• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Crash] Object Editor texts' are gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
I guess I'm already screwed on this one, but some hints could be good if anyone have encountered the same thing and might have an answer for this issue.

I went back to an old map for fun and began to improve it. I made several functions in the trigger editor and apparently there was a syntax error and the map crashed for some reason.

So, I open the map again and face this (large image):

Z1O5dVR.jpg

All the object editor data texts' (units, abilities, items; everything) are gone and replaced with TRIGSTR strings.

Anything that can be done?

Level 21
I guess I'm already screwed on this one, but some hints could be good if anyone have encountered the same thing and might have an answer for this issue.

I went back to an old map for fun and began to improve it. I made several functions in the trigger editor and apparently there was a syntax error and the map crashed for some reason.

So, I open the map again and face this (large image):

Z1O5dVR.jpg

All the object editor data texts' (units, abilities, items; everything) are gone and replaced with TRIGSTR strings.

Anything that can be done?

If you have a previous version of the map, then you can extract TriggerData from it and to this version. That should fix it.

Level 19
If you have a previous version of the map, then you can extract TriggerData from it and to this version. That should fix it.

Yeah, forgot to mention, I do have a backup map, however, it's dated 2012/08/12. I've done quite some huge work already.

Lets say I do export the strings from the old backup map and import it to the most recent one, how will this function with units/triggers/other stuff in the most recent map?

Level 21
Yeah, forgot to mention, I do have a backup map, however, it's dated 2012/08/12. I've done quite some huge work already.

Lets say I do export the strings from the old backup map and import it to the most recent one, how will this function with units/triggers/other stuff in the most recent map?

I'm not entirely sure, but I think your units will just get older descriptions/names, except the completely new units, which will get nothing.

If you have JNGPE, then Doomlord's suggestion will help with finding a newer version.

Level 19
Do you test the map recently? If yes then you can find it in the Maps/Test folder.

Yes, I did, unfortunately with the bad map. After the map crashed I did run it asap just to see it wasn't corrupted and then I saw that the texts' was messed up in game. So this option won't work...

I'm not entirely sure, but I think your units will just get older descriptions/names, except the completely new units, which will get nothing.

If you have JNGPE, then Doomlord's suggestion will help with finding a newer version.

I guess I could try this with a backup file. Hopefully the older ones will get the older strings as you said and the new ones I'll just have to re-do, which is about 10% of the data, so it's not much.

I'll try this and edit here for info.

Level 19
JNGP stores backup maps in the backup forder. With some luck you can find a version without the bug.

I don't have JNPG installed and the original editor only store the most recent loaded map in the test folder...

Anyway, I tried to export/import data and encountered issues.

OJN0gLC.jpg

Apparently older strings can't be placed into newer maps...

yatLHK9.jpg

This will remove the newest data, so this isn't an option either...

Level 21
I don't have JNPG installed and the original editor only store the most recent loaded map in the test folder...

Anyway, I tried to export/import data and encountered issues.

OJN0gLC.jpg

Apparently older strings can't be placed into newer maps...

yatLHK9.jpg

This will remove the newest data, so this isn't an option either...

Well, it is also a possibility to create dummy strings in place of the missing ones. Although it isn't the best way anymore. That requires manually changing the strings.

Level 19
Well, it is also a possibility to create dummy strings in place of the missing ones. Although it isn't the best way anymore. That requires manually changing the strings.

Yeah, I thought of that too; but apparently trigger strings are stored in this string file too and those are unaffected in the map, it's only the object editor and I've edited a lot of strings in the trigger editor.

So I guess I'll have to manually re-write every string in the object editor.

Level 30
String problem or mostl likely corrupted strings, experienced this one. Only way is yes to rewrite this. The time it will take will depend on how many texts that you have in the game. Those that you have altered and such. Mostly this is caused by leaving blank spaces in fields that shuould not be like leaving blank paths or as you said, the syntax error. This happened to me.

Yeah, I thought of that too; but apparently trigger strings are stored in this string file too and those are unaffected in the map, it's only the object editor and I've edited a lot of strings in the trigger editor.

So I guess I'll have to manually re-write every string in the object editor.

You may be able to recover a portion of them. Instead of using the default editor's import feature, you should try opening your backup with an MPQ editor, extracting the war3map.wts (string table) file, and replacing the one in your recent version (make a backup of your recent map before doing this).

Perhaps that would work, assuming that a portion of the strings are still saved under the same TRIG_STR indexes. If not, then you can at least open the wts file with notepad and use that to remember some of the strings you used.

Otherwise, try looking in your JASS NewGen Pack folder, under "backups", and see if you have an old version from before the crash (assuming you have JNGP).

Good luck.

Level 19
You may be able to recover a portion of them. Instead of using the default editor's import feature, you should try opening your backup with an MPQ editor, extracting the war3map.wts (string table) file, and replacing the one in your recent version (make a backup of your recent map before doing this).

Perhaps that would work, assuming that a portion of the strings are still saved under the same TRIG_STR indexes. If not, then you can at least open the wts file with notepad and use that to remember some of the strings you used.

Otherwise, try looking in your JASS NewGen Pack folder, under "backups", and see if you have an old version from before the crash (assuming you have JNGP).

Good luck.

I'll try to use a MPQ editor and see what I can do about it, good idea, but I doubt it will make any difference however.

I didn't knew you actually could open the string file with notepad, I tried with another file, the script one I think and it couldn't read that properly. So that is great, as I've forgot many of the strings I used as description.

Thank you all for the help, +rep

Status
Not open for further replies.