• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need ideas for creating two abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Dear Hivers,
I have this idea to create two abilities:
1. 'Chance to miss' (CM) on attack - first it is an ability like 'critical strike' and 'evasion' - it is always active. I would like to somehow imitate the effect the 'curse' spell does but to make that effect permanent (not expiring) and it should be on the unit itself not casted on others.

Ex.: Let's say a Grunt has CM 35% (or has 65% chance to hit), the ability is present on him the moment he appears (by any means) on the map. When the Grunt strikes and misses the message 'Miss' should appear above his head as it does with the 'curse spell'.

Should I use a hidden book and make a 'curse spell' with cast on self option with 9999 duration and 0 mana cost or should I do this in some other way?

(I know about the WE 'gameplay constants' - 'chances to hit option' and I am not going to use that one at all, as I will have variations of the CM ability having different chances to hit/miss for different units)

2.I would like to have an 'evasion' ability that shows instead of 'miss' text above a unit to show a 'dodged' text (I don't know if this can be done in the WE itself without triggering) and also this text should appear above the unit that dodged the attack!
If I am not mistaken currently 'evasion' causes the text 'miss' to appear above the unit that is attacking not the one that is dodging, no?!
So how should I do it with the 'evasion' I have no idea here!?

(I believe that these things can't be done without the usage of triggers but if there's someone who would like to prove me wrong, please DO so!)

Level 30
1. I think you will really have to give the ability to the units as preset. I do know units starts off with 100% chance (I guess)...

2. You could try going to Gameplay Interfaces and Constants and find it. But I do think it is hard coded in Wc3 itself because I have tried this thing too.

Level 7
1. Hell_Master I don't quite get what you mean...

2. You mean find the 'evasion' ability in 'Gameplay interfaces/constants' and change it from there? I think I tried that in the past and came to the same conclusion - hard coded. But anyway it still doesn't solve the problem with the text appearing above the wrong unit - I need it to appear above the dodging unit not above the attacking one! :/ (I will see if I can manage to trigger it somehow)

Level 30
1. Well, I cant actually get what you mean by the question that much but your point is givng all units a preset Critical Strike and Evasion right? You can give it to all units in Map Init though it will be harder than expected mostly if you want each unit to have different Critical Strike rate and Evasion Rate.

2. And here you mean is to change the Miss Text when an attacked miss through Evasion or such..... I cant still find a way and only the last option I can found is either messing MPQ or Wc3 files themselves or going to Gameplay Interface or Constants even if you dont like it that way.

Level 7
Okay I will try to put it in a more clear way:

1. A Grunt has CM1 which gives him 35% chance to miss on an attack, but a Footman has a CM2 which gives him 20% chance to miss on an attack. (no critical strike involved I only used it to point out that it is an active ability (like evasion or auras' are), not one that you have to cast)

Is it more clear now?

2. I doubt I have the skill to mess with MPQ or WC3 files in such a way. So your proposition is to find the 'evasion text' in the 'Gameplay' menu and try changing it from there, right?

Level 30
Clear and actually I explained that one but sad to say, I cant help much and only through explaining I can help. So you like units to all have their own miss chance on attack. What youbwill have to do is give them Evasion ability with different chances so if you want units to have a different chances, you would have to make each trigger for each unit and give them their specific Easion with their specific chances to miss on an attack.

Not an easy way...

Use a DDS system of some sort, and use custom floating text to show either 'miss' or 'dodge'.

Go into Game Interface: Text General - 'miss' and set it a blank string.
Miss Text.png

The raw data name for this field is MISS, incase you want to find it that way.

Level 7
Okay let me rephrase it a little bit:
- the 'evasion' is connected to the second ability not the first one, because it will not give me the effect I want to have.

Here's what I mean: A Footman and a Grunt attack a Peasant that has 40% evasion - in this case both the Footman and the Grunt have 40% chance to miss!
But I prefer them to have Footman (20% chance/miss) and Grunt (35% chance/miss) while attacking the Peasant.

(That is why I am wondering whether it isn't better to use 'curse' somehow on every single unit, but units don't 'autocast' it when the target is 'self')

Level 7
Zeatherann isn't that going to remove also the text for evasion?

Hera_ that is more like what I need, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.