• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Can't open my map in world editor anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hello.

I got a problem on my HDD recently. There was an error that make the HDD formatting as RAW instead of NTFS. Then only thing i could do was to erase and format the HDD. I found a tool (EaseUS) to recover all my files before erasing and formatting the HDD. The program worked well with other files, like some Photoshop files or other games save files. But when i try to open the wc3 maps in the editor it says

upload_2018-2-19_23-25-5.png

Translated in english: Impossible to load file G:\map.w3x
-Can't open the main map

I think something went wrong in the recovery process.

I tried to open the map with MPQmaster but i can't, it says ''error opening archive''
I need help, if someone knows how to fix the map or at least recover some files from it (like triggers preferably in GUI and object editor data)
I have several maps, 20 at least with this problem.

Thanks in advance

Edit: added corrupted map file

Attachments

• ElementTest4v4smallN.w3x
    816.2 KB · Views: 82
Level 9
If MPQEdit cannot open them then they are lost forever. An unknown amount of data might be missing from them. Sure some data might be recoverable, but recovering such data is extremely labour intensive so not something people will do for free.

I tried to open it with MPQEdit with no success, still get an error. Damn with all the time i spent on those i feel so sad and angry. But i you mentioned that someone could try to recover some files from them, there is just one map that i really really care of, i wolud pay someone to do it(if it's not a lot of money).

If you open the file in a text editor it doesn't seem to contain anything related to the WC3 file formats.

I actually scanned it byte for byte looking for an MPQ header and there was none.

Well thank you, so all the data are lost forever, no other way to do it? Damn...

Thanks both for the replies

Well thank you, so all the data are lost forever, no other way to do it? Damn...

Thanks both for the replies

If you backed up your whole HDD, did any of the other files backup correctly? If so, try looking for a backup of your map in war3's Test folder, or if you are using JNGP/WEX, check the backups folder.

Try xDep it may recover most of the data And ik it's a deprotection tool but take the risk .

If you read my last post then clearly this will not work.

Level 9
Try xDep it may recover most of the data And ik it's a deprotection tool but take the risk .

Well since i am desperate i will try this too, thanks.

If you backed up your whole HDD, did any of the other files backup correctly? If so, try looking for a backup of your map in war3's Test folder, or if you are using JNGP/WEX, check the backups folder.

The problem is i didn't backup my old HDD, it's impossible to back it up when the RAW formatting issue comes up. With the recovery tool you can recover some files but all the partitions, folders, and other things are impossible to recover, just the files. Most of the files i recovered didnt had the same name, just like file001 file002 etc. It was a nightmare to check every file one by one. I already erased and formatted with full option the HDD to use it again.
Other files are corrupted like some .psd some .rar and others savegames.

I was thinking of using HxD editor, but dnt know if it works, basically a program that allows to modify every bit (0 and 1) in the file.

thousands of dollars

Well, that's out of my range

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
What if i copy and paste the headers from another map with HxD in the file? It's pretty dumb but as i said i will try everything
The MPQA header contains addresses and other information specific to an archive. The header for another archive will as good as never work.

If one assumes default WorldEdit made the map one might be able to brute force some blocks of some files. What files they belong to is another question. If one could even make a whole file from the pieces is another.

Status
Not open for further replies.