• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hotkeys act weird?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey guys,

I have a really weird issue with the hotkeys of four spells.

Basically, I have 3 spells that are the same - their hotkeys are Q, W and E respectively (imitating that a spell has 3 stacks and can be used as many times as the number of stacks) and another spell which is different from the previous that has a hotkey R.

The thing is that the hotkeys are not reacting properly. If my R spell is on cooldown and press R it casts one of the other three spells. Also, if the four spells are NOT on cooldown, pressing Q/W/E/R doesnt really matter since the first spell casted will be the one with hotkey of R.

Any suggestions?

If the editor file is needed, I can give a link.

Thank you

Level 25
Are the spells based on the same spell? You can't have two spells based of holy light on a hero, or 2 thunder clap based spells, etc.

If you want to do that, use the Hero - Channel spell, modify it to your needs and trigger dummy units to cast the spells for you, you can have multiple spells based of channel, just not the other ones.

Level 2
Are the spells based on the same spell? You can't have two spells based of holy light on a hero, or 2 thunder clap based spells, etc.

If you want to do that, use the Hero - Channel spell, modify it to your needs and trigger dummy units to cast the spells for you, you can have multiple spells based of channel, just not the other ones.

Unfortunately, they are.

What will you suggest in order to this SPELL?

Note: start the video from 0:40.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

You have overlapping order strings. Use individual order strings.

Level 2
You have overlapping order strings. Use individual order strings.

How to do that? I will greatly appreciate help for that matter.

mOLSNRi.jpg

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Maybe you set the order strings to be individual..

Well to be informative:
1. Go to Object Editor
2. Go to Ability tab
3. Navigate to the ability you wanna fix, and open it
4. Navigate to value "Text - Order String - Use/Turn On"
5. Set it to a unique value

Level 2
Maybe you set the order strings to be individual..

Well to be informative:
1. Go to Object Editor
2. Go to Ability tab
3. Navigate to the ability you wanna fix, and open it
4. Navigate to value "Text - Order String - Use/Turn On"
5. Set it to a unique value

Thank you for the suggestion but it doesn't seem to work. I changed all of the spells' strings to different values but to no avail. :ogre_rage:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I don't believe you.

Link me the map. Via PM if it's secret.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I was dead wrong, do as LordDz said.

Nice map, that's the beginning man, +rep for a new wc3 modder star :)

Level 2

Can you gimme a tip how to do that? :ogre_hurrhurr:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Where do you specifially need help? The process LordDz described seems crystal clear to me, so I don't know where you can get stuck :/ Is it the dummy or...?

Level 25
You need to use different abilities.
There is one ability which does nothing by default. It's name is Channel. That ability has one specific field: Data - Base Order ID.
As jondrean wrote, your problem is that your order Ids are overlapping (since all three abilities have same order id, the game doesn't know which one you clicked).
The channel ability's "Base Order ID" fields allows you to specify which order ID this ability will use.
This allows you to have multiple abilities all based off Channel spell, but if each has different value in "Base Order ID" field, they will not overlap and thus work perfectly fine in game.

What you basically need to do:
Create 3 spells based off Channel. Each with different Base Order ID. These spells will be used by your hero unit - thus it should have proper mana cost, cooldown, etc.
This is called "Dummy spell", because it actually does nothing except it starts triggers.

The 3 spells that your hero uses now should be remade into non-hero spells. Their cooldown, cast time, mana, etc. all should be nulled, so if you gave it to for example the Footman unit, he should be able to cast this spell immediately.

Now in object editor, you will need to create dummy unit. Dummy unit is a normal unit like any other, except it cannot be seen ingame since it lacks any models, nor can it be selected. Dummy units cast the actual spell.
Just now, I wrote how dummy unit should be set up in object editor in other thread. Check this post: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2623607-post11.html

Lastly, you will need to make triggers. When your hero casts the dummy spell, you create a dummy unit and make it cast the actual spell.
Since the dummy unit will only cast 1 spell and it will only have this one spell, there will be no overlapping of order IDs and it should work just fine.

The process is basically this:
Your hero casts the dummy spell -> The spell starts a trigger -> Trigger spawns dummy, give it the actual ability -> The dummy casts the ability on target(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.