• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need help with my spell system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hello, Im doing a spell system. But i have 1 problem with it. I thought of using Q,W,E,A,S,D as hotkeys in this spell system. So 1/6 of the spells will held hotkey Q 1/6 W and so on...
When the hero learns the spell they will be put in a spellbook. When he clicks on the spell in the spellbook it will be added to where usually spells appear when they're learned. And you have to do a choice between Q,W,E,A,S,D.
If you choose like Q the spell will be added in a variable (Q) And we say the real hotkey is W of the selected spell, and this is detected by conditions. And now here comes the problem.. When you click Q it should first be a stop trigger to prevent the other spells that got Q as a real hotkey of running. And now the Q variable spell should cast. But the problem is that when you click Q there's maybe no other spell that got Q as a real hotkey out where you usually have your spells. So you can't always detect that Q click... Someone got any ideas?

Level 11
How about a dummy ability with a black icon that looks like an empty slot.

Well. What do you mean with that? Only 1 dummy ability? But there's six different hotkeys. ^^ And even if i made 6 abilities then you wouldn't see the icons of the spells.

But i maybe could do an multiboard showing icon and spell name on hotkey Q and then i will have 6 dummy abilities with black icon. So when a unit uses ability Q Q variable will run. :D i think you just solved my problem :D.

But what do you think about this or is it lame not the see the icons where they should be. Cause you see them in a multiboard.
What do you think ?

Status
Not open for further replies.