• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Paladon's Icon Area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
NOTE: I won't post every single of my early icons in this thread, only the ones which actually are important.

Well, i came to the Hive in November 2007, i got my internet access around 3 months before.
You may imagine, i searched for icons, in fact for the map i started to create in this time.
And i was really surprised by the amount of available resources here.
In December, finally, i decided to register at THW, to share my "work" (without reading the rules. Everyone should check them btw: Icon Rules)
It's nothing to be proud of lil' kids, so never submit a CnP icon to the section or anything else which breaks the established rules!

After having a rest and thinking over my icon career, i started in the early days of 2008 with my first freehanded icons.
icons_4859_btn.jpg
icons_4894_btn.jpg
icons_4893_btn.jpg

I have never heard the word Photoshop or Gimp in that time.
I still was proud of my very first tries, and i decided to post them here. They are still available. They are neither of much quality nor of extreme expression but my try to retrieve my mistakes were honoured and Werewulf and General Frank inspired me to improve my work, to actually learn something about it.

6 months later, i came up with new, better icons. But i had a problem, they were blurred and full of misplaced pixels.
I wondered how to fix that until i found out that .jpg reduces the general quality of icons.
I was used to save pictures in .jpg before.

Having a rest again, i investigated and practiced and came up with something...good. Finally.

icons_5896_btn.jpg

I'd like to thank Hawkwing at this point, he gave me my first HR rating and further supported me with tips and constructive criticism.

Encouraged by this support and the general success, i decided to crash my project and turned to the icon creation.

icons_6091_btn.jpg
icons_6092_btn.jpg
icons_6093_btn.jpg

And hey, i got feedback.
A user named Shanghai, who is still around here, requested an icon.
A fitting icon for a skin, whos creator is and was inactive.

The result, you can imagine who is represented:
icons_6089_btn.jpg

I started giving feedback to other icons as well. I saw users with similar problems which i had before and helped out, started giving the tips i've received in my early days.

Now i am Icon Moderator, and got a few days ago my new fellow in the section, zombie2279.
He allowed me to enter the current Phoenix Trial, the Icon Contest, by managing the section with me now.

In this thread, i am planning to present pieces of my earlier work and future projects, mainly 2D related.

If you have feedback, suggestions, comments, notes or questions, feel free to post them.
You can also ask me general questions about icon creation or other kind of help.

I hope this thread may inspire some users, as you can read in the story above, i started somewhere too.

Today, i submitted a new icon to the section, actually created for the Phoenix Trial:
A replacement for the "Animate Dead" icon.

Level 30
I submitted my entry for the current Phoenix Trial, however, here are the icons:

BTNSleep
140841-albums879-picture11763.png

BTNSilence
140841-albums879-picture11758.png

BTNHolyLight
140841-albums879-picture11753.png

BTNInferno
140841-albums879-picture11748.png

BTNRainOfFire
140841-albums879-picture11743.png

BTNAnimateDead
140841-albums879-picture11737.png

This are 6 out of "at least 4 icons", the contest's judges can choose the 4 best and judge them.

My personal favourite is the rain of fire, however, second is holy light, although it took "only" about 40 min. Rain of fire and holy light are completely digital created.
Next one is silence. The face took a while. I started with the mouth and the background, then with the head and added the nose some time later.

In the sleep icon are neither copy 'n' paste nor filters used. Just in case you wondered about the "movement" effect.

Animate dead was quite a hell to create, i decided to gve the Death Knight a position in the background. I hope its noticeable.

You should generally know that i like to make skull piles or falling rocks/meteors.
That's why there is the inferno icon.
The original BTNInferno from Blizzard simply shows the face of the inferno.
It would be pretty uncreative to draw the face again (sidepunch, i know), so here's the infernal rock falling on the earth.

You are free to give every kind of criticism you wish to give, but if you are Zombie or Frank, don't :p

Status
Not open for further replies.