanks for reading and please think twice before you (ab)use teleport/telepathy.

Level 21
It's true that it can ruin fun(which is why I don't and won't use it in FoW)
IMO it can be efficiently included in the RP if used responsibly.But fun isn't exactly what this group seems to be about anymore(God bless Daffa for FoW)Honestly each player is so focused on being more powerful than the other that they will use anything and everything to try and achieve that.One of the reasons I solo RP,I want fun not a damn competition of power.Sorry,went slightly off-topic there

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
My realm has disabled it completely for everyone, as well. You can't use teleport nor telepathy inside it, the only way to get in and out is through a hidden gateway (this obviously applies for all of my characters as well).
So yes, I have taken my own measures against it myself and pray that's enough to make a slight difference.

In battle teleporting/blinking can be interesting, but otherwise I hate it. Telepathy is strictly off limits for me in FoW, I wont use it at all.

The reason I wrote this down is because I am afraid the same thing will happen in FoW.

Level 21
I will use combat teleporting to teleport behind a target or something.But I assumed we are talking about major teleportation

Level 9
So.. u mean we cant have Dungorian translocators!??! Why? Heavens fall mod was soo popular(ok.. enough jokes)
I usually teleport only my main chracters, my army have to travel..

Level 9
Boats can be destroyed, horses can be shot, zepplins can be detsroyed by acks acks and mounrs can be killed..legs... go walk for 5 miles and not get tired!

Level 21
What if I told you there are boats, zeppelins, horses and other mounts?

images

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
There is only one known portal in WoW and that took multiple powerful casters on each side of the portal for hours. And that is used between worlds not from northrend to eastern kingdoms or whatever.

Or, if you talk about mage portals, they allow group/party members to enter. And a group is 40 people max so that's not quite the army.

Level 9
*notes to say"stop going Ot"*

Alright, so you guys are telling its impossible to have an army of Apprentice mages? Then why does Dalarn have so many then?

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
@WF
*notes that it's impossible to have a discussion with both Chaosy and Leo*
Might be some truth to that.

Cuz it's where they learn and train
And dalaran take mages from pretty much all factions, not just a single one.

@Leo
I can't accurately debate about that since I don't know how many mages there are.
Dalaran got many mages, true. But I don't think it's many compared to the number of soldiers in an army.

Level 9
Dalarn... has Citadel Guards and all the rest are freaking MAGES!!! Conjurers! Geomancers! Pyromancers! Hydromancers! Spell Weavers! Battle Mages! Sorceresses! Sorcerers! Wizards! Archmages! ...and... any more?

Teleportation are not mere magics. Suffice to say, out of 10, only 1 is likely to be capable to utilize it properly. I take TMK for example, most of the mass teleportation are used by elites (Daffa, Fallen Mage, Raven, Mask, Aurora, etc).

In extreme details, teleportation is "relocate existence while delays the frame of time", at least in my perspective. Teleportation, naturally is a powerful magic that can destroy it's user within bounds of space and time if they're not careful.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
@Leo
False. There are normal citizens too. But quite frankly, all those you mention are still summed up as mages. And as far as I know, they are rare.

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Dalaran said:
The mages of Dalaran protected inhabitants who weren't magic-users

edit: This might be a good read if you're interested.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/10673117470

edit: Aha! Found it! Here's exactly how it works lore wise in WoW
http://www.wowhead.com/object=19288...-a-memorandum-on-proper-portal-usage#comments

Level 9
Of couse there are cirizens.. im not addin it because we are talking about military my friends!and.. there are abt how many portals in stormwind? In dalarn? And more?

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Fair enough.

Let's see.
Darnassus - Exodar
Stormwind - Blased Lands
Dalaran - Stormwind
Dalaran - Caverns of time
Dalaran - Orgrimmar

If there are more, correct me. But it does not change a thing, lore wise it does not work, you can't transport too many through a single portal. I will not quote statements from given links as it's honestly useless knowledge unless you RP in WoW.

Level 9
Stormwind.. we got moar!! Deepholm!, Tanaris that sand area or something. forgot its name. Twiliht Highlands and Pandaria!!Ahh!! jus tht in 1 city!!

Status
Not open for further replies.