• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need some basic help at modeling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hi everyone.

It has been quite a while since I last posted in the forums, but I was very busy with my career. However, I recently (like a month ago) started learning how to model. I was already tired of using resources made by other people, so I decided to make my own models.
I already know how to work around with meshes, I just need you to give me some tips on the following things:

- How can I "tell" the model what texture paths are used for it? I know how to make the UVW mapping, but I have no idea about how to set texture paths.
- How can I set up animations? I can animate my models, but I don't know, for example, how to set the "Stand" animation for frames 0-40, the "Attack" animation for frames 40-80...

I know these things may be very simple for most of you, but I really didn't find anything helpful in the tutorials section (maybe I didn't searched very well, I apologize for that...).
Well, can someone help me?
I use 3DS Max for modelling. I would want to know how to make these things with that program (if possible). If I can't do it with 3DS, I'd want to know what program should I use.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

- How can I "tell" the model what texture paths are used for it? I know how to make the UVW mapping, but I have no idea about how to set texture paths.
- How can I set up animations? I can animate my models, but I don't know, for example, how to set the "Stand" animation for frames 0-40, the "Attack" animation for frames 40-80...

Easy. Bith is done in Magos (a.k.a. Warcraft Model Editor). Just open the model in Magos and click on the Texture Manager, if you want it to use custom textures. A window will pop up. Inside it, click somewhere on the empty space and select Import on the menu that will pop up. The rest is as done in all other programs when importing something. :wink:
For using ingame skins, open your model in Magos (again). Then in the top-tab bar is an option named Windows (this is where the Texture Manager is as well!). There, select MPQ Browser (on the bottom of the up-popping menu). A new, big window pops up. In this window, click onto the option File and the now upcoming menu either War.mpq or WarX.mpq. The first is for the Reign of Chaos stuff and the second for The Frozen Throne stuff. The skins are mostly in the Textures or Units folders. Once you found the needed skin, rightclick on it and select the option Use as Texture.

These were the ways of importing skins. Now comes the part in which you make your model use them.

After following one of the two aforementioned steps, click in Magos onto the Windows option in the menu bar and go to Material Manager in the up-popping menu. There you will find some things, like Material 02319A10 for instance. Doubleclick on one of them. This will cause a new window to pop up. In this new window you will see something named MaterialLayer 0215E918, for instance. Another window will pop up inside which you'll have different menus and options. The options on the left named Unshaded, Unfogged, TwoSided and so on are options about the intensity, transparency and side of the skin. On the right side you have 3 menu things. For choosing which skin must be used, click onto the first (top) menu. It will now say some things like ReplaceableID 1, Textures\Green_Star.blp and such. There you must find the appropriate skin.

This is just a simplified version of the complete guide. Check out the Tutorials section for detailed instructions and additional informations. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.