• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ocean of Tears

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Inspired by a zone of the same name in Everquest.

I tried a more gimmicky melee map focused around ships but I'm not sure how fun it actually turned out to be.

AI obviously could not figure out what to do with the shipyard so don't try playing with the computer.
Previews
Contents

Ocean of Tears (Map)

Reviews
mafe
Well, to be honest this is a not a map most melee players will enjoy playing against other humans.... The downsides are: -No player interaction possible early on, even in lategame the distances are very long. -No expansion possibilities. -Very basic...
Level 3
I figured it would be cooler to just have deep water everywhere like an actual ocean so the only way to cross is by boat

And I thought 1 gold mine would be enough until you could afford to travel to the one in the center, but I might just change my mind and put another guarded by an orange camp in each landmass

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
Well, to be honest this is a not a map most melee players will enjoy playing against other humans.... The downsides are:
-No player interaction possible early on, even in lategame the distances are very long.
-No expansion possibilities.
-Very basic terrain, not polished. The playable terrain extends until the edges of the map.
-Trees far away from main buildings.
-Air units have such a big advantage, I don't see why anyone would bother making ground units after reaching tier 2.

I understand you are new to making melee maps, which I'm happy to see. Unfortunately it isn't as easy as it may appear at first to make a good melee map.
This map would basically need to be remade completely to be anywhere near even the worst blizzard maps. Therefore map set to substandard. Sorry. Try to look at the standard blizzard maps see what they are doing to improve as a mapper.

Last edited: