• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to make a buff ignore invulnerability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Is there away to make a unit targeted spell hit invulnerable target?
I want banshee curse to hit even units with divine shield, avatar and make them miss the target of an attack.

Or is there any other way to make triggered evasion?
(adding evasion to an attacked unit is not a solution)

Level 14
upload_2020-5-10_11-3-47.png

Try adding these tags to your ability.

Level 4
Well, thank you, but ... I obviously did. Doesn't work. Divine shield cleares the buff and prevents from placing. Same with avatar.
Do you have any idea how to make a unit (divined, avatared) miss attacked unit?

Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
I'm not sure if it's possible to apply Curse to an invulnerable unit using just the Object Editor.

Avatar on the other hand grants Spell Immunity and this can be bypassed by a Hero ability with the Level Requirement of 6 (it's treated as an Ultimate), at least I THINK this is the case.

Anyway, here's what I would do to get Curse to work against any form of immunity:
1) Use a Damage Engine and trigger Curse myself.
2) Create an ability that can target invulnerable units or modify Curse to do so.
3) Make a trigger that adds a hidden aura to the target of Curse for X seconds.
This aura acts as a debuff icon, with it's targets allowed set to Self.
4) Using the Damage Engine, detect when a unit with this hidden aura ability deals damage and trigger the miss chance yourself.
If the attack is a miss then set the DamageAmount to 0.

This wouldn't be an exact recreation of Warcraft 3's mechanics so expect some unwanted interactions.

Last edited:
Level 4
I wanted functional dodge system. I used Banshee Curse but it does not work with magic immune units.
I have something better and easier now.

I realised that ranged attacks callculate if they hit / miss even before they reach the target.
The decision is made at the point of launching the missile. Not beginning of an attack.
So ... what to do? Logic.
Make the time between beginning of an attack and launching a missile equal to 0.
If we set "attackpoint"(dmgpt1) of unit's attack to 0, then if an attacker attacks and we give 100% evasion to the attacked unit, then a missile(launched immediately after that) will miss.
It does not necessarily work with attack animation, but as I said before ... functional. Not estetical. :D

The problem are melee heroes. They hit straignt at the "attackpoint" point.
So ... what to do? Logic.
Make them ranged, with 100 range, no missile model, but ... missile speed. Equal to? Natural "attackpoint"*100.
It even looks good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.