• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

ORPG help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
as of right night i wanted to make an ORPG based around an island setting, im hoping it will have:

Appealing story to everyone
Balanced combat
and of course people to play it

im maybe like 25% done terrain and i was wondering if anyone wanted to help, ill also release more info about the map too when i get more terrain done so i can take a break:ogre_datass:

Level 3
meh well im not to familiar with triggers every time i try to make one it always doesnt work for me i can do incredibly simple ones but thats about it

well i guess ill leave this one on the back burner for the moment until i start to learn some more

Level 6
Well, if you are more in the mood for solo work, you will need much more time, a good map does not need any limit of time you want to invest, just work on it step by step and one day, you will either be out of ideas or just have the feeling that is it "nearly done" and can be tested.
I started a map project for an ORPG like 5 years ago, worked on it 3 weeks and stopped in the middle of everything, having a crappy terrain, 6 rigged classes and a kind of empty world, just being giant.
After 5 years break I started working on it again 9 days ago and read kinda 10000 tutorials and checked some masterpieces for ideas. Now I am about to rebuild things I saw and add my own, personal, touch to it.
When I do not feel like working on it anymore, I'll probably just make another 5 years break xD

Level 8
Well, If you wanna make a good ORPG then try to download some open source maps and learn from them (Don't CnP everything, Just take a look and think 'Oh! So that's how he did it!') And if you have little knowledge about triggers check the tutorials and learn some basic triggers (vJASS are great but MUI are much simpler and sufficient). Try and get people to help or it'll be less impressive if you just go making it randomly yourself and getting your map rejected.
And most importantly,
Once you start a project don't get distracted. Keep working on it! Don't drop it when your 70% complete!

EDIT:
Please release you terrain, I wanna see!
Post a thread in the Map Development Forum if you are all set!

Status
Not open for further replies.