• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ocean Beyond

Beyond the oceans there is a land, where the sun is as big as the eyes of early-risers, poets are the inheritors of water, wisdom, and light.

Map Features

208431-68b922c0059b74b0d640282fca7d1f80.jpg
Players
208430-a0bf11462cec6338b8e882705c9309cd.jpg
Creep Camps
208427-67ced567f320d96ce63cdb2eb304a5d4.jpg
Neutral Buildings
208423-626cd1b769e6dcd3ae555e8d52671d6c.jpg
Gold Mines
Changelog

1. Fixed the fountains guards.
2. Fixed the pathing blockers.
3. Changed/fixed some creeps and item drops.
4. Fixed some of the pathings.
-------
5. Made the island expansion camp easier.
6. Expanded the dragon island.
7. Fixed the chokepoints.
8. Mercenary camps are now using ground units guarding them.
Map made for Melee Mapping Contest #2 .

Enjoy! :)
Previews
Contents

Ocean Beyond (Map)

Reviews
WolfFarkas
the map is very good indeed!! I really like the waterfalls minor sugestions: I see you try to make the creeps to perfect fit like a pure murlock camp, pure lizzard camp, pure harpy camp... while that is great for centaurs, murlocks and razormane it...
deepstrasz
Awaiting Update based on reviews here: Melee Mapping Contest #2 - Results
twojstaryjakcie
The changes you implemented are good, however there is still much that needs to be worked on. ✓ You moved back the Gold Mine and changed the creeps so that they are more managable by Humans (although one more Furbolg couldn't hurt), you increased the...
Level 29
the map is very good indeed!! I really like the waterfalls

minor sugestions:

I see you try to make the creeps to perfect fit like a pure murlock camp, pure lizzard camp, pure harpy camp...
while that is great for centaurs, murlocks and razormane it may have some problems for others creeps like:

1) thunder lizzards,
those guys have splash damage, so having 3 thunder lizzards are dangerous for humans who creeps with the militia (for expand fast).

2) harpies,
undeads can´t take airborne creeps until tier 2 (nerubians with web skill developed or the item buyable at shop). while orcs,humans and NE have trolls, dwarf riflemans and archers in tier 1.

3) Wildkins in the red creep, 5 melee units only, that creep can be killed with 1-2 air unit (murlocks in the mana fountain have ensnare so they can counter air).

I sugest to re-think those creeps

is good to have melee and caster creeps (caster with mana for mana burn target).

mixing races is also cool like I don´t know:
wildkins and lizzards 2 wildkins level 4 and 2 lizzards level 3 so you have melee and ranged units together.

also you can use creeps of others tilesets, you can have some sunken ruins crabs or makuras in the water parts.

of course this is just a subjetive sugestion, do as you wish

hope to help

good luck and see ya

1) thunder lizzards, those guys have splash damage, so having 3 thunder lizzards are dangerous for humans who creeps with the militia (for expand fast).
Well, I intentionally put them there for the player to be engaged at the very first moments of gameplay, but seems to be problematic huh?
2) harpies, undeads can´t take airborne creeps until tier 2 (nerubians with web skill developed or the item buyable at shop). while orcs,humans and NE have trolls, dwarf riflemans and archers in tier 1.
You're right, will fix it.
3) Wildkins in the red creep, 5 melee units only, that creep can be killed with 1-2 air unit (murlocks in the mana fountain have ensnare so they can counter air).
Cool note! Though I don't think I can do it now, I shall definitely fix it after the contest is over.

Thanks for the tips, most appreciated!

Good luck to you as well!

Level 29
Well, I intentionally put them there for the player to be engaged at the very first moments of gameplay, but seems to be problematic huh?

You're right, will fix it.

Cool note! Though I don't think I can do it now, I shall definitely fix it after the contest is over.

Thanks for the tips, most appreciated!

Good luck to you as well!

Melee Mapping Contest #2

Level 8
The changes you implemented are good, however there is still much that needs to be worked on.

You moved back the Gold Mine and changed the creeps so that they are more managable by Humans (although one more Furbolg couldn't hurt), you increased the difficulty of the Goblin Laboratory camp, making the Shipyard an actually viable transport option early on.

The island expansion could still be worked on as it's still much more difficult than the regular expansion. Moreover, it's harder to defend which makes it even less appealing. I really suggest lowering the difficulty of the island camp.

As for the Dragon camp, it hasn't changed even though it should, since the area on which your ground units can move there is too small to effectively pull the dragons in order to mitigate damage taken. Either expand the area on which the units can move or simply make the camp easier to clear, as for the time being, it's extremely tough to clear and hardly tempting as instead of risking losing numerous units in a fight with dragons, you could always be trying to harass/creepjack your opponent or simply creep safer camps.

Also, I think you could expand the chokepoints, because as Sister She mentioned, these are quite easy to defend. You could also remove some of the cliffs and trees at starting locations and maybe even expansions, thus making the back of each base have access to water so that you can use ships to harass your opponent's bases.

Apart from that, I suggest that the Mercenary Camp should be guarded by more ground units (or maybe even ground units exclusively) in order to make it worthwhile for Night Elves to clear it with an Ancient of War (because currently, pretty much no camp is worth creeping with an AoW).

As I said before, the changes implemented already are good, but you are not finished yet.

Edit: Changes have been made and in spite of some issues still remaining (such as how close Goblin Merchants are to each other, but changing something like this would require reworking a large portion of the map), I think the map is fit for approval.

Last edited:
Level 2
This map provides a different vibe from all of other naval melee maps. Also balanced. I like it.