1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Units have been turned into heroes in our latest Icon Contest! Vote for the best icon set at the Icon Contest #18 Poll!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Operation Char

Submitted by Radicool
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Operation Char - Part 1
By: Radicool

Story

An alien artifact buried within the remains of a Command Center on planet Char. A small team is assigned to infiltrate through the Zerg and obtain the key to the future of humanity's enmity.

Author Note

I created this cinematic for the Cinematic Contest #6. Realising I couldn't fit the story into a 5 min short, I left the story unfinished. I unfortunately have no plans to continue a Part 2 to conclude this cinematic. I hope you enjoy.

Credits
Models

Starcraft char models - tobyfat50
Gate - The_Silent
Computer - The_Silent
Computer 2 - Stryderzero
Command Center - killst4r
Lighting - Radicool
Villager - Radicool
Bed - AlienAtSystem
Lab Tank - Scythy Dervish
Marauder - Fingolfin
Space Sky - Radicool
Crates - abriko
Hydralisk - abriko
Zergling - abriko
Dropship - abriko
Lightpost - bisnar13
Truck - Kofi_Banan
Workbot - Ket
Rum - Chriz.
Table - communist_orc
Sewer Pipes - pippo
Asteroids - Fingolfin
Planet - Fingolfin
Floodlight - Teaspoon
Fence - Teaspoon
Fan - Ribenamania
Blood Splats - Bad Omen

Tilesets

Metal 1 Tile - Game_Slave
Metal 2 Tile - Punisher_x
Space Tile - Radicool

Sound Effects

Zergling SFX - Blizzard
Hydralisk SFX - Blizzard
Spaceship SFX - Bluezone Corporation
Water Dripping SFX - Sound Effects
Gun Reloading 1 SFX - Jojikiba
Gun Reloading 2 SFX - ManPandaProductions
Breathing SFX - Nino Scuderi
Spaceship Passing SFX - Radicool
Zerg Footsteps SFX - Radicool
Fan SFX - Radicool
Metal Footsteps SFX - BerlinAtmospheres
Radio SFX - BerlinAtmospheres
Other SFX - Blizzard
Dropship Landing - NASA
Mysterious Ambience - HDGameTrailers22
Scary SFX - TSG4elf
Rumble Sound - TheCandid
Other SFX - Youtube Audio Library
Command Center Ambience - SoundEffectsFactory
Command Center Tension Rising - Sound Effects Factory

Keywords:
star craft, starcraft, futuristic, aliens, terran, space, base, station, marine, marine, marines, zergling, zerg
Contents

Operation Char (Map)

Reviews
[IMG][c]Rufus Review [IMG][c]Note: Very well executed! In all honesty, I have to say that this is one of the best cinematics I've seen. Wonderful atmosphere, actual tension and well-made visuals. A complete story would easily deserved a 5/5...
  1. [​IMG]
    Rufus Review

[​IMG] Note:
    Very well executed!
    In all honesty, I have to say that this is one of the best cinematics I've seen.

Wonderful atmosphere, actual tension and well-made visuals.
    A complete story would easily deserved a 5/5 rating, but as it is now, it leaves the watcher with a cliffhanger without answers.

Approved with a rating of 4/5.

This review contains spoilers!
    A lot of sound details included, such as steps on metal, the "chuff, chuff, chuff" of a fan, and static sounds. You used all sounds expertly and make them really add a great deal to the atmosphere.

The camera movements are really well made. I really loved the first sighting of a zerg (or something) that just snuck behind a rock. Furthermore, the scene when one of the marines die is really cool. the flashing of lightning effects as they fire, the weak outline of a beast in the dark... Awesome.

The terrain was perhaps not overwhelmingly good, but it was good enough to clearly represent the scenes nature. However, with the lightning effects that you added here and there, the general outlook of the map is very good.

What you could improve would be the fade filter you used close to the end of the map, as it was close to impossible to read. "Operation" something...
    Also, at some points the "clank, clank" of stepping on metal is missing.

2. Rufus

Rufus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]
    Rufus Review

[​IMG] Note:
    Very well executed!
    In all honesty, I have to say that this is one of the best cinematics I've seen.

Wonderful atmosphere, actual tension and well-made visuals.
    A complete story would easily deserved a 5/5 rating, but as it is now, it leaves the watcher with a cliffhanger without answers.

Approved with a rating of 4/5.

This review contains spoilers!
    A lot of sound details included, such as steps on metal, the "chuff, chuff, chuff" of a fan, and static sounds. You used all sounds expertly and make them really add a great deal to the atmosphere.

The camera movements are really well made. I really loved the first sighting of a zerg (or something) that just snuck behind a rock. Furthermore, the scene when one of the marines die is really cool. the flashing of lightning effects as they fire, the weak outline of a beast in the dark... Awesome.

The terrain was perhaps not overwhelmingly good, but it was good enough to clearly represent the scenes nature. However, with the lightning effects that you added here and there, the general outlook of the map is very good.

What you could improve would be the fade filter you used close to the end of the map, as it was close to impossible to read. "Operation" something...
    Also, at some points the "clank, clank" of stepping on metal is missing.

3. Rex.

Rex.

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Nice execution, this is impressive. 4/5

4. GoddessVero

GoddessVero

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Simply sublime.

5. Shadow Fury

Shadow Fury

Resources:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I think you should add a glassy cover to the spaceship. Right now it appears like the crew is on some floating flat metallic lamina.
    Also consider scaling up the spaceship when it lands on the planet because it appears so tiny compared to the soldiers.
    The ending is a bit ambiguous. The monster kills a crew member and... it's over. I think you should elaborate it more and continue the cinematic until, for example, the crew leaves the planet safely or they all die.

6. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Stunning atmosphere and more than decent camera shots.

7. leventopoulo

leventopoulo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Sound interesting, I will check it out when I return home from work.

8. clockwork2

clockwork2

Resources:
    Resources:
    Damn this was good, the tension felt real and I was tensely holding an imaginary gauss rifle the whole time. Woulda been even better with VO I bet! Looking forward to part two of Operation Char!

9. Sgt.Pierce

Sgt.Pierce

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I love the camera works, impressive angles! :D 5/5 will do! Great work!

10. cleavinghammer

cleavinghammer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Very well done, great atmosphere. The only thing my inner fanboy found annoying was that it happened on Char instead of some backwater planet.

11. David Sashy

David Sashy

Resources:
    Resources:
    LoL. This map is quiet funny for me. Nice work 5/5

12. clockwork2

clockwork2

Resources:
    Resources:
    funny? Weird.

13. David Sashy

David Sashy

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's funny becouse it can not be taken seriously. It's funny couse It's a parody of itself. And yes, the Warcraft3- Sc Models looks weird.... :infl_thumbs_up:

14. Radicool

Radicool

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I intended to create a Horror/Sci Fi animation taking influence from the Starcraft universe. Achieving this within the Warcraft 3 engine proved difficult, and to be honest, a little impractical, mostly because of the inability to bring in detailed custom animations, particularly facial animations to express emotion. I did what I could with what I had. The experience was fun and I learned a lot from it.

15. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hey, I think I saw my Scantid model there xD

Great cinematic, btw...

16. darwin

darwin

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Nice looking! I loved the attack scene... sound effects were well synched as well.

Only glich I saw was at one point you cut to a planet and it spins rapidly to get in position before spinning slowly.

17. tulee

tulee

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I remember watching this previously. Just watched it again. Glad you added a video link in the description so people can choose to watch it in without opening Wc3.

18. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Awesome.