• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New features that implemented with reforged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I dont see thread anywhere about discussin the new features that are currently added after release of reforged.

I saw someone using simple gui buttons like from sc2 but have no idea how to create throught triggers (if it was with triggers but i think so).

Then today I was browsing to find out what is new and I saw this action in the trigger list:

Game- Start Recording with FPS:30

I tried to make a simple map trying it out but have no idea how it works.. Or where is the record file saved if its being saved..

Do you have any info about this trigger, or knowledge about new ui triggers?

I already know that you can now have more players 24 than what was before 12.. It was actually released before reforged.

Do you have something else to discuss related into this topic?

Last edited:
This seems like a very broad topic. It would be nice to have a list of everything implemented with Reforged, but then you also have to decide whether to include all of the patches that the Reforged guys released leading up to the release of Reforged, such as 1.28, 1.29, 1.30, and 1.31. Assuming that we acknowledge those were created by the Reforged team and are basically new Reforged APIs, the list of added stuff would be very long. There would be an endless laundry list of difficult to categorize, almost random improvements based on all the suggestions people on Hive gave. As a few examples:
  • You can do item stacking by setting Max Stacks in the Item Editor, which is new.
  • You are no longer revealed to your opponents in custom maps when you build a custom Town Hall type unit, as long as you add that unit to the Gameplay Constants "Town Hall" list.
  • The ability editor has data fields that were previously missing in some cases, such as Maximum Creep Level available for Doom.
  • You can reference texture assets such as icons from tilesets that are not currently the active tileset by using a colon notation. For example, on a Lordaeron Summer map you could copy the Elevator destructable in the Destructable Editor, and change the replaceable texture file from ReplaceableTextures\Cliff\Cliff0.blp to now be _tilesets/x.w3mod:ReplaceableTextures\Cliff\Cliff0.blp and I was thinking maybe this would work. I just tried this and it appeared to be buggy. Perhaps it does not always work how I expected. The extension replacement for ".blp" to ".dds" probably accidentally used the first "." from w3mod instead of the last one. But in many cases this kind of asset use functions.

I think the list goes on. Should someone create an extensive list?

Level 7
This seems like a very broad topic. It would be nice to have a list of everything implemented with Reforged, but then you also have to decide whether to include all of the patches that the Reforged guys released leading up to the release of Reforged, such as 1.28, 1.29, 1.30, and 1.31. Assuming that we acknowledge those were created by the Reforged team and are basically new Reforged APIs, the list of added stuff would be very long. There would be an endless laundry list of difficult to categorize, almost random improvements based on all the suggestions people on Hive gave. As a few examples:
  • You can do item stacking by setting Max Stacks in the Item Editor, which is new.
  • You are no longer revealed to your opponents in custom maps when you build a custom Town Hall type unit, as long as you add that unit to the Gameplay Constants "Town Hall" list.
  • The ability editor has data fields that were previously missing in some cases, such as Maximum Creep Level available for Doom.
  • You can reference texture assets such as icons from tilesets that are not currently the active tileset by using a colon notation. For example, on a Lordaeron Summer map you could copy the Elevator destructable in the Destructable Editor, and change the replaceable texture file from ReplaceableTextures\Cliff\Cliff0.blp to now be _tilesets/x.w3mod:ReplaceableTextures\Cliff\Cliff0.blp and I was thinking maybe this would work. I just tried this and it appeared to be buggy. Perhaps it does not always work how I expected. The extension replacement for ".blp" to ".dds" probably accidentally used the first "." from w3mod instead of the last one. But in many cases this kind of asset use functions.

I think the list goes on. Should someone create an extensive list?
I quessed that somebody would misread it and miss the point. My thread includes only TRIGGERS and things that are new you can make with TRIGGERs after release of reforged. No, we dont mean patch 1.28, 1.29, or 1.30 as I said those things that came with them like 24 players I am already familiar with. Also I am only interested if someone find any neat new features not all of the (pointless features): like forexample mentioning the currently set ability set xxx is different than before but mention it POINTLESS since it doesnt do anything.

But as said if those are the changes that interest you you can discuss them here. I only care triggers.

Level 20
I listed my findings in this thread during the beta, especially on the first page:

Level 7
I feel like most features you listed could already do in some other way forexample attack defend press could be done with conditions..
Its a bit disappointing list.. However it did not contain new feature that was supposed to featured = button UI create.. I still dont know how to do it or havent seen any tutorials online..

Level 7
If you are looking for UI tutorials, look no further than tutorials from Tasyen. At the moment, it is not possible to access UI natives via GUI, except in custom script, which is fugly when it comes to UI creation. You will have to learn a bit of programming.

Another option is the Reforged UI Designer.
First link you gave did not work, and second one was not done with world editor triggers but needed to install 3rd party software.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Weird that a link to Tasyen tutorials didnt work... Those tutorials are certainly around, and if you find them, they definitely can work after you invest time into it - with no software other than World Editor.
First link you gave did not work, and second one was not done with world editor triggers but needed to install 3rd party software.

@Wlizer: please click on the second link (the one leading to Reforged UI Designer), and then scroll down to the bottom of the page, where links to 'Similar threads' are provided. They are an entry point to some of @Tasyen's tutorials about UI modification.

The 'Similar threads' footnotes are dynamic, and their content vary based on which page you are currently viewing.

Level 18
The first link worked for me yesterday and even now. However, it may only work for me. It was based on clicking the Resources button underneath the user's Avatar. This may just be the logical explanation for why it works only for me.

Reforged UI Designer may be 3rd party software but a pro for the program is that you can directly work with the visuals of your UI design instead of having to go through a middleman, such as programming. Then again, one could say you are still technically going through a middleman. So yeah...

I understand that not all wants to download a single program for a purpose that can be fulfilled natively.

Anyways, here's a direct link to one of his first tutorials: UI: Origin Frames

Last edited:
Level 7
Im not going to use jass forever tho. I like to know excactly how everything works in my game and I have no idea how jass works with triggers. So I will and not going to use jass (dont bother try to explain it).

It looks like there wasnt new ui implement triggers that came with reforged and some other add-ons did not give me anything specificially useful.

However I could add one function that I saw earlier and it was about to track mouse movements.

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 63
Most of the good stuff came in patches that were released months in advance of Reforged. This includes the customizable UI and Object Editor fields being modifiable through triggers. The UI stuff is only accessible through code though (no GUI implementation) but there's plenty of tools out there to help you make it work in GUI. I've already helped several people who have never coded before implement UI into their maps, and some of them ended up learning how to edit the code themselves. It really isn't all that complicated once you get over the initial "wall of text" syndrome.

Another massive improvement was the introduction of the programming language Lua. Your map can now be switched between Jass (default) and Lua modes. Lua is arguably much better and opens up the doors to many awesome things that weren't possible before. That being said, you can only choose one language, and Lua is more catered towards coders than GUI users simply due to the fact that people have been creating Jass resources for years and years while Lua has not. Lua also allows you to write your maps in separate programming languages that compile to Lua like typescript, c#, etc.

Anyway, I think an extensive list would've been made already if these new features weren't riddled with bugs that will seemingly never get fixed. We were given a lot of cool stuff but half of it either doesn't work or hasn't been fully implemented yet. Unfortunately, a lot of this stuff will probably never get finished.

Last edited:
It looks like there wasnt new ui implement triggers that came with reforged and some other add-ons did not give me anything specificially useful.
When the UI stuff was added to the game, I played with the idea of adding trigger actions for it.
You can pretty easily do that. Then you have trigger actions for the custom UI functionality.

I added the UI-functions to my GUI triggers in Warcraft 3 V1.31, but it has obstacles.

In the Warcraft 3 Frame UI the 3. digit or even the 4.digit in the fraction matters for position and size, but the GUI input Field limits you to 2 digits -> 0.xx but you will need 0.xxxx. Sure one can write 2/1000 => (0.002), but it makes stuff look more complex.

UI-Frame Events require the UI-Frame (Button) created before you register it, but the GUI event-creation runs before you could create Frames. Means you allways need a Trigger without Events to which you add events withhin another Trigger. In that Trigger you probably also create the Frames and the FrameEvent. Adds many Triggers.

UI-Frame-Stuff has a strong urge to be used together with GetLocalPlayer which can produce Multiplayer desyncs when used wrong and is also not accessable on default with GUI.

The game did/does not automatically map hardcoded Text to their localized content in the wts-File when you set Frame-Text in triggers. Therefore one has to throw Localize onto many "Set Frame-text" action. Otherwise one ends with a UI-Frame displaying TRIGSTR_XXXX. And nobody uses Localize in GUI or was it called externalize.

Because it requires a custom TriggerData.txt you map might become unopenable in World Editor, if you ever lose the custom TriggerData.txt. In the same time you would have to update the custom TriggerData.txt when Blizzard adds new GUI stuff. This also means that other people can not help you if they do not have your custom TriggerData when you ever would want to sent your maps to get help/coperation.
Using a custom TriggerData requires some courage. iIt means you break up with Blizzard's Authority over what World Editor GUI can do and what not.

There were other obstacles, but I don't remember them right now or I myself don't see them as such but they might be for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.