• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ogre drudge

It's hammertime!

It's been ages since I first made an ogre peon in SD, but now here he is in all his glory. Hope I'm not the only diehard ogre fan and you guys and gals can make a custom ogre race soon. Which brings me to my next question, which ogre should I make next? (Don't say Cho'gall, he's been done by Lorecraft already)

Don't use the ogre soundset for these guys, it's better to use the peasant/peon for example. The peasant works surprisingly well. I recommend using a 0.7 scale for melee maps.

EDIT: I got the attack and stand work animations mixed up
Previews
Contents

Ogre drudge (Model)

Ogre drudge portrait (Model)

Ogre drudge pink (Icon)

Ogre drudge red (Icon)

Reviews
Barorque
Approved, very good and useful worker model! Ridiculous nit-picking from me (not relevant for approval, but possible improvements): Mr. inventor of ORM size reduction, how 'bout you use your own trick and make that ORM 50% image size ;) Gold and...

I love the attack animation where he reverses his weapon and smashes down with the hammer side of it.
Excellent work, as per usual! :peasant-cheers-back:
That was supposed to be the stand work animation, but I mixed them up. Now he properly swings his "axe" when chopping trees and attacking, and uses his hammer when building. But I'm glad you noticed, I had to manually animate the hammer for that animation :ogre_hurrhurr:

I've waited so long for a worker ogre, it's awesome !

I myself plan to make Ogre's model in the near future !

I have to improve a liitle bit this model ; the skin and the eyes, maybe also the hammer

I don't think it looks like Mogor like it's in wow or hearthstone(not even the heads are in the right side lol) . So there is alot of room for improvement

Last edited:
Level 8
I think a ranged Ogre next would be super useful. I always liked the "Stone Thrower" Ogre, but a Spear Thrower works too!

Level 48
So god damn good. I agree that a ranged Ogre would be fantastic, as well as a different caster, with robes etc. The most important thing I think is not to re-use the same default Ogre animations for all of them. Ogre heroes would not go amiss either.
I'd love to see an Ogre riding something, but I'm not sure which beast could carry one. Nothing native to the Eastern Kingdoms anyway.

So god damn good. I agree that a ranged Ogre would be fantastic, as well as a different caster, with robes etc. The most important thing I think is not to re-use the same default Ogre animations for all of them. Ogre heroes would not go amiss either.
I'd love to see an Ogre riding something, but I'm not sure which beast could carry one. Nothing native to the Eastern Kingdoms anyway.
That's why I took so long to make ogre units, they can't be easily reanimated unless you do it from scratch

Approved, very good and useful worker model!

Ridiculous nit-picking from me (not relevant for approval, but possible improvements):
  • Mr. inventor of ORM size reduction, how 'bout you use your own trick and make that ORM 50% image size ;)
  • Gold and Lumber work anims don't switch tool to hammer side like "Stand Work" anim
  • Sleep anim has his front cloth fully expose his... 👀

Approved, very good and useful worker model!

Ridiculous nit-picking from me (not relevant for approval, but possible improvements):
  • Mr. inventor of ORM size reduction, how 'bout you use your own trick and make that ORM 50% image size ;)
  • Gold and Lumber work anims don't switch tool to hammer side like "Stand Work" anim
  • Sleep anim has his front cloth fully expose his... 👀
Since you showed me that Diffuses can be reduced when they have no alpha, I stopped bothering with the ORM :ugly:
I mostly forget about it.
I'll see if it's feasible to switch to the hammer, it's not linked to the bone_hand so it's a lottery

Level 12
Can you make an undead Ogre? You know, some bones sticking out here and there. Maybe the open stomach part of the abomination.

A recommendation?
How about you transform the Gold Mine into an open pit strip mine, so the ogres do not try and squeeze themselves into some little cave?
Just a thought.
I'd say that's a good idea, but neither does the other worker units, or any unit for that matter, if you compare their sizes to the entrance of a gold mine. All buildings in the game look like no unit would fit in their doors (if there is any). Good example would be a Peasant and the door of a Town Hall.

I'd say that's a good idea, but neither does the other worker units, or any unit for that matter, if you compare their sizes to the entrance of a gold mine. All buildings in the game look like no unit would fit in their doors (if there is any). Good example would be a Peasant and the door of a Town Hall.
True, but we typically think of smaller humanoid workers entering a gold mine with ease. We're talking about something bigger.
Think of big dig-site vehicles used for digging for gold in the Yukon. Those things need plenty of open space and proper footing to even maneuver. Similar with ogres.
Besides, I think making a strip mine would make in-game mining look realistic. I mean, if ogres were to exist in real-life, don't you think they ought to have plenty of space to mine and deposit dug-out rocks?
Just saying.

True, but we typically think of smaller humanoid workers entering a gold mine with ease. We're talking about something bigger.
Think of big dig-site vehicles used for digging for gold in the Yukon. Those things need plenty of open space and proper footing to even maneuver. Similar with ogres.
Besides, I think making a strip mine would make in-game mining look realistic. I mean, if ogres were to exist in real-life, don't you think they ought to have plenty of space to mine and deposit dug-out rocks?
Just saying.
Reminder that Mr Ogre man wants us to resize the Ogre Drudge model to a smaller scale--almost as small as a Peon but larger. You can just resize the Gold Mine into a very much larger scale, if you're talking about realism. The in-game Gold Mine isn't exactly as big as the ones in real life.

image0.png

And to say that you are talking about something bigger wouldn't be necessary since just this Peasant alone can't fit inside the Gold Mine. Even if you say that he'd squeeze to get in, I don't think he'll fit once he gets out with all bag of +10 gold he's carrying.

image1.png

This model has a unique gold and lumber stand/walk/attack/work animation, but that doesn't mean we should have a split-open Gold Mine. Maybe if the Ogre Drudges are mining gold ore veins instead of a mine, that would be more appropriate.

Last edited: