• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Other Games' Models on Warcraft 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, i noticed that some guys inside and outside the hive have taken some models from other games (like Resident Evil , Naruto, Vampire the masquerade ...). Is there a possible any way possible to convert models from other games to Warcraft 3 models?

A lot of those types of models come in formats supported by 3ds-Max. Then you can just export it using NeoDex (if you have 3dsMax installed).

But as Nhaz said, we don't allow exports from other games:
General Resource Rules said:
Exported materials from other games is not permitted.
One exception is content exported from games developed by Blizzard Entertainment may be permitted if it is properly adapted to the Warcraft 3 engine and credit is given to Blizzard. The resource owner will in most cases be set to Blizzard Entertainment.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/rules-information-710/general-resource-rules-239647/

*Unless the owner allows you to use their assets. And by "owner", I don't mean the person who ripped them. I mean the company that made the game (you can check their terms of service, although in most cases it isn't allowed).

If they are custom made (e.g. some naruto models), you should be able to use them as long as the creator gives permission or they submitted it publicly (free) for anyone to use.

Level 17
It does not matter, even if the original organization is now defunct it is very likely somebody somewhere still owns the rights for the intellectual property.
Very few games have ever became public domain, likely only those whose creators willingly made them so.
Though if you know of any games that have publicly made their work (including the graphics and audio) open source then I assume there are no problems with that.

Regardless, of the legal circumstances there still is the ethical question of using somebody else's work without their permission, which is arguably far more crucial than the legal ramifications (which are after all very unlikely anyway).

Level 15
How about if the model is free source?

How about a guy in internet rip it and he/she say if that model created by him/her self and we don't know and he/she share it as free source and so we use it?

How about if the model is free source?

How about a guy in internet rip it and he/she say if that model created by him/her self and we don't know and he/she share it as free source and so we use it?

If he says he created it by himself, then you can use it (if it is released for free or if you bought it, or whatever). If someone finds out that it is a rip, then it will need to be replaced. :) But it won't necessarily be your fault--you can't always tell if something is ripped or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.