• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New Game Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hey Hive, here is a little something that I have been toying around with. A game with first person shooter gameplay but is still wc3. STOP! dont you dare get ready to reply saying that a fps cant be done in wc3. Just sit back and hear (or rather read) me ramble on.

Remember, this is not a fps at all. As I said, im just ripping off the fps gameplay (and more specifically, Call of Duty). There would be 2 teams and each human player would control a single hero unit. The goal: um yeah I dont really know yet, but it will most likely involve you slaughtering other players. Sounds like dota or an arena to me eh? well this is where the fps gameplay would come in. To do this, a couple things must be tweaked.

First, Wc3 "battles" last a while. for example, dota/arenas/most games become a game of cat a mice, where one hero(s) chases another hero(s). Eventually, one hero will be ganked/ambushed or the hero runs into the safety of its base. these "battles" can last several minutes. in a fps, "battles" can last from a fraction of a second (you turn a corner and there is a person with a shotgun waiting to blow your head off) to a few seconds (two players see each other, panic, chuck grenades in random directions and run around aimlessly shooting in random directions, maybe hitting something). This makes for a faster paced game. The game would be more focused on the actual combat, not running down other players or trying to escape them. This would force players to go "all or nothing", where they dont run from you, they will try and hold their ground and kill you (like in a fps).

You die and respawn...a lot and fast. In dota, people have mental breakdowns when they die, for a "good" reason. You loose gold, exp, your team looses a player for a while, etc. In a fps, people die all the time. You die, you respawn in a few seconds, sneak up behind that sniper, and break his neck. In a fps you kill a lot more heroes (always a good feeling) and in return, die a lot more. In addition, you can die in a fraction of a second (...snipers). Correct me if im wrong but Ive never seen any hero in dota kill someone that fast. That might not be fair to that extent in wc3, but you should be able to kill heroes in seconds. Which brings me to another idea. You should have the ability (if your good/lucky enough) to get 10 kill streaks and wipe out the entire enemy team alone. You would be God if you did that in dota, but in a fps, it really good, but nothing worth peeing your pants for.

So why dont I do it? Well heres the thing, I dont know how to. If I were to make a perfect map to fit this discription, nobody would play it. why? because i have to change wc3 too much. Yes mods are fun at times (playing a modern zombie game with a physics engine is always cool) and some of my favorite maps are complete mods of wc3, but they never catch on. this is because the vast majority of players are angery 8 year olds who dont want to proccess information while playing. Any retard can play dota or footmen frenzy. they are just wc3 with slight modifications to change how you play. So how do I make my map without completely changing the actual wc3 game?

Some ideas Ive had all involve you relying of the use of spells. Your spells are very powerfull and it only takes a couple hits from spells to kill you. Spells have little to no cooldown and you have a lot or unlimited mana. But now the game becomes button mashing instead of an actual game. But isnt a fps button mashing? You move and press the trigger button whenever you see someone...if that isnt button mashing then I dont know what is. So what do I do? So I guess my two questions are:
-Does this even sound fun/make sense? I think it does but maybe im crazy.
-How do I make a map like this WITHOUT completely modding wc3?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and thoughts.

Level 8
wait are you making a realistic hero arena or a fps I'm confused..?!

also offtopic, fps are anything but button mashing. Button mashing has to do with pressing as many buttons as you can without knowing what you are doing. Like if you are playing Soul Caliber and you don't know what the buttons do or any combos you in turn press all the buttons in combination's that your brain can never remember, and that is button mashing.

Level 6
Yeah I suppose its a realistic hero arena. The only first person shooter element is the gameplay ideas. You still buy items, control a hero and whatever else it is you do in normal warcraft. Sorry for the confusion, its hard for me to explain.

Alright, maybe fps arent "button mashing" but I was just trying to get my point across that they are generally simplistic and easy to play. Its the strategies and players who play fps that add depth and make them more complex then they really are.

Level 8
Oh cool!

I have been waiting for a project like this for a long time, its time that people start thinking more one hit kills then "I Can tank your shit all night". I thought about it a project like this a lot but I was gonna do crazy stuff like add really high evasion rates and really low health.

Unless that was your idea..

Level 6
Im glad to hear that this idea isnt nonsense!

Alright, well yes im trying to avoid the im-going-to-tank-you "strategy" and add more of fps elements. But I dont know how. Im trying to make it where heroes have a spell that costs no mana and no cooldown. It is very powerfull but you must use it strategically as well (as in pudges meat hook thing in dota). Heroes might have other abilities as well but that is where im stuck. The actual attacks of heroes will do little to no damage, mostly to make heroes auto-attack enemies to make the game feel more like warcraft. The problem is that a) I dont know if that would be any fun and b) if that leads too far away from warcraft itself.

And an evasion is a good idea but its all in luck. Thats partly why I would make spells like that meat hook thing. You would have to aim the spell correctly and enemies could dodge you spell, making skill a major factor and not just an imba hero and items.

Level 8
Think of maps like paintball and Warlocks. With such maps there are always those complaining about delay.

I like the idea and I have thought of it myself to some extent.

If you make all heroes combat aquisition 0 and add a basic spell like you are talking about with the hotkey A then that would surpass as an attack spell and would be the only way hero could attack.

Add different weapons and you've got Elimination Tournament, which is a good map but uses a particle system.

Level 6
Yes I have considered the delay, and being in mostly gui I suspect the delay would be slightly larger. But is it that dramatically game changing? Ok, maybe you lose a kill or two because of the delay but I dont know if thats enough to ruin the entire game. If you think otherwise feel free to tell. Im always open for an oppossing view.

And the zero aquisition range with a basic "attack" spell is the right idea but like you said, it turns into an elimination tournament like map. I want players to still feel like theyre still playing warcraft. I want to adjust how they play, not make them feel like they are playing a mod.

On another note, I brainstormed an idea on how to do this. There would be several unique heroes, each with their own strengths...blah blah. The heroes could still attack normaly (but their damage is greatly reduced). Each hero has 3 or spells. One spell would be the "attack spell" which would have no cooldown and cost no mana. This spell would act like pudges meat hook as in you would have to aim it effects the first target it hits. The other spells would be less powerfull but would range from passives to nukes to aoe. These spells have cooldown and cost mana.
THE PROBLEM: the game loses the wc3 feel a little too much. Players would use the hot key for their spell and not manuever as much. Actually, just play elimination tournament, thats how the gameplay is starting to feel.

Thank you for your replies. And again, any commentary about any aspect of the game is appreciated.

Last edited:
Level 6
Yes, the map would most resemble a hero arena where heroes die easily. Im simply asking for ideas on how to accomplish this without completely changing the feel of original wc3.

My idea is to give heroes a powerfull spell that players must aim and where enemy players can dodge this spell. The problem is that I dont know if this changes the feel of wc3 too much.

Sorry for the long novel, I just dont know how to explain this idea well enough.

Level 6
Swords? Well I was going to have all heroes be able to attack regularly. As for the balance between ranged and melee, ranged heroes would have a lower attack speed and health. This would make heroes auto-aquire enemies which is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.