• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Owl-Shoulder Watcher

This bundle is marked as lacking. It fails to meet the standard requirements and may only have minor use.
This is a version of the Night Elven Sentry unit with an owl on her shoulder. I heard a rumor that the original Sentry/Watcher unit, whatever she was called, was like this. My understanding is that this unit was a precursor to the Huntress from before she was mounted. This unit had an owl on her shoulder and as I understand this owl was the one used up and placed on a tree when she would cast the Sentinel ability.

When I looked into more I found that indeed there are old images on the internet of a model like this from some of the Warcraft III early development stages.
195815-ad2be9fee6ea9b169782a91a76c36bb9.jpg

195816-7f96ad16fb4e0cd52f885b39125de753.jpg

195817-09039c13007a457879145a6e0882dffe.jpg

So, that was my inspiration for this model. But while I was on vacation and I was building the first technical demo of a multiplayer Warsmash client to play with others, I wanted to use some Warcraft III alpha style of content and I had forgotten to bring this custom model that I created. So, I created a second version. I will attach both versions below to this bundle. The second version is simpler and mostly has the owl flapping its wings. The reason for this is that I found the old "Sentinel" spell model, which I believe to be highly based on the shoulder owl in the photos above, included in Hallfiry's Warcraft III Beta archives. So, I used that owl for my model, although its wings are bigger to emphasize that it was flying, and I was lazy and did not shrink the wings to match the asset in these old photos while I was making my own version.

During the first multiplayer game of Warsmash, these Night-Elven warriors with owls on their shoulders served as my basic melee unit in my custom night elven theme race while my family members and I united in our LAN party to defeat the evil demons.

Note: Images are copied from https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Warcraft_III_evolution_guide
Previews
Contents

Owl-Shoulder Watcher (Version One) (Model)

Owl Shoulder Watcher (Version Two) (Model)

Reviews
General Frank
Please fix the following errors and add some things: Some extends are negative, this might cause some bugs and make it difficult to select the model in certain animations. The death animation of the owl looks very weird and unnatural in the 'Watcher'...

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Nice! I don't know whether you found the version you were looking for or not, but I'm really glad you've uploaded it either way. Love me some alpha/beta stuff.

(Also my apologies; while swiping down on my mobile to make this post, I somehow accidentally shuffled the position of the two resources??? Tried to fix it, my bad)

Level 9
Very nice. One of my favorite alpha models. The original one had different team colors though.
Also I think second version is better due to better spell animation.

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

Version 2 rocks! Imagine a channeling spell with that owl animation circling an area. <3

I didnt feel the need to merge model and portrait since I was using this model in a mod that already had the watcher portrait included.

That spell animation is literally the blizzard animation from the owl model. Version 2 is just a hastily done import operation. Version 1 has animations I made on my own frame-by-frame.

Please fix the following errors and add some things:
  • Some extends are negative, this might cause some bugs and make it difficult to select the model in certain animations.
  • The death animation of the owl looks very weird and unnatural in the 'Watcher' version. You might want to find a better solution.
  • All models need a proper in-game screenshot.