• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Obscured Hope

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Hi, I made a melee map, its symmetrical for 1vs1 fights.

it has the following:
11 creep camps
2 mercenary camps
4 gold mines

Selected item drops for the creep camps, based on their difficulty.
Map made by me KOYK_GR (aka ELoyros)
Previews
Contents

Obscured Hope (Map)

Reviews
mafe
I'm sorry for the long delay until the review. Starting with the upsides: Placing mines like this is something I've never seen before. Probably has some unpredictable downsides, but it's interesting for sure. The general layout of the map could also...
The map is... passable? Slightly below decent, even for quick play, 'cause it's too small. The terrain is too flat, and there's little to no use of doodads around except for those two studies, which is still bare-bones in my opinion; it's just trees and dirt. Though, it's sort of a good start, maybe expand it a little bit? Yes, it's symmetrical. In fact, it's too symmetrical and doesn't look a bit natural--how the trees are put in rows--it's just too clean for me. The item drops are... okay-ish. May someone go in-depth with the map review on this.

Level 6
The idea is kinda interesting in my opinion, but the map lacks some mandatory features such as Goblin Shop (at least 1) and unprotected tavern.

Tree lines are too far from main buildings and there are holes in them.

Rush distance is way too small, tower rush strategies are almost indefensible.

Item drops are absurdly imbalanced:
1) The fact you felt like removing Cloack of Shadows from Level 1 table is wierd but OK.
2) Ring of Archimagi is like Level 6 item or at least Level 5, you put it in Level 2 itemtable.
3) Level 2 itemtable has 2 items, Level 3 & Level 4 have 1 item each. Player that clears a creep spot should get a random item, that's one of the basic mechanics of the game.
4) Level 5 item table has Ankh of Reincarnation, Claws +12 and MASK OF DEATH. And though Ankh and Claws are items of at least comparable power level, Mask of Death is way overpowered in 1v1.

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
I'm sorry for the long delay until the review.

Starting with the upsides: Placing mines like this is something I've never seen before. Probably has some unpredictable downsides, but it's interesting for sure. The general layout of the map could also work well (if it was about 2-4 times larger). The "library caverns" are quite nice. The creepcamps also mostly make sense

But that's about it. I agree with pretty much everything @Deserted said, and it seems all of these issues still exist. In addition:
1. The central creeps can easily aggro by accident.
2. The merc camps have the downside that mercs always spawn on the bottom left of the camp, no matter on which side of the camp the player is.
3. Many parts of the map dont have a lot of details.
4. Fastexpanding in an essential strategy in many matchups, but here it is impossible.
5. Overall not many creepcamps that can be taken early on.
6. The ramp between the red spawn and the middle is bugged (although It wont really matter since it is covered by trees).

There are probably some other issues, but overall these are already too many.

I'll be honest, I have a hard to imagine how this map will be turned into anything a "normal" wc3 player will want to play more than a few times, unless the map is overhauled to an extent that it could as well be remade from scratch. Since the categories of the hive were renamed recently, I think Useful/simple is a fitting description of this map, so I'll set it to this. If you make some major updates and want me to have another look, feel free to contact me.