• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
My rig is nearing completion. I still need to change my HDD, PSU, OS and possibly the case and maybe add another GPU.

The current build is:
CPU: AMD Phenom II quad-core AM3 @ 3.51 GHz
GPU: HIS Radeon HD 5750 GDDR5 1GB with support for DirectX11
RAM: 3x OCZ Platinum XTC DDR3 1GB
Motherboard: ASUS M4A79T Deluxe
PSU: NorthQ 4775-400BULK ATX 400W <-- Sux
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB <-- Sux
OS: Microsoft Windows XP 32-bit Service Pack 3 <-- I want Windows 7

I can at least play Crysis at almost full graphics. I can't have it at max as my current OS only supports DirectX 9.0c :(

Last edited:
Level 22
YOu only have 3 GB ram yet a DX11 card? umm you are aware you are losing ram due to 32 bit XP OS as well...
Get Windows 7 64 bit and consider more RAM.

I know. I will add either 1 or 2 more GB RAM and get Windows 7 as soon as possible. I have also considered adding another GPU. I must also get a much better PSU. At least 600 Watt. Then I will get a better HDD and a bigger case.

Level 15
Mind if i ask what Phenom II x4 CPU you have? Is it BE?

I would recommend at least 6 or 8GB of RAM @ 1600MHZ or greater and windows 7 professional 64-bit if you really want to see some decent performance with that 5750. From what i've seen, the Phenom II x4 955 BE performs pretty well, and doesn't really bottleneck modern GPUs that much, but it's no i7.

You won't be able to play Crysis at all enthusiast settings @ 1920x1080 (or higher) with a 5750. Crysis is a very bandwidth sensitive game, and the 128-bit memory bus and lower bandwidth of the 5750 will hamper you.

Sweet PC man,

thinking on getting Nvidia instead of ATI Radeon. Bastards at tiger direct double crossed me. Got an ATI Radeon 4650 HD few months ago and it can't even play the games that exist today...well the ones i want unless i put it on low settings. Gonna be looking for an awesome Nvidia card that can play the games in 2010.

Anyways, $2299 daaaamnnnnnn. Hope to build my own someday

Level 15
Ummmm, HD4650 CAN play all games released, just not at high resolution, even with GDDR2

It is a good low watt card, cheap and reliable.

BTW, Tigerdirect sucks, research products before you buy, don't believe marketing BS, and always go for quality

The Search system on Tigerdirect is horrible, I mean like it is fricken scary

Now here is a comparison of Tigerdirect vs Newegg

This is a HD4650 from Tigerdirect: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5367469&CatId=3670

This is a HD4650 from Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161303

These are the same exact cards, at first glance the Tigerdirect one looks cheaper, eh? The large $44.99 in your face? Well look right above that, it is actually $54.99 vs the $52.99 on Newegg, that $44.99 is with a mail in rebate, Notice Newegg has that too? But they don't cover up the real price? Now add the HD4650 to the cart in Tigerdirect, and look at the shipping, now notice it adds alot? Well looky on Newegg, Free Shippin!

I am tired of Tigerdirect and their shenanigans, hell try the search engine on Newegg (although the one for video games needs work)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Some time Q1 next yer, nvidia will release their 300 series, those monster cards should easilly max games (they have insane memory bandwidth, DX11 and 3 billion transistors).

Even if you get something like a 275, it should play all games at good detail (maybe not max, but certainly it will grind a 360/PS3 away).

Level 15
Some time Q1 next yer, nvidia will release their 300 series, those monster cards should easilly max games (they have insane memory bandwidth, DX11 and 3 billion transistors).

Even if you get something like a 275, it should play all games at good detail (maybe not max, but certainly it will grind a 360/PS3 away).

Indeed. Crysis is an exception, we are just barely seeing it maxed out, nearly 3 years after its' initial release.

An HD 5750 is perfectly fine for most of today's games. The GDDR5 memory certainly helps it out.

Indeed, i always shop newegg, every part in my rig was purchased from them.

Btw, i never posted my finished build.

Antec P183 Case
Antec CP-850W PSU (I am really loving this PSU, it's dead silent and extremely cool)
Core i7 920 @ 3GHZ
8GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator @ 1600mhz
Dual GTX 260s in SLI (waiting to see how the GTX 300 series will perform before i invest more money in a better GPU setup)

Level 22
Mind if i ask what Phenom II x4 CPU you have? Is it BE?
It's AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition AM3 @ originally 3.41 GHz, but slightly overclocked to 3.51 GHz.
I'm planning on getting another GB Ram, but 6 or 8GB isn't needed I think. When I play Crysis at high (can't set it to very high because I have DX 9.0c) it's not using very much RAM. I also went to systemrequirementslab.com to check if I could play Crysis (I know I could :D) and it said I was way over the recommended specs.

Level 15

Speculation, no test samples have been given out

I think they are going to overshoot their December release date, and maybe the Q1

ATI is gonna have fun for a couple months :D

Edit: Oh wait, Nvidia released the 310, apparently it is a rebranded 210, Don't you luv Nvidia? (Note: It is an OEM card, and is less powerful than a Radeon 9800)

Level 15
It's AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition AM3 @ originally 3.41 GHz, but slightly overclocked to 3.51 GHz.
I'm planning on getting another GB Ram, but 6 or 8GB isn't needed I think. When I play Crysis at high (can't set it to very high because I have DX 9.0c) it's not using very much RAM. I also went to systemrequirementslab.com to check if I could play Crysis (I know I could :D) and it said I was way over the recommended specs.

I never said you couldn't play it, i said you couldn't max it out.

Level 22
Umm, no, for reasons i already explained.

Crysis is a very bandwidth sensitive game, and the 5750 just doesn't cut it where it counts.

I guess we won't get a real answer before I actually test it at max graphics with Windows 7. I've experienced tons of times that people or programs say I can't play a certain game with graphics at that level etc. BUT when I tested it I actually could. I have also experienced the opposite though.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
There is a difference between play and play. Gamers take play to be a constant average framerate of 40 to max. Programmers take play to be "you will get ingame with these options", even if it is like 5 fps which you logically can not play with.

What he is saying is yes, you will be able to run those settings but weather you achieve a good frame rate is another question. If he thinks a good framerate is a constant 60 fps (max for most screens), then he could just be saying you will be getting like 40 FPS. One thing is clear is he is pointing out that at max you may have frame rate issues.

Level 15
There is a difference between play and play. Gamers take play to be a constant average framerate of 40 to max. Programmers take play to be "you will get ingame with these options", even if it is like 5 fps which you logically can not play with.

What he is saying is yes, you will be able to run those settings but weather you achieve a good frame rate is another question. If he thinks a good framerate is a constant 60 fps (max for most screens), then he could just be saying you will be getting like 40 FPS. One thing is clear is he is pointing out that at max you may have frame rate issues.

You WILL have framerate issues, lol.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/10/12/amd_ati_radeon_hd_5770_5750_review/6

And DSG, i am a programmer. :p

Level 22
My screen resolution is only 1280x1024 so there won't be any problems. And yes, I'm going to get a bigger screen soon.
And I'm a programmer too and 5fps is not enough for me. I need at least 50fps and currently I have above 60fps while playing Crysis.

Level 15
My screen resolution is only 1280x1024 so there won't be any problems. And yes, I'm going to get a bigger screen soon.
And I'm a programmer too and 5fps is not enough for me. I need at least 50fps and currently I have above 60fps while playing Crysis.

Oh, well, i would hope you would have decent FPS on such a low resolution, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.