• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Strategy / Risk] Northland - RPG RTS - Customizable Armies - High Quality Terrains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
OVERVIEW

It had dawned on me a while back to have an rts map, where customizability would allow you to create an army in your image, one that could aspire to be whatever you desired it to be, a dps-dishing ranged extravaganza, or a heavily armored, bruising, assault force. So I began work on such a project several weeks ago, and it has come to glorious fruition, units can select from various combinations of items, the standard, weapon, shield, helm, armor, or maybe a two-hander, sparing the shield for defense, and increasing the possibility for enemy casualties. Whatever you may like, you'll have a slew of options, not to mention your save-able hero, whose class can be selected at the beginning of a game, and then leveled as you continue to play this map. Creeps will be numerous, with a large variety of drops based on level, which you can either equip to your hero, or a member of your fighting force. Lastly, the map will be a world map, coming in at 256x256 when final, with a massive amount of lush, vivid environments where you can start your base, or explore for loot. I have worked on many map projects, but to be entirely honest, this one excites me the most, and I see huge potential for it.

HOW TO PLAY

Playing is simple, you start out, select your hero class, or load a saved hero, and your units will be randomly spawned on the map (subject to change), from which you will have the option to construct a headquarters structure where you see fit, while the rest of your warband scouts around for Ore Deposits which are harvested for secondary income, or creeps whom loot can be pilfered for great benefit. Farms and profits made from killing creeps and selling items, which can be carried en bulk by pack horses, will be the main source of primary income. Population is gained from increasing the level of your headquarter structure, and the maximum population is 30/30, with most normal units using 1 population, as well as farms costing 1 population.

THE LOOT

Loot will be essential to the experienced player, to buff his hero up as much as he can, and become a more effective fighter, based on his selected class. Loot will vary by creep type, and creep type varies by location, all creeps have levels, and all items have levels, the level of the creep corresponds with the level of his item drops. Ex. a level 3 creep will drop level 3 items. Environments will be extremely rangy, and more over so will creep types and levels, best to avoid placing your base near a high level creep camp!

Northland02.jpg
Northland03.jpg
Northland04.jpg
Northland05.jpg
Northland06.jpg
Northland07.jpg
Northland08.jpg
Northland09.jpg

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...ies-high-quality-terrains-northland_v0.1b.w3x

Last edited:

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Gotta say man, terrain is stellar. Just 1 question. How did you persuade Marsh to give you his models? Seriously, I've been trying for months without any result.

Level 22
Gotta say man, terrain is stellar. Just 1 question. How did you persuade Marsh to give you his models? Seriously, I've been trying for months without any result.

Well he said I could use them a while back for my other map... I didn't get a chance to ask him this time around since he's totally missing in action. Hopefully there will be no problem. He will be fully credited of course.

And to clarify, none of the models are actually his. Most of them are B2M's, while the skins were, made by him to some extent, as far as I can tell, via some cnp, which I could very well do myself.

Looks beautiful. I personally feel that winter-themed terrains are pretty difficult to design, but you managed to make it look very nice.

I like the concept behind the map as well. It seems pretty interesting. What kind of heroes will it have (theme-wise)? From the screenshots I can see some zombies (which I assume are enemies), but there isn't much information on who you will play.

Regardless, it looks promising and I look forward to the demo!

Level 7
Well he said I could use them a while back for my other map... I didn't get a chance to ask him this time around since he's totally missing in action.

And to clarify, none of the models are actually his. Most of them are B2M's, while the skins were, made by him to some extent, as far as I can tell, via some cnp, which I could very well do myself.

I log into The Hive every week, not missing in action. I don't think it's fair to belittle someones artwork then use it in your map, true most are just texture edits but some, like the snow terrain is 100% me. If it's so easy and you can do it yourself why didn't you? :/

Level 22
I log into The Hive every week, not missing in action. I don't think it's fair to belittle someones artwork then use it in your map, true most are just texture edits but some, like the snow terrain is 100% me. If it's so easy and you can do it yourself why didn't you? :/

Because I valued your resources, and in full honesty, did not want to see the work you put into these edits go to waste. Hopefully there will be no problem with me crediting you, B2M and the other terrainers (Morpheus, etc), and have the map fully protected, will there?

Not belittling you either haha, your work on the snow was very good, aside from the sharp edges on the borders, which I had originally planned to fix...

You will also notice I used a few of your terraining techniques.

Furthermore, if you see a problem with me doing so, I'm sure we can work something out, neither of our works should go to waste, because of either of our egos.

@Purge: Well I didn't elaborate on the backstory because I was still working on it, but so far a tid-bit about the gameplay, you will be able to play against up to 6 other players, all of which will have the same race as you, but will have varying options based on hero class. And the map is inclined toward Norse mythology, I was trying to terrain a scandinavian looking environment. As far as creeps go, the Zombies are fallen Norsemen, still clung to protecting their hold, the other creeps at the moment are Wolves, Deer, Mountain Bears, and Jotun (Jotun being the Norse version of Giants or Trolls).

Level 7
Norse mythology? Scandinavian terrain? That sounds ALOT like Skyrim.

I don't plan on letting my hard work go to waste, I've been working on another map that uses the resources from Skyrim for months now and hope to release it soon.

I never said Skyrim was canceled.

I said you could use the snow terrain texture for your Warhammer map, I didn't say you could edit the map we had been working on and call it your own. It's not about egos, I see this as map theft.

This sounds and looks like Skyrim. There's no point in me completing Skyrim if your going to release this, this basically IS Skyrim without the "Skyrim" tag.

Can't you make this without using any of stuff I've worked on, then our maps will actually be different?

Level 22
Norse mythology? Scandinavian terrain? That sounds ALOT like Skyrim.

I don't plan on letting my hard work go to waste, I've been working on another map that uses the resources from Skyrim for months now and hope to release it soon.

I never said Skyrim was canceled.

I said you could use the snow terrain texture for your Warhammer map, I didn't say you could edit the map we had been working on and call it your own. It's not about egos, I see this as map theft.

This sounds and looks like Skyrim. There's no point in me completing Skyrim if your going to release this, this basically IS Skyrim without the "Skyrim" tag.

Can't you make this without using any of stuff I've worked on, then our maps will actually be different?

Lol. Your map isn't an RPG, your map doesn't have constructed buildings, and Norse mythos, is nothing, at all, not even close, to anything like anything in TES. Nords are the only thing remotely close, this map, is nothing like Skyrim. And /we/ hadn't been working on /the/ map because you seem to be akin to disappearing. At this point, I'm using, your snow texture, which you just admitted to allowing me to use, I'm using your wall reskins from B2M's pack, and I'm using your rock reskins and that snowy tree model/texture, which I'm not even sure if that's yours.

If you are really going to do this, I will just remake those 3 skins, you're not going to sabotage my map because Norse -> Skyrim lmao.

Furthermore, did you even have B2M's permission to edit his models?

If you're still butthurt when I release the demo, and you can see, this map is not even fucking remotely anything like yours, I will remove the whopping 3 skins I pilfered.

If anything the map is based on Warhammer lore/Norse lore. You could just as easily say, Warhammer is a fuck of a lot like TES.

Level 7
I don't believe for a moment you've exported those resources from my map, you've just edited my map and as a result your screenshots look practically the same as SDWs terrain. There's loads of other stuff in that map that I designed just for Skyrim that you will prolly try and use.

The only restrictions B2M put on his resources is that they only be uploaded to WC3 Campaigns. Oh and he's been offline for 4 years.

Yes the snowy tree texture is mine.

I gave you the map so you could help me with it, yes I did disappear for awhile but Skyrim was never canceled and you have no right to steal stuff from an ongoing project.

And you STILL haven't even asked me for permission, all you've done is laugh at me.

Level 22
I don't believe for a moment you've exported those resources from my map, you've just edited my map and as a result your screenshots look practically the same as SDWs terrain. There's loads of other stuff in that map that I designed just for Skyrim that you will prolly try and use.

The only restrictions B2M put on his resources is that they only be uploaded to WC3 Campaigns. Oh and he's been offline for 4 years.

Yes the snowy tree texture is mine.

I gave you the map so you could help me with it, yes I did disappear for awhile but Skyrim was never canceled and you have no right to steal stuff from an ongoing project.

And you STILL haven't even asked me for permission, all you've done is laugh at me.

No one is laughing at you.

This is my map, even if I remove the 3 skins that I exported, it's still, my map, and I'm still going to make it look exactly the way I want, and exactly the way it is. I started this map a few weeks ago, I didn't open up Skyrim, and start re-arranging things. It amuses me though, that you think you can put domain on models, terraining techniques, and probably some other details, that aren't even yours, or can't be trademarked in the first place.

I am using 3 of your skins, make no quarrels about it, the models aren't yours, you can't stop me from using them, I know where they came from, all of them, and I will continue to use them, with, or without your 3 skins.

I would gladly export every single resource I have ever used, from every project I have ever worked on, without a single seconds hesitance to anyone, in fact if memory serves me correct you approached me about using a resource from one of my maps. So please, don't be such a dick about it, it's only 3 skins, 3 skins which I could just as easily use myself. The map is my own, I did not edit yours.

Just for further clarification, you can't trademark Norse mythology, or castles, or bridges lol.

Last edited:
Level 7
Never once said the models where mine.

Never once asked for any resources from your map. What are you talking about?

I'm not being a dick, you've handled this badly, you could have actually asked me for permission in the first place. Instead you've taken resources from a project we were supposed to be working on, talked at me like I'm an idiot and called me a dick.

Its not trademark, it's against Hive Rules to use resources without authors permission.

And its 4 skins your using there and there's a lot more artwork I've worked on in the Skyrim map i sent you, like the Snowy roof textures.

I will let this drop as long a you agree to only use those 4 textures in those screen shots you have currently posted. Please don't export anything else from Skyrim Dragon Wars.

Level 22
Never once said the models where mine.

Never once asked for any resources from your map. What are you talking about?

I'm not being a dick, you've handled this badly, you could have actually asked me for permission in the first place. Instead you've taken resources from a project we were supposed to be working on, talked at me like I'm an idiot and called me a dick.

Its not trademark, it's against Hive Rules to use resources without authors permission.

And its 4 skins your using there and there's a lot more artwork I've worked on in the Skyrim map i sent you, like the Snowy roof textures.

I will let this drop as long a you agree to only use those 4 textures in those screen shots you have currently posted. Please don't export anything else from Skyrim Dragon Wars.

I have not used any other "artwork" from your map. Only the, 3* skins, I say 3, because you already agreed to allow me to use the snow terrain art. I was referring to the way I terrain, as being trademarked, not the textures I'm using.

You're right I should have asked for permission in the first place, but I assumed you were inactive, and furthermore, assumed you would say no. You intended to have me help you with the map, but you have not queried me, or kept in touch at any point. And yes, if I recall correctly, I sent you something from my Warhammer map, just can't recall what.

My resources are public property, and should be available to you, as much as me, or anyone else. I did not expect this to be such a big deal, as these are my feelings on the matter.

It's not as if anyone is going to profit unfairly from using your or my work. We do this is as a casual hobby, and sense of self-indulgence and/or enjoyment, so there's no reason to treat it like some kind of a callus business endeavor.

Level 7
OK as long as it's just those 4 skins (inc terrain texture) I'll drop the issue. Hope we understand each other and good luck with your project.

I don't want you to think I am being business like, I just offense when you made out like the textures where easy and you could have done them yourself, you have no idea how much time I put into texturing for Skyrim, converting all of B2Ms textures into under 8 mg (originally they were 50mg) is a tedious and boring task alone.

Level 22
OK as long as it's just those 4 skins (inc terrain texture) I'll drop the issue. Hope we understand each other and good luck with your project.

I don't want you to think I am being business like, I just offense when you made out like the textures where easy and you could have done them yourself, you have no idea how much time I put into texturing for Skyrim, converting all of B2Ms textures into under 8 mg (originally they were 50mg) is a tedious and boring task alone.

I know, I did this in my previous map. I shrunk something like 130 textures. Anyway sorry for this. If Skyrim isn't canceled then I'm still under the assumption you need help. So private message me if so.

I remember you remarking you could not finish the map, though; which is why I never contacted you.

bethmachine

Banned
Level 8
I wonder why not many people have replied to this thread. Well this a map me and my brother has always been looking for and it is AI. I would suggest try to add special areas where you can get unique items. Keep up the good work will play it when it is complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.