• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need a terrainer for a Hero Arena- Tournament of Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I am currently working on a hero arena: Tournament of Champions.

General Info
This will not be your standard bnet hero (crappy tooltips, tons of blizzard spells, huge imba characters). The heroes will not be extremely powerful either: No 3k damage crits, insta kill ults, or 8000 hp level 3 heroes running around. The focus will be what items you buy, or how you "build" your hero, which creates a greater emphasis on strategy, instead of just maxing out your 20k finger of pain and go around kill everyone. This also creates a greater need for teamwork, since heroes will be designed with synergy with other types in mind. Another reason teamwork is valuable is that killing the final boss, will result in victory for your team. This is not the only way to win, as you can also win by getting a certain number of hero kills (depending on game mode). If one team plans badly, and fails to kill the boss, the other can sweep in and kill it for victory. These means that turnarounds are always over

Oh I forgot to mention this. I would need a working beta of the terrain by the end of july. That doesnt' mean 100% complete, with all bells and whistles, but like 60/70% done.

Story:
The gods have gone through the worlds, picking out those of the greatest fortitude. These selected few have been transported to the Arena of the Gods, and have been given the chance to ensure riches and fame in their mortal lives, and a place in heaven in their eternal lives.

Features:

-Lots of unique and triggered spells (wc3sear.ch/hive make this easy)
-8 elemental minibosses, Each boss drops a unique item, which is specific to a certain class (ex: Fire Elemental drops a Fire totem that enhances mana regen, and you can lay it down and it enhances your spells with fire. This is obviously a caster item)
-1v1 Dueling (You can challenge anyone, even an ally!)
-Team duels that occur regularly
-Final boss. You must first complete a miniquest to get to him
- Detailed tooltips, divided into two parts: Story and technical information. So if you like reading the story you can, but if not you can skip straight to the important information

Anyway here is the main point of this thread: I suck at terraining. I can do basic terrain, but I can't produce anything with a truely "epic" feel. So i am asking for someone to do it for me.

I already have a basic layout (see link below) setup for what I think would be good, but I am totally open to suggestions to be better (although it must be balanced).

my.php

Picture of the terrain I want, done with pro paint skillz.

If you do decide to design the terrain here are the things it needs to include:

Things It needs to include
- Needs to be on a medium sized map (theres just not enough room for all this on a small, and a large is to big)
- Must be confrontational. What i mean by this is: set up in a way so that heroes are likely to run into each other.
- Exactly 11 creep spawns
- Hero selection Area
- 8 separate miniboss arenas (remember this is a TOURNAMENT, so something coliseum-ish would be perfect), and a boss arena
- Small private 1 v 1 duel arena
- Larger, 5v5 arena. (again, someway to put spectators naturally in there would be cool)
- 2 bases (duh lol). About the size I have on the layout would be good.
- 9 waygates. I want the boss arenas to be only accesable via these, not by just walking
- Practical for PvP. I want this to be beautifal, but there must be enough open space for practical pvp. This means the paths should be at least wide enough to hold 3 people
-Must fit 1 of the two themes.
-Sunken ruins: The arena of gods is set amongst the ruins of an ancient civilizations. Strange statues and trees adorn this place, adding to the air of mystery.
- The arena of the Gods is located high in the heavens, beyond where any mortal can reach without Divine Intervention. It is a mysterious place, full of many wonders and symbols that mortals cannot begin to comprehend (Set in the sky, if possible floating (maybe its possible to reskin a tile to look like sky and place it around the edge so the arena appears to be floating?). This is more open to interpretation: It can be pretty much anything as long as it has a truely epic and god-like feel to it.

Post here or message me on aim/yahoo/msn/email (all are in my profile), if you are interested.

Level 8
Hi dude :thumbs_up: I have read over your ideas, and although it's nothing new, I think it's nice to see someone actually striving for balance in an arena style map, so I would be happy to help you with terraining. I don't think I'd be all that great at doing terrain set in heaven, and it would also probably mean quite a few imports, which obviously isn't good for B.net, (maybe a Garden of Eden setting would be easier?) but anything else, I will gladly help if you want. I'd like to ask if you will be having any kind of doodad limits to keep file size down, and what is the file size currently?

Just ask if you want me to throw a few examples together, or you can find 1 here:

http://hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36345

Level 2
Hi dude :thumbs_up: I have read over your ideas, and although it's nothing new, I think it's nice to see someone actually striving for balance in an arena style map, so I would be happy to help you with terraining.

True, this map isn't striving for a new ground breaking map concecpt. Its development began, because i couldn't find a hero arena that was Bnet friendly, balanced, good looking, decent tooltips, and had decent heroes.

I don't think I'd be all that great at doing terrain set in heaven, and it would also probably mean quite a few imports, which obviously isn't good for B.net, (maybe a Garden of Eden setting would be easier?) but anything else, I will gladly help if you want.

Garden of Eden is actually a REALLY good idea. If you have aim/msn/yahoo or something we can discuss this, maybe?

I'd like to ask if you will be having any kind of doodad limits to keep file size down, and what is the file size currently?
Well due to me playing around with Grimoire, and freezing up my computer while saving I lost the most current copy of the map, so the one i have now just has the baseline triggers (creep spawn, duel, revive, other basic stuff), but it was about 600kb. And when i reimport the models , Im going to use the mdxsquisher this time (just found out about it), and i might take out portraits which will shave off a good bit also. Anyway, I dont plan on importing much more then this (just buff models, and some icons). For doodads, i'd say use as few as possible. Obviously not a crazy amount, but enough to make it look realistic. I'm being stingy on my imports, so hopefully that will leave room for terrain.

Just ask if you want me to throw a few examples together, or you can find 1 here:

http://hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36345[/QUOTE]

Level 8
OK, well it sounds like you are quite eager for the help and ideas, so I will set up an AIM acount and we can discuss things on there, although I can't find your address on your profile, so please post it here. Will you have a final limit on file size at all, because I have a rather duff computer and it laggs terribly on maps with large file sizes (usually over 1mb, but it plays some 1.3mb maps fine), which wouldn't be good for testing purposes!

Last edited:
Level 8
Garden of Eden

Hi burningice :thumbs_up:

Just to let you know, I'm still having probs with the sunken ruins, making corridors and the like just doesn't look good really :bored: or atleast I can't make it look good. This also makes me think that will be the case with the city aswell. Anyway, I will try a more open plan sunken ruins type thing later and we can see what we think.

OK, so here's my thinking on the Garden of Eden idea. I'm afraid there is pretty much no way of making enclosed corridors and stuff like you said for this one though. Anyway, I thought this kind of magical pool thing would serve as a good centre peice for your arena, and the fountain would serve to draw players in and make them fight for it. I couldn't think of anything else which would fit the theme and serve as a centre peice though, so this is it really. Give me your thoughts on it and if you like it we can start thinking about the actual map.

GofE1.jpg

By the way, is the map already in the sunken ruins tileset?

Level 2
Wow, nice work!!!

Maybe you're taking a to forresty approach. Have you ever been to a garden, one of the big ones, with wandering paths that go through it? Think something like that So try and make some paths going through it. If we have to sacrifice some of the beauty, thats a sacrifice we'll have to make :(.

Maybe you could make the basic terrain layout next? Nothing fancy, just enough so that we can agree on placement and stuff.

And no, the map is currently in felwood tileset (I'll just export the data to your map).

I like the fountain in the center, it could give limited mana regen (hp would be to good for creeping). Its definantely going to work.

Level 8
OK cool, glad you like it :thumbs_up: If you're happy to stick with this theme then we can get started on the actual arena. It will be no problem to put paths winding round, I created this just as a centre peice for the arena so you could get an idea of what the Garden of Eden theme will be like. They won't be able to restrict heroes movement obviously so the whole thing will be pretty open and spacious, unless we have lots of rocky areas and cliffs which units can't traverse or something, I dunno :bored: Anyway, give me all the info you can on how you want the layout and I can get to work on that, hopefully tomorrow if I can. If I do so, do you want this waterfall and pool scene to be the centre peice in the actual map?

Just to let you know, unfortunately I won't be able to work on it over the weekend, and I'm going to be away between the 26th and 30th July so I'm afraid there'll be a bit of a dry spell, but I'll try and knuckle down and get something together that you can atleast implement everything you need into, so you can carry on working on other stuff if needs be. Let me know how you want stuff to happen and I'll get to it :wink:

HermanTheGibbon

Level 2
Okay, i'm working on a very detailed list right now, i'll edit this post when i'm done.

edit: the things i posted on the first post are specific enough

- Needs to be on a medium sized map (theres just not enough room for all this on a small, and a large is to big)
- Must be confrontational. What i mean by this is: set up in a way so that heroes are likely to run into each other.
- 11 creep spawns
- Hero selection Area (off to the side or something)
- 8 separate miniboss arenas (remember this is a TOURNAMENT, so something coliseum-ish would be perfect), and a boss arena. These must be accessible by waygates, which would be grouped together somewhere
- Small private 1 v 1 duel arena
- Larger, 5v5 arena. (with room around the side for some neutral passive spectators).
- 2 bases on opposiste sides.

edit again: Please dont make the map to big. no more then a medium sized terrain (i want heroes to be forced to creep near the enemies, and fight each other often)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.