• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

No gravity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
black holes, 'nuff said

Ever thought about the force that holds whatever is inside a proton together? Must be a pretty damn strong force. Oh wait, it's called the 'strong nuclear force'.

Here's a little chart displaying what I'm trying to explain:
ForceRelative Force
Gravitation1
Weak Force1025
Electromagnetism1036
Strong Force1038

Level 19
well i thought gravity holds stuff together because the earth was formed from gravity (large chuncs of debriss that rotated around forming the planet)

Level 25
mother of hell

We wouldn't "swim around" or anything stupidity like that, and the earth wouldn't crumble apart. However, with no gravity to hold it in place, it'd just keep going through space infinitely

Oh, and moving would be hard as hell due to nothing to stop us. If you leapt, then welp, you'd keep on going

Also, this is basic science stuff, kiddies. Get back to school

Level 11
No we would not go flying through the cosmos. Space has gravity. Everything does. Well almost. So if the Earth had no gravity that would be bs. Not possible. The Moon has gravity but no living creatures does not mean it has no gravity. Now if we had a low enough gravitational force, such as lower then 0.5 gauss, well idk how low it would have to get but then yes everything on earth would start to float away in the direction the earth was spining.

Level 24
Gravity doesn't hold stuff together, it holds groups of stuff together. Electromagnetism holds stuff together, and then the Strong and Weak Nuclear Forces hold atoms together.

Level 11
Gravity doesn't hold stuff together, it holds groups of stuff together. Electromagnetism holds stuff together, and then the Strong and Weak Nuclear Forces hold atoms together.

Yep. Now I can't remember but it is electromagnetism that holds space together right?

Level 11
No I think I read somewhere space was being held together although simultaneously moving away. I'll look it up and post the info later on today.

Level 24
The universe is expanding, if that's what you mean. Galaxies are becoming progressively farther apart from each other, in general.

Level 11
Like said before, the Earth would fall apart. The centrifugal force will be much bigger than the electromagnetic one that is holding molecules together. But a tree for example wouldn't fall appart of course, since electromagnetive force holds it together. (more specific: van der Waals force and Intermolecular force)

Well would it not be pulled by the closest gravitational force? Which would be the moon if the Earth somehow happened to loose all its gravity. So the moon would colide with Earth.

We need a constant for this.

Ok so the Earth one day looses all of its gravity, sending it toward the moon. All object on the earth have gravity as well. So as it is rotating and falling towards the moon all the objects would fly in the direction the earth would be rotating, then if they enter a gravitational field strong enough to pull them in they will be, if not there kinetic energy would keep them flying through space at the same speed for ever unless the colide with something.

Earth and the moon would then combine into a new planet, lets call it Mearnooth.

Anyway, electromagnetic force effects earth 2. He asked about no gravity not no electromagnetic force. Earth would no fall apart or collapse on it self.

Level 24
Centrifugal force is completely nonexistent, referencing it for "science" makes him either a troll or a dumbass. When you accelerate forwards in a car, you feel as if you are pushed backwards; when you turn to the left, you feel as if you are being pushed to the right. So-called "centrifugal force" is a perceived result of inertia, specifically the tendency for objects to rather travel in straight paths than circular ones; the "force" you feel is the result of being held in your circular path.

The earth is a solid object, and is rotating, not several objects travelling in a circular path. If you spin a basketball around on your finger, it does not get torn apart, neither will the earth.

Level 7
Centrifugal force exists in earth's reference frame.

And it's a bit easier to explain it with centrifugal force than by saying the objects on earth will lose the effect of centripetal acceleration and will just move in a lineair direction. (if we assume that all mass loses it's gravity in this hypothetical question)

Level 24
What you said last post is that the earth would fall apart. What you said this post is that things will be flung off of the earth, which is distinctly different from the former.

Level 24
Peeling an orange is not the same as the orange falling apart. Also, I'd like to go back to the theory that you're either a troll or a complete dipshit.

Level 7
Peeling an orange is not the same as the orange falling apart. Also, I'd like to go back to the theory that you're either a troll or a complete dipshit.

So why am I a troll? because i talked about centrifugal force? You need it if you want to use Newtonian physics on events on earth because the earth is not an inertial frame. The first law of Newton doesn't apply to the earth because for example hurricanes and winds in general go from high pressure to low pressure in a spiral way. They should go in a straight way because there is no force that makes them go into a circular way. To make newton's first law work in earth's frame, physicists introduced a pseudo-force: Coriolis force. Which you can call the 3 dimensional form of centrifugal force.

I'm maybe not smart enough to study physics at university (i learned this the experimental way) but i'm not a troll or a complete dipshit.

Level 24
Oh, so you're just a dipshit then. Small objects being flung off of the surface of a larger object is not equivalent to the larger object falling apart.

Level 7
sigh.

I hope this explanation is ok for you:
1) Earth's gravity disappears , and to pleasure NoAmmoSrry, the moon doesn't loses it's gravity.
2) Atmosphere immediately disappears through attraction of sun/moon.
3) Small objects, water, soil and stuff that aren't "attached" to something else are thrown of the earth due to rotation of the earth and attraction of sun/moon..
4) The angular momentum of the earth is constant, because of the mass of the earth getting smaller it starts rotating faster to hold the angular momentum constant.
5) Bigger objects are thrown of the earth due to increased rotation speed and attraction of sun/moon..
6) Go back to 4 until earth is gone.

Level 24
You're assuming that:
  • The small particles that are flung off the earth are going to have a significant impact on the rotational inertia of the earth. The earth weights 5.9736 × 1024 kg. That is, rounding up, 6,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kilograms*, or 13,200,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 pounds. Whatever gets flung off the surface in the initial loss of gravity is piddly compared to that. Animals and topsoil, woo. Even the oceans only weigh 0.025% of the earth's weight.***
  • The earth is composed of particulate matter, such as soil, throughout. It is not. Want some examples? Mountains are solid fucking rock. Bedrock is solid fucking rock. Whatever it is under Vegas is solid fucking clay. Sure, small particles with no strong attachment to the surrounding material are going to be flung off, but not entire fucking tectonic plates.

NoAmmoSrry: Stars are giant nuclear reactors in space, not just really hot things.

Level 35
Without gravity, even if the earth miraculously formed...it would all be pretty much flung off because gravity is what is keeping it 'down'.

Without Gravity all the stuff that made the Earth would just 'sit there'

The core wouldn't even exist to have begun the process of creating the mass required for gravity in the first place, we would be floating in a useless nebula of dust and gas.

Level 11
NoAmmoSrry: Stars are giant nuclear reactors in space, not just really hot things.

FUKING LIES WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN!

WHY WAS I NOT NOTIFIED!

GOD DAMMIT LEROY!!

YOU KILLLEDD KEENNNY!!

ITSSS OVERRRR NINEEE THOUSSANNDD!!!

Lol well yea I know especially cause they need to be held toegther by gravity which the earth has none.

Really, now? Gravity is what holds solid objects together? Gravity is what makes water form into droplets? Gravity is actually the weakest of the forces, and takes barely any part in holding stuff together.

Gravity's the only force that does much on really big scales like space.
Like molecules have pretty much no gravity but have intermolecular forces. Planets have gravity but basically no intermolecular forces (between planets).

Status
Not open for further replies.