• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Northrend Bound v1.85

Northrend Bound
Brought to you by: Wark
Discord: https://discord.gg/pq5xEJYVPk

The old kingdom has fallen into disarray.
It is broken and divided, but not all is lost.
The people seek a new leader to face the trials of the North.
Will you rise to the cause?
There will be many challenges and choices. Allies and enemies.
To be a tyrant or a hero, the decision is yours.

Need info? Check out this item reference chart by Insanity_AI:
Northrend Bound Spreadsheets

Requires the latest version of Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne

Summary

Races and Strategies

Development Info

Changelog

Credits

Screenshots

Introduction:
Northrend Bound is a strategy-RPG game.
It is based in an alternate Warcraft universe where something happened to the human kingdom of Northrend.
You are a lowly wanderer (of varying races) determined to become the next king. How you do it? That's completely up to you.
My goal is to make something that's as fun as possible, with many different ways to go about playing the game.

Synopsis:
The old kingdom is all but gone.
A decade ago, dark magic washed over these lands and exacted a terrible price.
The forests, are dying.
The mountains, are in perpetual frost.
The animals become more aggressive day by day.
Undead roam the coasts,
and the Queen has shut out her people. She hasn't been seen since that day.
What do you hope to accomplish, wanderer?

Features include but are not limited to:

• Single player OR co-op OR free-for-all. Can add computer players.
  • Hunting, fishing, mining, farming, lumber gathering, digging, trading, base building
  • Crafting with over 200 items
  • Multiple ways to develop your characters
  • "QWER - DFG" hotkeys for skills
  • "-help" and other in-game commands with game modes
  • Kick-ass backpack system
  • Semi-balanced races; they have strengths and weaknesses
  • Unit ranking system
  • Morality system based on reputation with the townsfolk
  • Naval combat
  • Espionage through direct and indirect means
  • A focus on town building, hero development, or a combination of the two
  • Different ways to win: conquest victory (destroy all other players or capture all towns), heroic victory (kill all bosses), economic victory (have "x" gold, players vote)

To pick your race:
Select your race at the start the game!
Human: (starting stats: 8 Str, 8 Agi, 8 Int)
- Round-all race, armored infantry, strong casters, no air units, more diplomatic options

Orc: (starting stats: 9 Str, 8 Agi, 7 Int)
- Units have higher health and damage, but cost more food. Better at conventional warfare. Upgrades make units level up faster (more experience in battle)

Undead: (starting stats: 8 Str, 7 Agi, 9 Int)
- Weaker yet cheaper units, more options to harass players.

Elf: (starting stats: 7 Str, 9 Agi, 8 Int)
- Units have less armor but are more mobile. Ideal for hit and run tactics. Significant advantages at night.

Dwarf: (starting stats: 9 Str, 7 Agi, 8 Int)
- Units are more costly, but more hardy. More mechanical and siege units available.

Unit Counters:
Different units will prove much more effective against their counters.
It's like rock-paper-scissors-water-dynamite:

- Cavalry are good at rushing infantry, archers, and siege units
- Polearm units impale cavalry units
- Archers and towers can pick off polearm units, flying units and casters
- Infantry with shields slaughter archers and are good fodder to siege base towers . . . if they can get close!
- Casters generally counter infantry, but are better used as support.
- Siege units demolish buildings and have no counters to their damage type, but are slow and vulnerable . . . usually
- Air units are strong against most ground units, except archers or towers
- Battleships demolish ground units, buildings and other ships
- Frigates destroy air units

Example Starting Strategies:
1) Start as a hunter, build a tent somewhere for a "lumber base", hire some Thugs from a tavern to harvest your lumber, go hunting for gold, build up from there.

2) Start as a fisherman, find a fisherman's guild for a shovel, go to the corner of the map somewhere, dig and fish for gold, sell accumulated riches, buy lumber, start a base.

3) Say sod building, talk to villagers, gain the "silver tongue" achievement, trade goods between markets for gold, gear up, go do dungeon quests to level up, kill armies with your hero.

The current progress of the map is as follows:

Dungeons: 100%
Lore: 99%
Races: 100%
Terrain: 100%

Systems: 98%
Tutorial: 100%
Unit Data: 100%

To Do:
- Introduction and ending cinematics
- Add info on elites and bosses

Deadline for next update:
Pending

Map Release: August 25, 2017 (version 1.0)
  • Version 1.68: Conquest victory through controlling neutral towns now has a 4 minute timer so other players can react. Adjusted some spell mana costs. Corrected some in game messages. Moved around some lore objects to make them more visible (bottles, signs, graves, books, and spirits).
  • Version 1.69: Updated colour schemes for the lastest version of WC3. Made some minor terrain palette changes. Did prepwork for a major ocean/calamity event update.
  • Version 1.74: Increased player limit to 12. Adjusted zombie AI drastically. Fixed the multiboard and added a clock. Changed the UI to something more appropriate. Added a "-friend" game mode so all players can start off allied. Magic offhands can now be combined. Fixed bugs with game modes. Fixed a zombie problem. Fixed player numbers for dug up units. Fixed a problem with bosses and defeat.
  • Version 1.75: Pickaxes now deal double damage to structures and can mine ores from deposits. Axes now can chop trees. Fixed some text in quest dialogues. Added the Demon Invasion calamity. Added the Nature's Wrath miracle. Items can now stack in full inventories (does not apply to buying items), and right clicking stacks now split them equally. Computer players will now have different scripting and random start locations.
  • Version 1.76: Fixed a bug with despawning the Shrine of Chaos. Turtles no longer give bounty. Fixed a bug with the 3 moons key.
  • Version 1.79: Changes to lighting and map limits! Player limits will be reduced to 8 once again, and the file size will be maintained at below 8 MB. Changed the Cavalry Charge ability for some cavalry type units. Vaults now provide 6 food for the Hero techtree. Reduced experience scaling from crafting. Buffed Fenris. Touched up some terrain. Fixed some lighting. Tweaked again for backwards compatibility.
  • Version 1.80: Bug fixes for the dungeon entrances.
  • Version 1.82: Summoned unit and content update! Added a new mercenary camp in the south by the ruined village. Reverted lighting back to normal, for now. Buffed Tinker summons and removed the bomb ability. Increased tree health and regrowth rates. The backpack now has a toggle option to force summoned units to follow the Hero that summoned them. Changed the AI script completely for the Forces of Chaos. Removed animals that spawn in base locations. Adjusted the formulas for item market values to have a longer recovery time. Added inventory to Orc units. Fixed the "Green Thumb" perk. Added a Troll Hero to the Frost Gate mercenary camp. Limited Dry Docks to 2 and Naval Batteries to 5 per player. Fixed a graphical glitch with green stuff everywhere. Zombies now decay in sunlight during the day.
  • Version 1.84: Hotfixes to the blood moon event, Gnoll Poacher, and troll arena. Tweaked summons AI a bit and limited zombie populations. Added the "-give" command to give selected units to different player numbers.
  • Version 1.85: Skeletal pirates now roam and attack bases. Worn Chain and Bandit Leather can now be used for crafting tier 2 armor. Buffed Nimble Gloves. Increased boss hit points while reducing some of their spell damage. New craftable accessory: Safeguard Amulet. Buffed tentacles. Fixed the item duping bug. Increased zeppelin cost. Increased Bloodmoon cost. Added the Naga, which becomes unlockable through a quest (hint: requires fishing). Added some reefs and shallow waters for possible aquatic bases.

The custom models and icons in this map are not my own.
A special thanks to the following people for making some awesome models and icons, or otherwise helping me in the making of this map:

- Special Thanks -
monkeyboy15, for testing my map
TC_Firestar, for the shoulderpads
steamgirl.arisu, for the loading screen
ShadeGabriel and Sifonseal, for the inspiration
Insanity_AI, for his spreadsheet

- Coding Help -
Maker, Laercio, ColdBone, NFWar, Paladon, Svetli, Spinnaker, Fruit Forest, Bribe

- Models and Icons-
Sin'dorei300, Sunchips, Blood Raven, AndrewOverload519, Wandering Soul, skrab, Ket, communist_orc, Illidan(Evil)X, HerrDave, Minimage, Ergius, CRAZYRUSSIAN, HappyTauren, graystuff111, Mythic, LoDown, !!GORO!!, Stanakin, Ujimasa Hojo, Kitabatake, Muoteck, JollyD, Eagle XI, Mr.Goblin, Elenai, Direfury, Tranquil, General Frank, -Grendel, epsilon, Tenebrae, Kuhneghetz, Laercio, CoLd Bon3, KILLCIDE, Em!, ~Nightmare, San, inhuman89, Mr. Bob, Deolrin, darkdeathknight, Lockheart, The Weird Human, stan0033, 00110000, Chriz, Uncle Fester and Blizzard Entertainment

Previews:
See below for samples of gameplay, terrain, and features!

Northrend Bound v1.85 (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Avoid playing music through the sound channel. Use the other Play Music trigger. And stop playing it every time the day/night starts or does it just play from time to time? Why fade to black and out when night/rain comes? Did you credit the original...
Level 2
I am playing it right now it look good so for but just hit night and man oh man that scared the crap out of me when the whole map went dark thought it broke my game but no you need a touch to see at night now, so well play more to see what more happens

Level 13
just hit night and man oh man that scared the crap out of me
It's a subtle difference mainly for terraining purposes. I probably need to add more lighting to certain parts of the map.
And, I may add some more terrors in the night...

This update was mostly for terrain, compatibility for older versions of WC3, and experience balance (I want killing/questing to be the best exp, crafting as a supplement).
It also took a lot out of me trying to reconfigure the triggers, so it came late since I was burnt out.

Last edited:
Level 2
That works just fine tho I played for about 55 min and the light on the lamp post kinda sucked some but like you said its a work in progess

Level 13
Yes, the execution of lighting is difficult since that lamp post has no attachment points.

Also, the lighting emitter doodad is actually a particle at a single point... so it has no scale.
Perhaps I just need to add more of the particle when a lamp post is constructed. Or, maybe an invisible dummy unit with an overhead attachment point.

Level 1
Hello! Why cant i play the game? It just appears in the list of maps that i can play but when i click it, it just sends me back to choose a map. Is it because i have an incompatible version? My Warcraft III version is 1.27b. Thanks for the reply!!

Level 2
Hello! Why cant i play the game? It just appears in the list of maps that i can play but when i click it, it just sends me back to choose a map. Is it because i have an incompatible version? My Warcraft III version is 1.27b. Thanks for the reply!!
You need a higher version that what you have I have 1.29 version for Warcraft and it works on it.

Level 13
That's what I was waiting for. So it doesn't work still? I'll have to see why.

EDIT:
Made an update that tweaks the new lighting system.
Second attempt for reverse compatibility to WC3 v1.27.

Last edited:
@Daffa the Mage sure, I can do that after work. The things I've done include: not using any of the new functions, and using player numbers 12 and under.
I have a suspicion that Neutral Hostile and Neutral Passive player numbers may be the issue.
It has high possibility, given their number changes. I had Black once used ans it changes to Maroon on 1.29

Level 1
Don't know if this is a common bug but everytime I leave either the Moladune Mines, or attempt to enter Seafarer's Rest, i get put into the Eternal Grove. Happened on multiple playthroughs I did on both Bnet and on Single Player. Also, any hint on where Smugglers den is for the treasure map? i spent some time in a single player game trying to find anything resembling it and i cant seem to find it.

Level 13
Ah, the thing with exiting dungeons is a bug. That's not supposed to happen.

The treasure map though, you get that from random drops off monsters or bandits.
Following the clues would reward you with experience, gold, and unique accessories.

Level 9
When can we expect an update for the contents rather than bugfixes? Not anything mean but just asking around.

Level 13
i dont understand how fix crash on load?

it already closes if crashed what do you mean by exit and restart
v1.27 btw

That tells me that, even though the new functions are removed and player numbers limited, there's still something not compatible with older versions of WC3.
I'm sorry, I am trying to figure that out and make it work. I am not sure of what's causing it at this point.

Level 1
So, I have a question about elven ability to see at night? How exactly does it work? It seems, like it doesn't work for me at all.

Level 1
Have you tried carrying a torch on some units? A torch will light up around you, same with firepits or lamposts.
Taverns sell them, and you can craft them.
Yeah, I did, but the elf founder has the technology, that literally says "makes elves see as far at night, as during the day".

Level 13
Ah yes. Sight radius is increased, but visibility is different.
It's mostly because I am trying things out by disabling lighting at night, and having certain units with light emitters.
Units with ultravision can technically "see" and target things farther.

Level 1
Hey, huge fan of your map after a friend showed me it, and it actually got me into Warcraft 3. Currently trying to perform the heroic victory with the Guildmaster line (Four heroes) but running into an issue. After four hours the game becomes unstable and (while not frequent) crashes. It's still frequent enough to be an issue. Every crash is the exact same, too, and Google has yielded pretty much no useful results. It's always "Not enough memory resources are available to process this command." followed by "Requested xxxx bytes of memory."

Saving the game frequently is no longer becoming an option either, I've managed to make it to five hours and twenty-four minutes before every attempt at a save returns the exact same crash. The save file has reached 87MB in size. I have 15GB of Hard Drive space on my main drive where the saves are located, my RAM is only at 70-80% usage, my PC is running Windows 10 and is by no means low budget, and I'm just at my wits end. I've tried three different game restarts and it always peters out around that point.

I doubt anyone here (or the OP) knows what to do, but this map has been such a delight to play that I just had to ask if there was perhaps something I was missing, doing wrong, or hadn't installed. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks, and fantastic work on the map, Wark.

Level 2
Hey, huge fan of your map after a friend showed me it, and it actually got me into Warcraft 3. Currently trying to perform the heroic victory with the Guildmaster line (Four heroes) but running into an issue. After four hours the game becomes unstable and (while not frequent) crashes. It's still frequent enough to be an issue. Every crash is the exact same, too, and Google has yielded pretty much no useful results. It's always "Not enough memory resources are available to process this command." followed by "Requested xxxx bytes of memory."

Saving the game frequently is no longer becoming an option either, I've managed to make it to five hours and twenty-four minutes before every attempt at a save returns the exact same crash. The save file has reached 87MB in size. I have 15GB of Hard Drive space on my main drive where the saves are located, my RAM is only at 70-80% usage, my PC is running Windows 10 and is by no means low budget, and I'm just at my wits end. I've tried three different game restarts and it always peters out around that point.

I doubt anyone here (or the OP) knows what to do, but this map has been such a delight to play that I just had to ask if there was perhaps something I was missing, doing wrong, or hadn't installed. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks, and fantastic work on the map, Wark.
What game version of Warcraft 3 are you running?

Level 13
I have had this error too, actually, since the last update. And yes, I have no idea what's causing this.
It usually happens after ~4 hours of gameplay, and I am fairly certain it's not memory leaks. I double checked that with someone.
I may just release an unoptimized version of the map, since I suspect Vexxorian's optimization program is buggy with new versions of WC3.

This will mean a larger filesize and slower loading time, but would also mean people can check things out themselves and help out more.

Level 2
I have had this error too, actually, since the last update. And yes, I have no idea what's causing this.
It usually happens after ~4 hours of gameplay, and I am fairly certain it's not memory leaks. I double checked that with someone.
I may just release an unoptimized version of the map, since I suspect Vexxorian's optimization program is buggy with new versions of WC3.

This will mean a larger filesize and slower loading time, but would also mean people can check things out themselves and help out more.
well that would be very very good and people would just have to get over the longer load time, if it helps alot it well be so worth it in the end.

Level 1

I can't speak for other people of course, but I would personally gladly, gladly deal with the larger file size and long loading times to play this map to completion. It's a joy to play and I've just been playing it up to the point of instability every time hah. No pressure ethier way, it's your map, and thank you again for making it.

If I might ask, what version did you do the optimizations? My friend and I have a few old versions laying around and could see if it crashes on those too.

Edit: Tried a game with 1.77, the oldest version we have. Just had a crash just after four hours while playing. :c

Last edited:
Level 1
And I am back. With three things to comment on:
1. Green Thumb achievement did not work. At least, for me with hops. Tried with all wheat/corn/hops on warpten, didn't work either, went up to 500 on that. (I thought, maybe trigger was changed to a bigger number, but now I'm pretty sure it broke)
2. Treasure map 2, I thought of only one place, and it's unaccesable. (A little reef with a stump on it, north-west from the island-city). Dug up most of the humps in the ocean dungeon, just to be sure.
3. Is it possible to somehow nerf wild-life spawns near buildings? Maybe not all, but constant wolves/deers/rabbits right next to my town hall are kinda... weird.

Also, for one of the races founder units don't have inventory. Orcs, if I remember correctly. Is that intentional?
And infinite town halls, as long as you upgrade them to lvl3. Worked at least for undead and dwarves. Same question.
And I didn't find, how to get gunpowder. Just reforge sulphur?

Love the map, constantly playing it. Still haven't won, though, I want to do everything, and 4h crash is ruthless.

Last edited:
Level 2
Yes, I have played offline alot and I can save and load the game, tho if you build any fences they may rotate some.

I don't think that you can do that online at all but I may be wrong

Level 13
Version 1.82 is now out!
Added a mercenary camp to the south near the ruined village, added a new Troll Hero (accessible from Frost Gate), added AI options for summoned units, removed the lighting thing at night (for now), various bug fixes, tweaks to the market system, trees, and zombie AI.
Details are in the changelog.

EDIT:
V1.84: Made some hotfixes to remove some problems and even some things out. Added a "-give" command to give units to a different player.

I'm thinking about making a game mode where it's always a demon invasion or blood moon. Any thoughts?
And, can anyone tell me if this map works now for v1.27/1.28 of WC3?

Last edited:
Level 1
Version 1.82 is now out!
Added a mercenary camp to the south near the ruined village, added a new Troll Hero (accessible from Frost Gate), added AI options for summoned units, removed the lighting thing at night (for now), various bug fixes, tweaks to the market system, trees, and zombie AI.
Details are in the changelog.

EDIT:
V1.84: Made a hotfixes to remove some problems and even some things out. Added a "-give" command to give units to a different player.

I'm thinking about making a game mode where it's always a demon invasion or blood moon. Any thoughts?
And, can anyone tell me if this map works now for v1.27/1.28 of WC3?

Tested today on 1.27b, crash on loading screen.

Level 13
Dang it. Thank you for checking!

I think I will leave the open source file open for download in the other forum.
If anyone can figure out why it doesn't work now for older versions
(or if the optimization was the problem), feel free to check it out yourself.

Level 2
I love the concept and the way this game is played. I would like to see more animals by default and some better monster spawns for training but otherwise the map is great. 4/5

Level 1
Hello all pls write where i can dowload previous versions ?
play on 1.26a patch and 4 times after 1.3h play crash game ...... pls help

Level 1
thanks ) , and v1.84 best work with patch 1.29 + ? or what ?
and can i play on Blizzard servers ?

Last edited:
Level 1
Hello @Wark, great work on this map.

Warcraft III version 1.29
Northrend Bound version 1.84

--- Bug report ---

Process to recreate:
- Obtain any type of item that can have multiple quantity in one slot (e.g. Raw Meat).
- Disable "Pick Up Items" skill auto-cast on player Backpack.
- Drop the item on the ground.
- Move your player slightly distant to the dropped item (so Backpack won't auto-pickup the item when you auto-cast the "Pick Up Items" skill).
- Activate the auto-cast on "Pick Up Items" skill of the Backpack.
- Use your player to attack/destroy the dropped item. Wait for it to be destroyed.
- Once the item is destroyed quickly move your character to where the dropped item is placed so the Backpack will auto-pickup the destroyed item.
- And voila! Observe how the picked-up item significantly increase it's quantity.
- Repeat then you can have your unlimited gold hack.

Level 2
Treasure map 2 says it's beside a stump but digging beside a stump in the bottom right island gives nothing.
Also, can you get the "insane right hook" ? I keep getting the left hand.

Last edited:
Level 13
Treasure map 2 says it's beside a stump but digging beside a stump in the bottom right island gives nothing.
Also, can you get the "insane right hook" ? I keep getting the left hand.

Yea, the insane right hook typically drops from bandits or from digging in graveyards (beware the negative rep).
Also for that Treasure Map 2, you're on the wrong island.

The item bug may be due to the system I'm using that allows you to pick up items even with a full inventory. That's definitely not intentional.

Level 2
@Wark Thanks for the reply!
Is it impossible to get a hold of FOTN map (due to map lock?) ? I think there are features in FOTN that you can use in Northrend Bound.

Level 13
@Neztir As far as I know, not without hacking the map itself, no. However, I consciously decided against some of the game design from Founders of the North because it's a great game by itself, and I don't want to completely rip it off.
Instead, I focused more on character development and telling a hidden story.
(There is a fragmented story in my map. You just have to look for the journals, bottles, and dialogue from NPCs.)

As for development, I am preparing for the Warcraft Reforged release, and have been anticipating a remastered game for some time.
I'll probably release some bug fixes for the next update with some other changes, and then put this on hold for now.
If this map can be imported to the Remastered version, expect a major update then!

I will still keep the open-source version available on the map development forums.

Last edited: