• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Onyx Nether Drake

so.. this one has been dragged out a lot o_O This was my idea of a WoW-like, scratch-made, warcraft-3-fitting netherdrake model. I hope he turned out nicely

I'd like to thank 67chrome for a great texture, and Sellenisko for all the animation tweaks, fixes of my bad rigging, and what not. :xxd: hope you like it folks, and hope portrait's jaw isn't too derpy, lol

feel free to use this model, but give us credit or the netherwing drakes will have a rather.. different kind of giblets to feast on >:3

(PS: main model has his own basic camera)

Keywords:
A, WoW, like, war3, netherdrake, model
Contents

Onyx Nether Drake (Model)

Onyx Nether Drake (Model)

Reviews
10:48, 26th Mar 2014 MiniMage: The wings still look like they could use some work, but it doesn't hinder its approval. It's also a rather large filesize. Anyhow, approved.

M

10:48, 26th Mar 2014
MiniMage: The wings still look like they could use some work, but it doesn't hinder its approval. It's also a rather large filesize. Anyhow, approved.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Does it have a landing/starting and a ground walk/attack animation?

If not, can you add it?

Best way to do that is to use "morph" for transitioning from air to ground and "morph alternate" for transitioning from ground to air. You can then tag all the ground animations "alternate".

We definitely need more dragon models that can both walk and fly!

Does it have a landing/starting and a ground walk/attack animation?

If not, can you add it?

Best way to do that is to use "morph" for transitioning from air to ground and "morph alternate" for transitioning from ground to air. You can then tag all the ground animations "alternate".

We definitely need more dragon models that can both walk and fly!

I'm afraid that there aren't many people who would want to undertake something like creating a whole new animation set <.< i have made this model merely as a fitting replacement for the silly war3 netherdrakes

Level 26
I'm afraid that there aren't many people who would want to undertake something like creating a whole new animation set <.< i have made this model merely as a fitting replacement for the silly war3 netherdrakes

Animation transfer could probably pull that off though. You could transfer the stoneform of the gargoyls and edit that, then create another model as the alternate unit and add the alternate morph animation to that one. I would recommend editing the snap dragon for ground movement. XD

Just a thought.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Huh. This is actually pretty cool (have to see it in-game), and I'm glad we have some reasonable "alternative Dragon" (all the Wc3 ones are all the same, and boring by now).

I would freakin' love to see this done with in-game textures, personally... Even if it was green or blue instead of black (like a "Swamp Drake" or something). Wish I could do it myself... Would that be ok (if I found someone)?

Huh. This is actually pretty cool (have to see it in-game), and I'm glad we have some reasonable "alternative Dragon" (all the Wc3 ones are all the same, and boring by now).

I would freakin' love to see this done with in-game textures, personally... Even if it was green or blue instead of black (like a "Swamp Drake" or something). Wish I could do it myself... Would that be ok (if I found someone)?

lol.. why not? but d'ya wanna wait until this one is approved, so i can post up the rest of the color variations. after they too are approved, you can ingame this :p

I was going to suggest this as well.
But seeing as this already has been suggested then I'll suggest something else.
How about a pure player colored model?
For none melee maps I can see that being quite nice when fizzling around with a unit's color.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
lol.. why not? but d'ya wanna wait until this one is approved, so i can post up the rest of the color variations. after they too are approved, you can ingame this :p
You have more colors? Lol, sure. Although I don't know why you think I can make it all in-game... I'd have no idea where to start. I know it involves 'remapping' the 'uvw' or something, something about textures... But I don't think Magos can do it, so I'm not sure what tools to use. :<

You have more colors? Lol, sure. Although I don't know why you think I can make it all in-game... I'd have no idea where to start. I know it involves 'remapping' the 'uvw' or something, something about textures... But I don't think Magos can do it, so I'm not sure what tools to use. :<

xD didn't you say you wanted to ask someone to do it? with my permission? xD

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Just saying... I mean; it has been done before, so why not try at least?
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/walking-dragon-176197/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/deathwing-200374/?prev=search=deathwing&d=list&r=20

Having both ground and air animations is the bread and butter of any good dragon boss fight.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
xD didn't you say you wanted to ask someone to do it? with my permission? xD
I did. But I was more asking for permission for someone else to edit it, since (as aforementioned) I have neither the skill, time, nor knowledge to do so. : ) You seemed to indicate that I would be able to do it.

Probably. I mean, I've switched Trolls from Forest -> Jungle by trading textures, but that only works sometimes, when the wrap is nice. I don't know how to change the wrap (or the way the polygons line up on the texture); how does one do that?

I did. But I was more asking for permission for someone else to edit it, since (as aforementioned) I have neither the skill, time, nor knowledge to do so. : ) You seemed to indicate that I would be able to do it.

Probably. I mean, I've switched Trolls from Forest -> Jungle by trading textures, but that only works sometimes, when the wrap is nice. I don't know how to change the wrap (or the way the polygons line up on the texture); how does one do that?

well.. wrap gets 'understandable' when you eyeball the mesh itself, how triangles are put together.. look for familiar shapes in the UV, if one is halved, then it mirrors, if it's a strange shape, look on the texture to see why, scrutinize how they did, try to tweak.. there is a bit of trial and error in everything :)

my drake should be straightforward, i think

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
well.. wrap gets 'understandable' when you eyeball the mesh itself, how triangles are put together.. look for familiar shapes in the UV, if one is halved, then it mirrors, if it's a strange shape, look on the texture to see why, scrutinize how they did, try to tweak.. there is a bit of trial and error in everything :)

my drake should be straightforward, i think

I get all that (at least, from what little I've studied), but my question is more along the lines of "physical how". I can open a model in Magos, in War3Viewer, & move vertices around, shrink things, rotate things, translate things... But there's no way to adjust where the polygons fall on the given texture. A "UVW Editor", I guess. Where can I find that?

~~~

Sorry to derail your topic. Do you wanna move this to VM's or some-such? :p

I get all that (at least, from what little I've studied), but my question is more along the lines of "physical how". I can open a model in Magos, in War3Viewer, & move vertices around, shrink things, rotate things, translate things... But there's no way to adjust where the polygons fall on the given texture. A "UVW Editor", I guess. Where can I find that?

~~~

Sorry to derail your topic. Do you wanna move this to VM's or some-such? :p

auh, sorry :xxd: you can edit and UV the model in mdlvis. milkshape is good for scratch-modeling, as is blender.