Northrend Bound is a strategy-RPG game.
It is based in an alternate Warcraft universe where something happened to the human kingdom of Northrend.
You are a lowly wanderer (of varying races) determined to become the next king. How you do it? That's completely up to you.
My goal is to make something that's as fun as possible, with many different ways to go about playing the game.
The old kingdom is all but gone.
A decade ago, dark magic washed over these lands and exacted a terrible price.
The forests, are dying.
The mountains, are in perpetual frost.
The animals become more aggressive day by day.
Undead roam the coasts,
and the Queen has shut out her people. She hasn't been seen since that day.
What do you hope to accomplish, wanderer?
Features include but are not limited to:
- Single player OR co-op OR free-for-all. Can add computer players.
- Hunting, fishing, mining, farming, lumber gathering, digging, trading, base building
- Crafting with over 200 items
- Multiple ways to develop your characters
- "QWER - DFG" hotkeys for skills
- "-help" and other in-game commands with game modes
- Kick-ass backpack system
- Semi-balanced races; they have strengths and weaknesses
- Unit ranking system
- Morality system based on reputation with the townsfolk
- Naval combat
- Espionage through direct and indirect means
- A focus on town building, hero development, or a combination of the two
- Different ways to win: conquest victory (destroy all other players or capture all towns), heroic victory (kill all bosses), economic victory (have "x" gold, players vote)
To pick your race:
Select your race at the start the game!
Human: (starting stats: 8 Str, 8 Agi, 8 Int)
- Round-all race, armored infantry, strong casters, no air units, more diplomatic options
Orc: (starting stats: 9 Str, 8 Agi, 7 Int)
- Units have higher health and damage, but cost more food. Better at conventional warfare. Upgrades make units level up faster (more experience in battle)
Undead: (starting stats: 8 Str, 7 Agi, 9 Int)
- Weaker yet cheaper units, more options to harass players.
Elf: (starting stats: 7 Str, 9 Agi, 8 Int)
- Units have less armor but are more mobile. Ideal for hit and run tactics. Significant advantages at night.
Dwarf: (starting stats: 9 Str, 7 Agi, 8 Int)
- Units are more costly, but more hardy. More mechanical and siege units available.
Different units will prove much more effective against their counters.
It's like rock-paper-scissors-water-dynamite:
- Cavalry are good at rushing infantry, archers, and siege units
- Polearm units impale cavalry units
- Archers and towers can pick off polearm units, flying units and casters
- Infantry with shields slaughter archers and are good fodder to siege base towers . . . if they can get close!
- Casters generally counter infantry, but are better used as support.
- Siege units demolish buildings and have no counters to their damage type, but are slow and vulnerable . . . usually
- Air units are strong against most ground units, except archers or towers
- Battleships demolish ground units, buildings and other ships
- Frigates destroy air units
Example Starting Strategies:
1) Start as a hunter, build a tent somewhere for a "lumber base", hire some Thugs from a tavern to harvest your lumber, go hunting for gold, build up from there.
2) Start as a fisherman, find a fisherman's guild for a shovel, go to the corner of the map somewhere, dig and fish for gold, sell accumulated riches, buy lumber, start a base.
3) Say sod building, talk to villagers, gain the "silver tongue" achievement, trade goods between markets for gold, gear up, go do dungeon quests to level up, kill armies with your hero.
The current progress of the map is as follows:
Unit Data: 100%
- Introduction and ending cinematics
- Add info on elites and bosses
Deadline for next update:
August 25, 2017 (version 1.0)
- Version 1.68: Conquest victory through controlling neutral towns now has a 4 minute timer so other players can react. Adjusted some spell mana costs. Corrected some in game messages. Moved around some lore objects to make them more visible (bottles, signs, graves, books, and spirits).
- Version 1.69: Updated colour schemes for the lastest version of WC3. Made some minor terrain palette changes. Did prepwork for a major ocean/calamity event update.
- Version 1.74: Increased player limit to 12. Adjusted zombie AI drastically. Fixed the multiboard and added a clock. Changed the UI to something more appropriate. Added a "-friend" game mode so all players can start off allied. Magic offhands can now be combined. Fixed bugs with game modes. Fixed a zombie problem. Fixed player numbers for dug up units. Fixed a problem with bosses and defeat.
- Version 1.75: Pickaxes now deal double damage to structures and can mine ores from deposits. Axes now can chop trees. Fixed some text in quest dialogues. Added the Demon Invasion calamity. Added the Nature's Wrath miracle. Items can now stack in full inventories (does not apply to buying items), and right clicking stacks now split them equally. Computer players will now have different scripting and random start locations.
- Version 1.76: Fixed a bug with despawning the Shrine of Chaos. Turtles no longer give bounty. Fixed a bug with the 3 moons key.
- Version 1.79: Changes to lighting and map limits! Player limits will be reduced to 8 once again, and the file size will be maintained at below 8 MB. Changed the Cavalry Charge ability for some cavalry type units. Vaults now provide 6 food for the Hero techtree. Reduced experience scaling from crafting. Buffed Fenris. Touched up some terrain. Fixed some lighting. Tweaked again for backwards compatibility.
- Version 1.80: Bug fixes for the dungeon entrances.
- Version 1.82: Summoned unit and content update! Added a new mercenary camp in the south by the ruined village. Reverted lighting back to normal, for now. Buffed Tinker summons and removed the bomb ability. Increased tree health and regrowth rates. The backpack now has a toggle option to force summoned units to follow the Hero that summoned them. Changed the AI script completely for the Forces of Chaos. Removed animals that spawn in base locations. Adjusted the formulas for item market values to have a longer recovery time. Added inventory to Orc units. Fixed the "Green Thumb" perk. Added a Troll Hero to the Frost Gate mercenary camp. Limited Dry Docks to 2 and Naval Batteries to 5 per player. Fixed a graphical glitch with green stuff everywhere. Zombies now decay in sunlight during the day.
- Version 1.84: Hotfixes to the blood moon event, Gnoll Poacher, and troll arena. Tweaked summons AI a bit and limited zombie populations. Added the "-give" command to give selected units to different player numbers.
- Version 1.85: Skeletal pirates now roam and attack bases. Worn Chain and Bandit Leather can now be used for crafting tier 2 armor. Buffed Nimble Gloves. Increased boss hit points while reducing some of their spell damage. New craftable accessory: Safeguard Amulet. Buffed tentacles. Fixed the item duping bug. Increased zeppelin cost. Increased Bloodmoon cost. Added the Naga, which becomes unlockable through a quest (hint: requires fishing). Added some reefs and shallow waters for possible aquatic bases.
The custom models and icons in this map are not my own.
A special thanks to the following people for making some awesome models and icons, or otherwise helping me in the making of this map:
- Special Thanks -
monkeyboy15, for testing my map
TC_Firestar, for the shoulderpads
steamgirl.arisu, for the loading screen
ShadeGabriel and Sifonseal, for the inspiration
Insanity_AI, for his spreadsheet
- Coding Help -
Maker, Laercio, ColdBone, NFWar, Paladon, Svetli, Spinnaker, Fruit Forest, Bribe
- Models and Icons-
Sin'dorei300, Sunchips, Blood Raven, AndrewOverload519, Wandering Soul, skrab, Ket, communist_orc, Illidan(Evil)X, HerrDave, Minimage, Ergius, CRAZYRUSSIAN, HappyTauren, graystuff111, Mythic, LoDown, !!GORO!!, Stanakin, Ujimasa Hojo, Kitabatake, Muoteck, JollyD, Eagle XI, Mr.Goblin, Elenai, Direfury, Tranquil, General Frank, -Grendel, epsilon, Tenebrae, Kuhneghetz, Laercio, CoLd Bon3, KILLCIDE, Em!, ~Nightmare, San, inhuman89, Mr. Bob, Deolrin, darkdeathknight, Lockheart, The Weird Human, stan0033, 00110000, Chriz, Uncle Fester and Blizzard Entertainment
See below for samples of gameplay, terrain, and features!