• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Open a 120mb map in the editor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I have gone nuts with the amount of things to add so as you can see it is now pretty big. Since my computer has been pretty slow for a while now I decided to reboot it completly, so I saved my map on a usb.

However, I can no longer see the map in the editor anymore. The map is in the WC3 map file together with my others maps. But when I open the editor I can no longer see it, even though I can spot my other maps in the same map.

Is there a way to fix this somehow? I read something about a special wc3 program some time ago that allows you to open incredibly huge maps, but I can't find anything on google.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Sounds like your user account does not have read permission for the map file. Especially if you are using a modern secure operating system like Vista or Windows 7 this is likely the case as anything on the C drive is controlled very carefully.

The solution is simple, while logged in as an administrator right click the map file and go to properties. Change to the "Security" tab and view the permissions for all users on the system. Make sure that your account (the one running WorldEdit) has "Full Control" of the file. If not use Edit to make it so that the account has full control. You could also give all users full control over the file if you are not really using the user account system for managing file access.

Level 2
I tried all of that and it still doesn't work. I set it to System and I even changed the editor to "system"... Then I tried to run as administrator but it still didn't work. But I can still see my other maps.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Try opening it by double clicking (since when you install WC3 it makes a registry link for map type files so they can be quick opened by double clicking on them). It might give a reason why World Edit is not seeing the map. You could also try a shorter file name, running the editor as an administrator, putting the map in another folder etc.

Level 2
I tried both and none of them works. I tried double clicking on three more of my maps and not a single one opened up the correct map, just the editor.

I'm on Windows 7.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The game must not have installed properly and your registry keys for the game are broken. Be aware that "registry cleaners" often can do this as they have no idea what they delete.

Open regedit.exe (hit it in the start menu search to get it fast).
Navigate to...
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.w3x
It should have a RE_SZ with value "WorldEdit.ScenarioEx" (no "", they just to tell you when the value starts and stops).

Navigate to...
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.w3m
It should have a RE_SZ with value "WorldEdit.Scenario".

Navigate to...
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WorldEdit.Scenario
and
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WorldEdit.ScenarioEx

Look through them and check the shell command paths correctly point at your editor. If any of the above is missing then the registry keys were either deleted or the game was never installed. If you use JNGP you can just go to the Extensions menu and enable "Register Shell Extensions" and it should fix your registry up (admin mode probably required).

Level 2
Nvm, thanks for your assistance Dr Super Good but I finally figured out what went wrong! Thread might as well get deleted now.

Status
Not open for further replies.