• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Miscellanous / Other] Peasant Battler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
ZIj0URY.png

About:
Fight for control over the map by using your worker to surround areas and claim their resources. The catch: your main method of movement is building.
The map is laid out in a checkerboard fashion where half the squares are unwalkable and unbuildable. The only way to move between squares (other than a long cooldown blink) is to build on top of your worker to "push" them to a nearby square. This allows for quick but predictable movement.
Resources are gained periodically based on how much of the map you control. Only fully surrounded squares are considered under your control. One should move around strategically in order to both get where you want to go and gain control of the map.
The last surviving worker wins. Don't get boxed in!

Lp2uqiC.jpg

ItN4WjY.jpg

Oe1xHI0.jpg

b80MyKr.jpg

cYyIORU.jpg

Features:
Both team and FFA mode. (suggested: team)
Up to a full 12 players. (suggested: 4-8)
3 different types of resources with different uses, though they all have some overlap. Gold is for making many buildings, lumber for powerful buildings, and research for worker upgrades.
Many buildings with specific usages. Artillery to kill other buildings, sniper towers to kill workers, bunkers to siege well defended opponents, and farms with their upgrades to support.
Many worker abilities to quickly turn the tide. When researched, these include a stunning grenade, a short cooldown blink, blowing up opponent's buildings at range, spawning a farm anywhere, and even a nuclear strike to eliminate a portion of the map forever.

Author notes:
I got the idea for this when playing several maps that had problems with workers jumping over otherwise impassible obstacles by building on top of themselves. This is part of the engine that's bad for most maps, so I wanted to twist it around into a feature. I've also been a fan of the old map Peon Wars forever, though at the same time that map had a hell of a lot of problems, so this is my attempt at the idea.

Credits:
The many tutorials and threads on this website helped me a lot in getting reacquainted with the editor and learning new things I never knew before.
My wife for helping with some testing and making some assets.
My main inspiration for the actual gameplay was probably Peon Wars.

I'd really like feedback in regards to income balance. I have very limited capacity to actually test the map in multiplayer, as it isn't really intended to be played 1v1. Most the numbers are just my intuition.
The name may be tentative. "Peasant Battler" just sounded so 2005 that I had to use it, though I know it's perhaps not the most eye catching or interesting title. (same goes for the minimap preview image)
I made this in about 5 days, so bug reports are welcome too. There's inevitably going to be a few game breaking things.

Attachments

• peasantbattler0.8007.w3x
    387.4 KB · Views: 31
  • peasantbattler0.9005.w3x
    389.4 KB · Views: 26
  • peasantbattler v1.0000.w3x
    389.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.