• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

New York City WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
This forum appears to be appropriate for this I think.

Anyway I've been working on a game taking place in New York City, and I've been working on it kinda sporadically. These are a bit old but I haven't taken any other screenshots yet.

http://img29.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=98533083.jpg

It's all pretty low detail for the reason that there's a ton of buildings to make. When these were taken I think I was at about half a million polys or so. I'm trying to budget it to 3 million for the low poly, probably will have something like 5 or 6 when I start adding in the rest of the detail. I'll be using normals to add in as much of the detail as possible to avoid performance dropping too much. But it kind of shows the work off.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

That's pretty awesome. I guess.

Level 6
I'm using real world textures. In a couple months I'll be going to NYC and plan on basically walking up and down streets taking pictures to convert into texture maps.

Level 6
What system is this game comming out for and what sort of game is it?

I'm planning it on the PC. I'll be using the C4 engine probably, and the idea for this is a kind of free-roaming anti-terror plot. It's probably going to play out similarly to a modern-day Assassin's Creed style of play... well to an extent. I'm thinking about how I would incorporate a system that's kind of like free running but a bit more limited; it won't be like other games where you get on top of buildings and can jump like half a mile into the air (like Prototype or Spiderman where you jump to the top of the Empire State Building and then off of it again and no one seems to notice), but you'll be able to run up walls a little bit and jump off of them like in Prince of Persia (assuming I can work it out, I'm not much a programmer so that part is going to be pretty new to me). It'll be in an FPS style as well, but I've got a pretty good technique for animation, plus motion capture is getting increasingly cheaper (there are systems for like five thousand now that appear to work pretty well), but it'll still be a little bit of work to get it right so that no one gets motion sick like playing Mirror's Edge or Breakdown.

I'm also working on a couple of projectile codes that I'm going to work on incorporating. I've written out some simple equations that will give me the trajectory and power of a bullet, and I'm working on making a system where the trajectory will be affected by wind. I'm working on it in the UDK because it's free and I'll have to change it for C4, but the concept will be down. This will probably only be used for sniping because it takes up a bit of CPU power to compute that, and really I don't think it will make much of a difference in most firefights where the player is like fifty feet from the enemies.

The gameplay I have intended isn't really fast paced like Call of Duty or Halo, instead it'll be like Oblivion or Morrowind. Basically the player takes control of a special agent that works against domestic terrorism, which is on the rise, and the story just progresses from that.

Man thats going to take forever. How long has modeling all of these building taken you?

I started it about six months ago, give or take. I don't expect to finish it any time soon. I'm actually focusing on another game right now, but that one is far far easier to make and I'm working on it with Kingbdogz (guy doing the Edge of Eternity project), when we publish it we'll be forming a corporate entity and then I'll start focusing on this more. I'm hoping that once I get the model done, I can get some cheap textures and sell it on TurboSquid or something and get a bit of money. When we publish the game we're focusing on, I'm hoping to sell at least a thousand copies of it which will cover most of the costs and let me get a little bit more expensive stuff to expedite the process (right now, for most all animations I record myself doing something from two angles and hand key it; if I can get some motion capture cameras then animating won't be such a pain).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I thought he meant are you making it into a LoaP lol.

What level of detail are you aiming for this game? Will it be cutting edge graphics ("next generation") or last generation (like TES oblivion detail) or will it be more like morowind cause of lack of artistic resources?

Do you have a website for this project or is it still too early for that sort of thing?
The key for such a project is to always have an goal. From very early on you need to have a clear idea of what you are after achieving and producing and then as it comes together you have to evaluate it to make sure it is what you wanted.

What I am concerned is how to go about rendering something as detailed as a city in real time at a decent graphic level and have the streets full of life.

Level 6
No it's still too early to make a website. It probably won't be on the level of Crysis or Modern Warfare, but it won't be too bad when I finish hopefully. When I get to developing the game inside the engine I'll run some tests to see what kind of poly budget I'll have, probably going to try and keep human models below 1500 polys but use high res textures and good normals. The rendering probably won't be that big of a deal if I keep a decent poly budget if I do LOD and distance affects properly. This isn't remotely done, I'll be working on it for years probably. Chances are when Eternal Designs incorporates and we publish our other game I'll add something into the website for that.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Mulgrim has an in idea, if you use street viewer images you can get decent textures to try out a few buildings with without actually going there. This means you can have some before hand experience before you go and take hundreds of photos so you will be able to take them better (know what you need).

Level 6
The textures for the upper parts of the buildings aren't very critical since you'll rarely get that high up.

Level 6
You might want to check out using terrain paging, since having that many buildings on the render queue at once isn't a good idea

The city will be separated into the districts to make it easier for me probably but I don't think rendering the city will be the issue, it will be the people and cars that push it over if anything.

Level 6
Here's a little bit of an update, I combined a few more of the groups. You can see that they're are repeats of the buildings, I'm using them for placement and I didn't do it very well because I didn't want to spend much time on it this morning, just kinda imported it and moved the cells into the basic positions, but it's a bit further along than the last images. The map under it isn't as big as I wanted it to be, but it was the best one I could find online and I haven't had time to stitch one together myself. The City Planning Department wouldn't provide me the maps I wanted, and I'm not sure who else to talk to for them, so I'm using this one until I get around to making one. But since I'm really focusing on Manhattan, this will work (it's got more detail than what's shown in the render, just haven't got much that far down). It's at about 1.2 million polys right now, so still on track for a 3 million budget. I don't actually have enough RAM in any of computers to really do a lot of work on this (it goes really really really slow), if I get a job I'll be buying eight more for the system I usually use, or I might just buy a new computer since both of these are pretty cheap builds.

Attachments

• Manhattan.jpg
    Manhattan.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 60
Status
Not open for further replies.