• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need help about import Warcraft HD model in to blender

azi

azi

Level 1
Hi, recently I want to import Warcraft HD models into blender to make some 3D animate. I exported a Jaina model by casc viewer and got mdx file and dds files. Then I used mdl-exporter to import mdx file to blender. After the model loaded in blender, I soon found that the UV texture didn't import with model.
(ps. I tried import MDL file but error showed as follow↓ )
1701190343414.png

I tried use shader editor to link dds texture file to model by myself, but some part of texture look weird.You can see the follow image that Jaina' right eye seems covered by some skin, and the left seem to have some triangle stick on it. I tried a lot to fix it but neither worked. I start thinking that the RMS used its own shader editor to load texture and it looks very well. Can I use the same parameter that RMS used and make it look the same like model showed in RMS? or anyone know how to import model with texture into blender?

1701190528620.png

sorry i am still a benginer for 3D modeling, any advise is appreciatie and hoping someone can help me.

I start thinking that the RMS used its own shader editor to load texture and it looks very well. Can I use the same parameter that RMS used and make it look the same like model showed in RMS?
Fundamentally, RMS and Blender are both open source programs. So, given sufficient time investment, it should always be possible to read how one or the other works, and then apply the knowledge to the other program.

The issue with Jaina's eye is coming from LOD data. Basically, each HD model on Warcraft III: Reforged has 3 additional copies of itself in the same file, and the copies are each lower and lower graphical levels of detail created in an automated way with a vertex weld. So, to fix that part, you want to just delete out the 3 lower levels of details. It was clarified by a then-blizzard employee that this data is not used: Why do Reforged models have 4 copies of all mesh?

Other than deleting the 3 unused lower levels of detail, the other helpful thing to do might be to join the Retera Model Studio Users Group discord server in my signature and ask people there.

I am not personally a blender user, and so I a pretty ignorant about that, but as tie went on when I was not making as many updates as people wanted to the RMS the folks over there made their own version of the code and created the Twilac version -- and Twilac also worked on an improved blender plugin to import this stuff. So, folks over there can probably help.

Edit: The exact shaders used by Retera Model Studio are in the file here: ReterasModelStudio/craft3data/src/com/hiveworkshop/rms/editor/render3d/NGGLDP.java at master · Retera/ReterasModelStudio

I named this file NGGLDP which stands for "Not Good GL Design Practices", where GL refers to OpenGL. In other words, I was aware that I was hacking together code that is probably not well written and not well informed. This was my first time making a program that displayed PBR shading, and I was copying a lot from tutorials. Then, over time, I iterated on the code to try to make it look a little bit better.

Last edited:

azi

azi

Level 1
Fundamentally, RMS and Blender are both open source programs. So, given sufficient time investment, it should always be possible to read how one or the other works, and then apply the knowledge to the other program.

The issue with Jaina's eye is coming from LOD data. Basically, each HD model on Warcraft III: Reforged has 3 additional copies of itself in the same file, and the copies are each lower and lower graphical levels of detail created in an automated way with a vertex weld. So, to fix that part, you want to just delete out the 3 lower levels of details. It was clarified by a then-blizzard employee that this data is not used: Why do Reforged models have 4 copies of all mesh?

Other than deleting the 3 unused lower levels of detail, the other helpful thing to do might be to join the Retera Model Studio Users Group discord server in my signature and ask people there.

I am not personally a blender user, and so I a pretty ignorant about that, but as tie went on when I was not making as many updates as people wanted to the RMS the folks over there made their own version of the code and created the Twilac version -- and Twilac also worked on an improved blender plugin to import this stuff. So, folks over there can probably help.

Edit: The exact shaders used by Retera Model Studio are in the file here: ReterasModelStudio/craft3data/src/com/hiveworkshop/rms/editor/render3d/NGGLDP.java at master · Retera/ReterasModelStudio

I named this file NGGLDP which stands for "Not Good GL Design Practices", where GL refers to OpenGL. In other words, I was aware that I was hacking together code that is probably not well written and not well informed. This was my first time making a program that displayed PBR shading, and I was copying a lot from tutorials. Then, over time, I iterated on the code to try to make it look a little bit better.
Thank you for your detailed reply for my question!
I also found the eyes problem can be solved by deleting some meshs, but that time I don't know why, your reply just solved my confuse.
I also very appreciate you reply me about the location of exact shaders of RMS. Altough I have no programing knowledge, the rough shader connection by myself works for me at least now.
Thanks again for your kind reply!