• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Thoughts on this computer build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Roommate computer enthusiast helped me put together this build. What are your thoughts? So far I just purchased the GPU and the motherboard (I'm buying the rest on the 1st to take advantage of credit card bonuses).

System Builder - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB TURBO, Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker

Compatibility Check: See notes below.

Remove All Custom Prices Start A New Part List
Component Selection Base Promo Shipping Tax Price Where
CPU
Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor

$279.99
CPU Cooler
NZXT - Kraken X52 Rev 2 73.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

$134.89 $134.89 OutletPC Buy
Motherboard
ASRock - Z270 Killer SLI/ac ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

$119.99 -$30.00 FREE $89.99 Newegg Buy
$30.00 mail-in rebate
Memory
G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

$189.99 FREE $189.99 Newegg Buy
Add Additional Memory
Storage
Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

$114.99
Add Additional Storage
Video Card
Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB TURBO Video Card

$529.99 FREE $529.99 Newegg Buy
Add Another Video Card For 2-Way SLI
Case
Fractal Design - Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case

$79.99 FREE $79.99 Newegg Buy
Power Supply
Corsair - RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

$99.98 -$20.00 FREE $79.98 Newegg Buy
$20.00 mail-in rebate
Optical Drive Choose An Optical Drive
Operating System
Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit

$139.00
Software Choose Software
Monitor Choose A Monitor
External Storage Choose External Storage
Expansion Cards / Networking
Add Expansion Cards / Networking ...
Sound Cards, Wired Network Adapters, Wireless Network Adapters
Peripherals
Add Peripherals ...
Headphones, Keyboards, Mice, Speakers
Accessories / Other
Add Accessories / Other ...
Case Fans, Fan Controllers, Thermal Compound, UPS Systems
Custom Add Custom Part
Base Total: $1688.81
Mail-in Rebates: -$50.00
Total: $1638.81

Level 21
you should get a 32 gigabyte memory kit(2x 16 gigabytes). your graphics card have a terrible cooling so it would fry quickly( i had a 660 ti with the same cooling and it fried.) you need a graphics card with better cooling(2 or 3 fans). SSD harddrives is expensive(and short lived) so rotating harddrives would cost less and give you more space. the chassis limits the number of harddrives you can have(think that one should have room for 2). your power supply should be powerful enough. you cpu should be powerful enough at the moment and you can switch it with another one later.

Level 15
Thanks for the review.

I was wondering about the single fan on my GPU. I've already used both the GPU and the memory, I don't know if I could even return them, I'd have to see the return policy.

I figured 16 GB would be enough memory for my purposes, I was trying to go mid tier computer rather than go all out, but perhaps its better to go all out.

The Samsung SSD I bought is pretty small, it's like a tiny flat chocolate bar. How much smaller are rotating hard drives?

Level 1
Thanks for the review.

I was wondering about the single fan on my GPU. I've already used both918kiss สมัครthe GPU and the memory, I don't know if I could even return them, I'd have to see the return policy.

I figured 16 GB would be enough memory for my purposes, I was trying to go mid tier computer rather than go all out, but perhaps its better to go all out.

The Samsung SSD I bought is pretty small, it's like a tiny flat chocolate bar. How much smaller are rotating hard drives?

From the news about the Intel vulnerability, I think to ryzen better.

Level 21
there is some small ssd harddrives that fits on the motherboard and some larger ones that takes up space in the chassis. rotating harddrives is larger than the small ssd harddrives but takes up the same chassis space as the big ssd harddrives. i used a gtx 1070 with similar cooling and it overheated, preventing me from using the pc until the next day. i returned that pc because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.