• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

New to modelling. Making buildings for new races

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi all!

Been a lurker on the forums for a few years now but I thought it was about time I'd try my hands at creating something myself.
I've been working on a map which adds a bunch of new races, however I've found that some: e.g Dwarves, Gnomes, Tauren don't get anywhere near the amount of love as many other races do, which means there are little to no resources for them (Unless I just can't find them) especially when it comes to buildings.

So I'd thought I'd try and make some myself, starting with the dwarves. Bare in mind I'm a complete novice and am learning as I do, but I'm around halfway through the first building, the Dwarf house:

I'm taking loose inspiration from the dwarf villages in the Twilight Highlands in WoW, so naturally the model will have a grass roof when finished.

The reason for me posting this is as previously mentioned, I am a complete novice and what you see so far is as far as I have ever progressed at this sort of thing. So any tip/tricks or help and advice of any sort would be greatly appreciated and updates on my progress are sure to come.

Cheers all!

Hi all!

Been a lurker on the forums for a few years now but I thought it was about time I'd try my hands at creating something myself.
I've been working on a map which adds a bunch of new races, however I've found that some: e.g Dwarves, Gnomes, Tauren don't get anywhere near the amount of love as many other races do, which means there are little to no resources for them (Unless I just can't find them) especially when it comes to buildings.

So I'd thought I'd try and make some myself, starting with the dwarves. Bare in mind I'm a complete novice and am learning as I do, but I'm around halfway through the first building, the Dwarf house:

I'm taking loose inspiration from the dwarf villages in the Twilight Highlands in WoW, so naturally the model will have a grass roof when finished.

The reason for me posting this is as previously mentioned, I am a complete novice and what you see so far is as far as I have ever progressed at this sort of thing. So any tip/tricks or help and advice of any sort would be greatly appreciated and updates on my progress are sure to come.

Cheers all!

That is very cool, That thing is already better than all of my building attempt
Good luck XD
If you have any problem after it converted to mdx, and animation in Mdlvis, Feel free to ask me :p
btw, what you using to make it? It look like blender, but i can't see the interface, so i don't know

Level 3
How will you do animations?

I've not thought that far ahead to be honest!

That is very cool, That thing is already better than all of my building attempt
Good luck XD
If you have any problem after it converted to mdx, and animation in Mdlvis, Feel free to ask me :p
btw, what you using to make it? It look like blender, but i can't see the interface, so i don't know

Thanks a lot! I have a small amount of experience with building design, mainly 2D stuff though. And yeah I'm using Blender

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest coming up with a simple Build animation design. For example, look at the original Black & White game, and how structures had scaffolding around it, that were built from the ground up, and then taken down once the structure was completed.

Look at all five build animation styles in WC3, and decide on which direction you want to take the one you'll be coming up with. Be sure to also add a base for the structure to be built off of if it's placed on a slope.

Level 3
Small update.

This is using textures from WoW:

I don't know if not using in game textures will cause issues at all? And bare in mind none of it is final, all of it will change I'm just decided on which route to take.

Level 3
It's always better to use WC3 textures. Filesize is everything.

Gotcha. I am struggling to find textures that match the general aesthetic of the model in wow as I'm not sure how to find/access the whole set of textures from WC3, any advice on that front? Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.