• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Peasant Battler v1.1

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: BlueFire
ZIj0URY.png

About:
Fight for control over the map by using your worker to surround areas and claim their resources. The catch: your main method of movement is building.
The map is laid out in a checkerboard fashion where half the squares are unwalkable and unbuildable. The only way to move between squares (other than a long cooldown blink) is to build on top of your worker to "push" them to a nearby square. This allows for quick but predictable movement.
Resources are gained periodically based on how much of the map you control. Only fully surrounded squares are considered under your control. One should move around strategically in order to both get where you want to go and gain control of the map.
The last surviving worker wins. Don't get boxed in!

Lp2uqiC.jpg

ItN4WjY.jpg

Oe1xHI0.jpg

b80MyKr.jpg

cYyIORU.jpg

Features:
Both team and FFA mode. (suggested: team)
Up to a full 12 players. (suggested: 4-8)
3 different types of resources with different uses, though they all have some overlap. Gold is for making many buildings, lumber for powerful buildings, and research for worker upgrades.
Many buildings with specific usages. Artillery to kill other buildings, sniper towers to kill workers, bunkers to siege well defended opponents, and farms with their upgrades to support.
Many worker abilities to quickly turn the tide. When researched, these include a stunning grenade, a short cooldown blink, blowing up opponent's buildings at range, spawning a farm anywhere, and even a nuclear strike to eliminate a portion of the map forever.

Author notes:
I got the idea for this when playing several maps that had problems with workers jumping over otherwise impassible obstacles by building on top of themselves. This is part of the engine that's bad for most maps, so I wanted to twist it around into a feature. I've also been a fan of the old map Peon Wars forever, though at the same time that map had a hell of a lot of problems, so this is my attempt at the idea.

Credits:
The many tutorials and threads on this website helped me a lot in getting reacquainted with the editor and learning new things I never knew before.
My wife for helping with some testing and making some assets.
My main inspiration for the actual gameplay was probably Peon Wars.

Keywords:
tower, map control, checkerboard, chessboard, peasant, peon, FFA, team
Contents

Peasant Battler v1.1 (Map)

Reviews
Paillan
5 - 4 - 2017 No changes were made in more than 3 months which means that no changes are inteded to be made. Acording to rules, this implies that your map will now be classified as substandard. If you wish to revert this decision you can PM a map...
Level 4
A simple review

Well, it seems like no one is paying this piece attention, so I decided for it to be my 3rd review;

Overall:
I can see this map being fun for people that just want some quick action, it's simple style adds to this factor as it may be something to play while waiting for something quick (I s'ppose). However this map fails at some things as well;

Some "Failed" things:
First off; the player settings aren't "fixed", that means the player can switch between colors and races, I suggest changing that. Next we have the fog of war hiding the option select; you can still see the circles of power, you can fix that by unchecking "Masked areas are partially visible" in the Map Options. As well I'd suggest locking the camera on the selector while they are picking options. Another problem is that a map must always have help in the F9/Quest menu; put the rules and hints as "Quests" to give the players some direction. Maybe I was blind but, there was an income every now and then but there was no income indicator in-game. There was quite some imbalance; The Moon Wells can heal you every second, making you almost involnerable if you can use them at least a little, why did the "Farm" cost only 1 gold? It probably was an intention but you can just spam them to get to the enemy and spam towers around them literally at the start, not sure how I feel about that. I'd say that's all the major stuff, please consider these.

Recommendations:
I say you should increase the difficulty on this map, maybe create bigger buildings and bigger tiles to add variation. Variation is the main key here; you should add more buildings with different and unique purposes.

Some last words:
The map feels kinda clumsy at times for some reason and while I think it has potential, it has a way to go before it can fully shine. So for now; I'm rating 1.6/5.

Level 11
The changing races and colors were 100% intentional. You'll note your builder and color indicators for ground control conform to your choices in the lobby.

What do you mean by "increase the difficulty"? There's no AI to play against. Do you want player controlled areas to be harder to siege, or?

I am also curious about any balance concerns. You shouldn't be immortal with long range moonwells against someone with roughly equal map control; resource for resource, moon well's healing is less effective than any of the sniper towers except the infinite range one. They should keep you alive long enough to get close and build some artillery/bunkers, and not more than that. If that's not the case, there's a problem.
(though of course with unequal map control, certain things like immortality from moon wells SHOULD happen; having more power due to having more resources is how you ought to win, after all)

Last edited:
Level 4
Well, if that's the case then yes, that is thoughfull, I just wasn't sure. And for the difficulty; not really, I mean I didn't say you have to do it, it was just kind of a recommendation. Anyways what I meant by that is that you maybe should increase the cost on the farm and/or maybe make the Moon Wells slightly less powerfull and yes I know I formulated it poorly but y'know sometimes that happens.

Edit: I didn't notice the last part, sorry for that. And well, it just seemed kinda weird since the Moon Wells just heal a little too much too quickly. I only did a quick test so I might have just been bad, what do you know. The reason I even included this is mainly cause two out of three people I played with just kinda rage quitted blaming imbalance, so maybe that was my bad. Thoug nobody built a single bunker since it just seemed overexpansive, just letting you know.

Level 11
Yeah people dropping early is something I've noticed in my public tests as well. I think the controls are just a bit awkward and the early game is too important, so a newbie will stand around for a few seconds while a more experienced player suddenly takes 3/4 the map.

Level 4
Anyways, I'll try the map again now that my friends are available, but I won't re-review or whatever you want to call it until you think I should (I expect that being after an update) so just letting you know until then. Either way cansider changing what do you think is the best for the map, not everything I said is probably valid anyway.

Level 23
Great in concept, unplayable in execution.

The 3 big issues are as such
- The game is entirely about movement across the board, being unable to control your movement is a huge problem. Because you cannot decide where you go, the most sensible option is to sit still and build the infinite range towers, you can see why this an issue.
- Its never explained how acquire on map resources
- For a map with such a short round time, I dont see the point of a techtree/many unlockables

Set to Needs Fix.

Level 19
5 - 4 - 2017
No changes were made in more than 3 months which means that no changes are inteded to be made. Acording to rules, this implies that your map will now be classified as substandard. If you wish to revert this decision you can PM a map reviewer once you have updated the map.

Set to Substandard.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Always check/recheck the Map Submission Rules! (Map Submission Rules)

These will help make a better description:

If you want more reviews, come here:
The Grand Review Exchange!