• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need help change UI MainMenu3D background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
First english is not my native language so I apologize for any grammar mistakes.

Yesterday I downloaded a WC3 mod called Ascension. It uses WOW loading screen. The ROC version uses Cataclysm background and TFT uses WOTLK.

nbhGD85.jpg

nRSyJV7.jpg

It looks really great and brings a whole new experience to WarCraft 3. I want it for my WarCraft 3 too.
I tried MPQ Editor to open war3.mpq, war3x.mpq but everything is file000000.xxx. I don't know what to do anymore. I have never mod before. All I know is find: UI/Glues/MainMenu and place it to my WC3 folder. Enable AllowLocalFiles and done. But this modded .mpq have no directory so I can't find it.

Here the download link of that mod: Warcraft III Ascencion by buyichi moddb

Pass unrar: buyichi

Please help me, thank you for reading.

Last edited:
Level 3
Check out those two tutorials, they might help you :
Custom Menu Background in wc3 - Wc3C.net
Customizing your Warcraft

For RoC the path is : UI\Glues\MainMenu\MainMenu3d\MainMenu3d.mdx
For TFT the path is : UI\Glues\MainMenu\MainMenu3D_Exp\MainMenuEd_Exp.mdx
Yeah I read this already. That's how I know of MPQ Editor. But the .mpq of this mod is different, it doesn't show the file directory. Everything is file0000001.xxx, file0000002.xxx ... and so on.

upload_2018-12-23_19-33-10.png

What I want is the WOTLK and Cataclysm files like in the screenshot :(

Level 3
Just add a War3Mod.mpq folder to the WC3 directory with the given file path?
I don't understand what you mean.

The screen is in UI/Glues/MainMenu/MainMenu3D_Exp and UI/Glues/MainMenu/MainMenu3D but I can't find it in the modded war3.mpq and war3x.mpq. It's show everything as file00000x.xxx, not the directory like a normal .mpq file.

Last edited:
Level 11
Depending on what version you have, if you have the latest,
1. you would rename the file that contains your desired loading screen as MainMenu3D.mdx then make a folder called War3Mod.mpq inside your wc3 folder

2. Inside the War3Mod.mpq folder, create a layer of folders with the path being UI/Glues/MainMenu/

3. Place your file inside MainMenu.

A tool that can do this for you is WC3 Mod Manager v1.1.1

Level 3
Depending on what version you have, if you have the latest,
1. you would rename the file that contains your desired loading screen as MainMenu3D.mdx then make a folder called War3Mod.mpq inside your wc3 folder

2. Inside the War3Mod.mpq folder, create a layer of folders with the path being UI/Glues/MainMenu/

3. Place your file inside MainMenu.

A tool that can do this for you is WC3 Mod Manager v1.1.1

Thanks for your help but I think everybody don't understand what I mean.
Right on step 1 "rename the file that contains your desired loading screen as MainMenu3D.mdx". This is what I'm trying to do. I just can't find those files because it all named file000000.xxx.

A normal war3.mpq looks like this:
upload_2018-12-24_8-43-26.png

While the modded war3.mpq looks like this:
upload_2018-12-24_8-48-54.png

How can I find the exact screen files?

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-24_8-41-28.png
    upload_2018-12-24_8-41-28.png
    180 KB · Views: 339
Level 3
Have you tried using a different MPQ Editor like War3ModelEditor or Wc3ModelViewer? Maybe that would work.

I have found it :D
upload_2018-12-24_18-43-22.png
The WOTLK worked but the Cataclysm one doesn't. I used War3ModelEditor to open and its run fine but when I put it to the game, the game won't open. Can anyone take a look for me, I don't know what was wrong.
UI.zip

Level 28
Did you set the path to UI\Glues\MainMenu\MainMenu3d\MainMenu3d.mdx?
From the link you've provided, I can see that the MainMenu3d.mdx file is not in the appropriate folder, and can't be opened with the ModelEditor unless I move it to my desktop. The textures path seems broken, and they'll need to re-worked again.
I don't know if that's the case though...

Level 13
Just so you know, MPQs normally have a file inside of them called "listfile" that lists all that's inside of it, but in your case the listfile has been deleted (to protect the MPQ from stealing I suppose) so you see all of these "file000000.xxx". I think you can use Ladik's MPQ editor to open that MPQ using war3.mpq or war3x.mpq's own listfiles and that should make your job way easier. As an alternative you could create your own empty listfile (a .txt file should be fine), add these lines:

UI\Glues\MainMenu\MainMenu3d\MainMenu3d.mdx
UI\Glues\MainMenu\MainMenu3D_Exp\MainMenuEd_Exp.mdx

and then use it with the MPQ editor. After you've done that, extract and open the model you're having trouble with using War3ModelEditor, look for the texture paths in it and add them into the listfile. By doing that you'll be able to see and extract the textures you need from the mpq and then add them (with the correct path) to your MPQ. If you've done it right it should work.

Last edited:
Level 3
Did you set the path to UI\Glues\MainMenu\MainMenu3d\MainMenu3d.mdx?
From the link you've provided, I can see that the MainMenu3d.mdx file is not in the appropriate folder, and can't be opened with the ModelEditor unless I move it to my desktop. The textures path seems broken, and they'll need to re-worked again.
I don't know if that's the case though...

Just so you know, MPQs normally have a file inside of them called "listfile" that lists all that's inside of it, but in your case the listfile has been deleted (to protect the MPQ from stealing I suppose) so you see all of these "file000000.xxx". I think you can use Ladik's MPQ editor to open that MPQ using war3.mpq or war3x.mpq's own listfiles and that should make your job way easier. As an alternative you could create your own empty listfile (a .txt file should be fine), add these lines:

UI\Glues\MainMenu\MainMenu3d\MainMenu3d.mdx
UI\Glues\MainMenu\MainMenu3D_Exp\MainMenuEd_Exp.mdx

and then use it with the MPQ editor. After you've done that, extract and open the model you're having trouble with using War3ModelEditor, look for the texture paths in it and add them into the listfile. By doing that you'll be able to see and extract the textures you need from the mpq and then add them (with the correct path) to your MPQ. If you've done it right it should work.

Thanks guys. I think I have the right texture files and put it to the right path.
The .mdx file in MainMenu3d and its textures in MainMenu3d_exp. I don't know why the author seperate them like that either. I used War3ModelEditor to open and it worked. But when I put it to the game, the game won't open.

upload_2018-12-26_9-19-26.png

upload_2018-12-26_9-22-19.png

Level 13
That is *so* weird, it should work. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the texture paths are case-sensitive, since "ui" is lowercase while your directory is all uppercase (UI). (EDIT: That's probably not the case actually)
Another thing that could've happened: your first screens are from 1.26, but you're trying to use this model with the latest patch. I've noticed that since 1.30 (or earlier) some textures extracted from older MPQs make the game crash. If you still have an older version of wc3 installed see if this background works there. In any case, I'd try to get the model and textures from another source (Cataclysm's own MPQ) and use those instead.

Last edited:
Level 28
I tried to change the textures path and it's still crashing for me on v1.27a. I even tried to remove the whole texture path (ui\Glues\MainMenu\MainMenu3d\) from each texture but the model shows up completely black on the screen. I suspect this is due to the lighting (Omnilight) which is missing from the model file.

Level 3
That is *so* weird, it should work. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the texture paths are case-sensitive, since "ui" is lowercase while your directory is all uppercase (UI). (EDIT: That's probably not the case actually)
Another thing that could've happened: your first screens are from 1.26, but you're trying to use this model with the latest patch. I've noticed that since 1.30 (or earlier) some textures extracted from older MPQs make the game crash. If you still have an older version of wc3 installed see if this background works there. In any case, I'd try to get the model and textures from another source (Cataclysm's own MPQ) and use those instead.
I tried to change the textures path and it's still crashing for me on v1.27a. I even tried to remove the whole texture path (ui\Glues\MainMenu\MainMenu3d\) from each texture but the model shows up completely black on the screen. I suspect this is due to the lighting (Omnilight) which is missing from the model file.

So complicated... I'm kinda gave up now. I think I'm satisfied with WOTLK, just figured out I can change the menu music too XD
Again thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.