• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Pathfinding in Warcraft3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello, while I am gathering data for my Warcraft(4) project.

(Creating a new Engine based on the Warcraft3 engine).

I am very interested in how Warcraft3 does its path-finding.

On the first glance it looks like it uses a "Navigation Mesh" rather then "Waypoints" to move.

That would be strange though, because World of Warcraft uses Waypoints rather then a Mesh, and considering that W3 is older I kinda doubt this.

So could some one tell me which one it uses? Since Warcraft3 works on a grid, it might just be that. Astar Pathfinding on a Grid. But I would like to know for sure:vw_love:

Here is an example of Waypoints:
Halaa_waypoints2_AB.jpg

And here is an example of a Navigation Mesh:
Halaa_navmesh2_AB.jpg

Here is the link of the article where I took the images from:
http://www.ai-blog.net/archives/000152.html

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
It uses a pixel based pathing map. It issues mini-moves per player every ingame frame (not actual rendered frame). These moves are interpolated every real frame.

The pathing algorthim is probably some image based one. StarCraft II uses mesh pathing and generates appropiate pathing artifacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.