• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Building my Own PC, What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
After reading over the posts in my last thread, I decided to buckle down and build my own PC. I have made a list of parts, and have hyper links to see more info on each part. I have checked over compatablility stuff with the CPU, Mother Board, RAM, etc. Since this is my first custom built PC, I thought I would run it by some of the experts. All helpful comments are appreciated.

Processor: Intel Core i7-2600k Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz

Mother Board: GIGABYTE GA-P67X-UD3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB)

Video Card: SAPPHIRE 100314-2SR Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

DVD Burner: Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner LightScribe Support - OEM

Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Power Supply: SILVERSTONE OP800 800W ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply
Monitor: ASUS VH238H Black 23" Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 250 cd/m2 ASCR 50,000,000:1

Key Board: Thermaltake Tt eSPORTS CHALLENGER Pro Gaming Keyboard

Mouse: Logitech MX 518 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical 1800 dpi Gaming Mouse

Well I can't seem to get hyper links to work, I am buying parts from New Egg, so you can search them if you want. Or just ask me and I will give you an word file or rtf with hyperlinks or something like that

EDIT: Updated Parts List

Last edited:
Not in a specific order.
  • Intel is very overpriced. Run AMD, and your wallet will feel a lot better (and heavier), and the performance of the computer won't be decreased at all (anyone whom tells you otherwise is a liar! No, but seriously, the performance increase that Intel has isn't worth the extra money).
  • If you run the OS off a SSD (solid-state drive), you'll have decreased boot time, and a faster overall system speed (I/O speeds on a SSD are a lot faster). Small note though, you'll want to invest in another harddrive for all your media, and whatever can be installed to it.
  • I'm not a huge fan of that case. To me, it looks like it's main features are being shiny and having red lights. But alas, it's more of a personal preference, but I'll still offer a suggestion: This is the case I currently use, and I'm very fond of it, and I'll most likely use it until I absolutely have to replace it.
  • If your going to get a gamers mouse and keyboard, go Razer man.

That is all.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Intel is very overpriced. Run AMD, and your wallet will feel a lot better (and heavier), and the performance of the computer won't be decreased at all (anyone whom tells you otherwise is a liar! No, but seriously, the performance increase that Intel has isn't worth the extra money).

That is debatable as the I5 series offers very good performance to cost ratios that AMD may struggle to beat. Additionally some of the I7 series has no AMD counter part as they are so much further ahead.

If you run the OS off a SSD (solid-state drive), you'll have decreased boot time, and a faster overall system speed (I/O speeds on a SSD are a lot faster). Small note though, you'll want to invest in another harddrive for all your media, and whatever can be installed to it.
The only correct part is "you'll have decreased boot time" as once the computer is booted most of the OS is cached into memory anyway so the advantages drop to near non existant outside of booting. SSD may be good but are definatly not worth their cost at the moement as you are better off just placing more hard disks or creating a RAID array.

They do have uses such on laptops due to being more robust than mechanical drives or when random access performance over a large volume of data (too much to cache in RAM) is required but those are not a normal use.

Also how on earth can a keyboard be a "gamers" keyboard? Does it have a higher order key push detection matrix or something (can detect more keys pressed at once)?

RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB)
I could sware all I7 models supported tri-channel RAM. In that case you may wish to consider 3 x 2GB or even a stupid 3 x 4GB. Be aware that so much RAM will never get used unless you are running a server, changing games you play ever few minutes or doing something experimental.

Video Card: GIGABYTE GV-R585OC-1GD Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
Do make sure firstly that there is nothing offered from the 6000 series that may be better suited for you.

Level 15
XION is a brand known for flashy crap. And I mean crap, low build quality and frequently faulty parts. Rosewill isn't much better, it's Newegg's "inhouse" brand. Frankly if you want a case for that price, look at Antec, CoolerMaster, or Thermaltake. Lian Li, Sliverstone, and Corsair are also good if you feel like shoveling more money out, and certain NZXT models are good.

Now for the powersupply, also an XION. XION's are known as Tier 5 power supplies. Those are the ones that like to let out blue smoke and feed laxatives to your motherboard. I've heard reports of them managing to take out fans. 12V FANS. In summary, refer to this list: http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

It's damn good, I would move Fortron down a notch on it though, they have a few 5VSB spikes on startup, nothing bad though.

I could sware all I7 models supported tri-channel RAM

Not Sandy Bridge

And stop recommending Razer, they are worse than even Cyborg.

Level 7
Power Supply: SILVERSTONE OP800 800W ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

Are these good parts instead of xion?

EDIT: I also found a better video card, see top post.

Level 15

Are these good parts instead of xion?

EDIT: I also found a better video card, see top post.

Yep, that PSU can run two of those GPU's without trouble if you upgrade later. And the case doesn't look too bad, make sure you run a pickle or carrot around inside to check for metal burrs before you put anything in. Don't want your arms sliced, and they make a good snack after.

Level 27
Keyboards already have a delay less than 1 frame? I agree though that the keys being more sensistive may help. Also how is membrane annoying?

Keys glow in the dark

Extra Programmable keys

More geeky info like time on the display, but also FPS and that sorta thing... a lot of possiblities here...

Also some media functions

Furthermore it's a GAMER keyboard!! How awesome to have that! a GAMER keyboard =p

Level 15
Keys glow in the dark

Extra Programmable keys

More geeky info like time on the display, but also FPS and that sorta thing... a lot of possiblities here...

Also some media functions

Furthermore it's a GAMER keyboard!! How awesome to have that! a GAMER keyboard =p

Rule of thumb: Products labeled "Gamer" are usually $50 more than a product that does the same exact thing but doesn't say "gamer".

Also, media keyboards are so common that I managed to get 10 Dell SK-8135's for $1, and I use them.
Got 2 USB ports on the back and 16 media keys that I reassigned to do various stuff (includes 2 way audio dial), except the calculator link, that bugger is damn useful.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The problem I have with keyboards is when using them to emulate game controlers. Due to the keyboard hit detection certain combination of keys can be pressed at once. Pressing any more keys will result in a overload noise and nothing happening. Try pressing a few action buttons at once and moving at a diagonal in some emulators and you will hit this limit which is damn annoying.

Thankfully I can map the keys to my 360 controler which does not have this problem.

If you want to recreate this keyboard problem, just hit like 10 keys at once, you will see nothing happens.

Level 15
dsafdafssssssssssssssssssssfgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggos44444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444

That was me trying to recreate that with my keyboard, first pressing 10 at once, then finally mashing them all down with my palms. Still worked. I know what you mean with the emulators though

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I remember playing a game when I was young that needed shift to run. I could not run up and left at the same time but I could run up and right. On a different keyboard I could run both perfectly fine. Thus there is a key bandwidth which is an important feature with keyboards.

Level 15
A lot of USB keyboards feature NKRO (N-Key Rollover), but most mechanical PS/2 keyboards support NKRO.

For example, hold down both shift keys and try to type the following sentence;

the quick brown fox jumps right over the lazy dog

On a keyboard with NKRO, you should be able to fully type the entire sentence. However, on a keyboard that does not have NKRO, you'll only be able to parts of the sentence.

Here's a link that explains it all; http://www.microsoft.com/appliedsciences/AntiGhostingExplained.mspx

Status
Not open for further replies.