• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need technical help for missing dlls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
As it says at the title I have this api-ms-win-crt-runtime-|1-1-0.dll error when I try to use Retera Model Studio. I tried to search first in the internet for solutions and I tried repairing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable (x64) and installing a new one but I discovered I don't have a Windows 7 SP1 OS, I still have the Windows 7 Professional version and SP1 isn't available in the Microsoft website anymore. I don't know what to do. Also there are dll websites I saw but I'm not sure what sites are safe to download from.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
You mean you never installed SP1, and the VC++ Runtime installers from this page
... require Windows 7 SP1 in order to install?

** Update **

rotfl, I know what the problem(s) is/are

Last edited:
Level 19
Microsoft website is the first thing that I searched for possible solutions. I forgot to mention I keep getting errors when installing the VC++ which I don't know why because the log file isn't showing or telling what error it is. One possible issue is because I don't have Windows SP1 and it isn't available in the microsoft website anymore.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
The SP1 is still available from the catalog:

If you have never updated your copy of Windows 7 (for example, by disabling Windows Update), then you are missing:
  • the SP1 (+ the pre-required hotfix for it to install properly)
  • the servicing stack update
  • the sha-2 update
  • the convenience rollup
  • the cumulative update (note: the Feb 2018 one may not include the telemetry stuff that was added later)

Because the latest downloads for the VC++ 2015-2019 Runtime are SHA256-only signed, you may encounter errors because of that. For the record, Microsoft is in the process of deprecating SHA-1 in/from their products

Now, do you want to update your copy of Windows 7, or do you want to simply try to install a previous version of the VC++ 2015-2019 Runtime that is dual-signed? I can assist you in both cases.

So, what would you like to do?

Last edited:
Level 19
ohh I never knew that it still available in the catalog because the links from previous queries in microsoft support showed that it was unavailable. Weird right

Actually I've been looking for a way to update my Windows 7 because it keeps crashing as it periodically shows the blue screen error and it really disrupts whatever I'm doing. So it would be great if I can update my Windows 7. And it might also help me with my issues for VC++2015

pyf

pyf

Level 32
I can not guarantee this will solve any of the crashes / BSODs. Also, be aware that updating your copy of Windows 7 may or may not require you to re-activate it afterwards, depending on where this copy might eventually come from cough!. I suppose it was you who decided to disable Windows Update?

Anyway, for a manual download and update, the KBs are
  • Windows 7 SP1: KB976932 (+ prerequisite: KB2533552)
  • Servicing Stack update: KB4489885 plus KB4490628
  • SHA-2 update: KB4474419
  • Convenience Rollup: KB3125574-v4 (to be up to date until April 2016)
... plus any remaining monthly Cumulative update, it's up to you. For the record, the February 2018 one (KB4074598) iirc did not include the telemetry stuff, nor did require a SSE2 capable CPU yet (damn you for that, Microsoft!)

Last edited:
Level 19
Well I bought this in a local computer store with the OS already installed way back 2016-2017 so I don't think I have any activation keys or whatever I need. I disabled the windows update because the notifications was annoying I did update some stuff tho.
Thanks for the steps I might not be able to immediately update it because internet connection issues but I'll get back if I see some problems.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] I discovered I don't have a Windows 7 SP1 OS, I still have the Windows 7 Professional version [...]
Well I bought this in a local computer store with the OS already installed way back 2016-2017 so I don't think I have any activation keys or whatever I need. [...]
rotfl this seems so weird, because the SP1 was released in 2011.

[...] or do you want to simply try to install a previous version of the VC++ 2015-2019 Runtime that is dual-signed? [...]
For documentation purposes and for the sake of completeness for those interested, I was referring here to the VC++ 2015-2019 Runtime v14.28.29213.0 (dual-signed on August 13, 2020), which happens to be the final(?) version of the runtime that also works on Windows XP

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] Actually I've been looking for a way to update my Windows 7 because it keeps crashing as it periodically shows the blue screen error and it really disrupts whatever I'm doing. So it would be great if I can update my Windows 7. [...]
This goes without saying but in case you still have not updated yet, then maybe you will want to run a full Scandisk first, in case there might be any bad sectors / logical errors on your HDD.

Level 19
do you want to simply try to install a previous version of the VC++ 2015-2019 Runtime that is dual-signed? I can assist you in both cases.

Hello again would you mind if you could also provide info for this one too. Updating to SP1 is kind of difficult in a way that my internet speed is not helping. This option might be smaller in data usage so I guess I could go to this option too.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The issue might be due to Windows 7 not being supported. Retera Model Studio depends on standard Java builds, of which newer Java builds from some source might no longer support Windows 7. For example the AdoptOpenJDK build for JDK 16 (current latest) only supports Windows 8 and newer operating systems. I am not sure as to the exact version of Java they currently distribute with, but in the last year odd they have been pushing towards more recent versions for access to the additional features and newer JVM code (which can improve performance, reliability, user experience, e.t.c.).

I never happened to see this until now but as a note the version of Retera Model Studio on Hive is shipping with an old version of Java 8. If there are problems with DLLs in some case like you described, or for anyone else with a similar issue, as soon as the problem becomes this technical then the best/easiest solution in my opinion is probably to install a version of Java that is supported by your PC and use that installation instead. For the Hive tools page download link to Retera Model Studuo, minimum Java version that should work is Java 8. As @DrSuperGood mentioned, other Hive users have worked on better and newer builds of Retera Model Studio that would require newer Java versions, but those are not yet on the Hive tools page.

Installing your own Java 8 runtime is also how some users can run the Retera Model Studio on Linux or Mac computers, even though obviously neither of those would have the DLLs you spent all this time discussing. But I bring that up to emphasize how it would be possible to run this program without specific DLLs that were needed by what I included in the ZIP download.

Edit:
For anyone who ends up stuck on an issue like this again, please include more information on what part of the software asked you for the missing DLL. Until now everyone assumed that you needed the DLL in order to run the Java 8 Runtime C++ Windows Executable. However, Retera Model Studio also uses LWJGL C++ native wrappers. If those wrappers needed some missing DLL(s) then the Retera Model Studio would probably start up at least partway but the 3d graphics would not display. If that happens the solution is probably very different and harder to solve because you need to recompile the Retera Model Studio against an older version of LWJGL or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.