1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Naxxramas Progression

Discussion in 'Hearthstone' started by PurgeandFire, Jul 22, 2014.

1. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Naxx has been released in the Americas, and will be released in EU tomorrow. How has everyone fared in the wings so far? (spoilers ahead, in case you haven't tried it yet)

The first wing, Arachnid, was fairly straightforward on normal. I used an existing deck as a mage and it happened to work out for the entire thing.

Class challenge was interesting because you have to play around the deck they give you, but it was still fairly straight forward. Maexxna was a bit annoying though because of the sea giant, which is usually hard to deal with, as well as the 4/6 Spectral Knight (which IMO, is rather OP).

Heroic, on the other hand, was pretty challenging:

Anub'Rekhan summons a 4/4 on heroic, which is insanely annoying to deal with, especially since most early spells only deal 3 damage. I used my existing mage deck on this as well, and the key cards were: raging worgen (it can take a good chunk of hp out of him), amani berserker (getting a 5/2 is great, and can take out one 4/4), azure drake (+sp helps, e.g. frostbolt will take out a 4/4), water elemental, and flamestrike (if you can last until you get flamestrike, it'll help a lot). Beware of having 3 hp units when he gets to 7 mana, because his locust swarm will take them out.

Grand Widow Faerlina gets good AoE pressure due to her hero ability (1 damage to random character per card in enemy hand). In general, choose a deck that won't hoard cards. I used Zoo lock, with a few changes. Enrage units are great for this since they'll often get hit by the hero ability. Imo, worgen over scarlet crusader and get some enraged berserkers. As zoo, it was pretty easy though. But hellfire can really mess things up. I was lucky and she didn't use it until the turn before her death.

Maexxna is the funnest and most challenging (imo) heroic boss. You need a deck tailored to her hero power: auto-cast 0 mana web -> returns 2 random enemy units back to opponents hand. As such, your deck should compose of battlecries and charges. I chose rogue for this, especially because of elven archers and SI:7 assassin. More importantly, get cheap heals, such as the 2/1 amani troll or the 3/3 far seer. I dipped pretty low in the fight (~4 hp) but ended at 30 hp by the end of it. Alternatively, you might be able to use zoo or something, but I didn't try it. I just relied on my assassin to get damage and other battlecries/weapons/AoE's. I also picked up two assassinates, which is useful against the sea giants and anub'ar ambushers. I ran out of cards in the match, but by then, she was running out as well (and I had board control). Goblin bombers are also really useful, but they are tricky since you need RNG help and it can damage you.

Sadly, there isn't any reward for beating it on heroic. Oh well. It was fun though. I love the music. How was your guys' experience with it? And what decks did you guys use?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  2. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    WAAAAAAY to easy..

the first 2 encounters = 2 tries each
    thrid encounter = 1 try
    Both class challenges = 1 try each

Good job blizzard, everything done in 1 hour.

edit: I will give them credit for amazing voice acting and visual effects though.

3. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Yeah, it was pretty quick. Although, the servers crashed and latency was bugging out so it felt like it took longer than it actually did. :p That was probably one of the buggiest/lagfest launches I've ever experienced. Every few minutes, hearthstone would undergo an update. Did you do them on heroic? What deck did you use for Maexxna?

Anyway, it was still pretty fun, and the music is great. I look forward to next week. Hopefully it'll have better rewards.

4. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Not if it's true that you gain NOTHING for it..

I created a new zoo lock deck with some of the new cards. Replacing one doomguard with the new legendary etc.

edit: apparently you get a card back after defeating all 15 bosses on HC..

5. Death Adder

Death Adder

Resources:
    Resources:
    Normal and Class challange was really easy, first try on all. (got a bit lucky with rogue that I had alextraza so each time she were bounced because of the hero power i'd just get full hp again)

So far only killed anub rekhan in heroic, i played around a little and then I thought that handlock is probably the best way to go. I also added in corruption and used it on the 2 8 taunt with summon creature from enemy deck as deathrattle, poof sunwalker turn 3.

edit: For faerlina I obviously had to change deck because of her hero power, and i instantly thought of aggro paladin with divine favour. And I already had my murloc paladin so I used that and it worked out really well.

Edit 2: finally beat maexxna with a hunter deck, the key is to get board control and then you can just snowball since almost all of his cards are low value.

6. don_svetlio

don_svetlio

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Wasn't too easy but it was too short and the enemy cards repeated way too much. I did like the new board and class challenges though, cool idea. Personally, It took me 1 try on everything except druid challenge, mostly because I don't have too much experience with playing druid and I'm used to fast-paced swarms. It took me around 1.5 hours. Haven't played heroic though I don't really have any incentive to do so.

7. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    It was a joke, the AI is absolutely braindead and does one massive misplay after another. But hey, the moment they announced playing against the AI it was obvious the "content" itself will just be a filler.
    The only "difficulty" I experienced was the Rogue challenge, which I found to have an absolute garbage of a deck which I found nearly impossible to win with.
    I was hoping the class challenges would have some funny theme in them (which was kinda the case with the gargoyle buff gimmick in druid) not "let's throw some of the worst cards in the game for you to play with and cry" bullshit that was in the rogue one.
    The Heroic mode though, is just lame.

Also personally, the fact they use random class cards is pretty lazy.

8. Death Adder

Death Adder

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well RNG and casual is pretty much the theme of the game, it's just the high player base and accessability that has made hearthstone into a competitive game.

9. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I think Heroic Anub'Rekhan is the hardest boss in the current wing, the other two bosses are too gimmicky and can be easily beaten with virtually anything once you see their hero power.
    Especially Heroic Maexxna I think is very poorly designed, possibly the easiest match from the expansion so far, I don't get what people find so difficult on beating her.

10. Ceday

Ceday

Resources:
    Resources:
    I won against all 3 and first 2 heroic easily but don't understand why you think heroic Maexxna is the easiest.What you use against it?

11. PROXY

PROXY

3D Modeling Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    I don't have Alexstraza so Maexxna is really annyoing. My zoo and priest decks beat the other bosses on the first try each but I'm stuck on her. Tried various decks from Hearthpwn several times now but can't get her down.

12. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ok I cleared the HC mode now..

1st encounter: my priest deck.
    deck

[​IMG]

2nd encounter: Modified Zoo Lock
    deck

[​IMG]

3rd encounter: Controll Lock (not hand lock)

I removed the deck since it was made to counter only, basically you abuse heal battle cry since he returns them to the end each turn. Then Jaraxxus late game to finish.

13. Death Adder

Death Adder

Resources:
    Resources:
    Anub uses the 2 8 taunt deathrattle summon minion from enemy deck. I used corruption and then it was an instant win basically.

14. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I got harvest golem and the silence owl by killing them D:

15. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    She always starts with the creep spiders, kill those fill her board with 1/1s and you will take only 7 damage a turn.
    Get something that heals like Guardian of Kings or Ancient of Lore and keep smacking her face with charge and you pretty much can't lose.
    It is very, very facerolly match.

With Anub the 2/8 taunter isn't really a problem, the free 4/4 every turn starting turn 2 however... (even as soon as turn 1 with coin)
    Every match, regardless of the deck I use it ends up with him having a full board of broken cards by turn 5, the only time I beat him I did a stupid gimmick priest deck with divine spirit + inner fire with taunted 11/11 ancient watcher he couldn't get through.

16. Death Adder

Death Adder

Resources:
    Resources:
    You're missing the point, it's deathrattle makes it summon one of your minions to the board. If he gets it in hand he will coin it turn two and that means that by turn 4 you can have, say a sun walker which happen to trade 3 for 1 against 4 4's.

Basically the easiest way to win against him is to just spam big creatures and get corruption in hand.

17. Tonex

Tonex

Resources:
    Resources:
    For me, the Heroics were a joke, since I also got pretty lucky. For Anub, the taunt gave me Ragnaros, which pretty much won me the game. Faerlina I just zoo'd down so I never had cards in my hand on her turn. For Maexxna I went full heals, only played two cards per turn and crushed her with Arcane Golems.

18. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Yes it did, it annihilated my Faceless and one of my Ancients of Lore.

I'm gonna bet my kidney that the card is gonna get nerfed so hard it will burn a hole in the ground.
    The deathrattle will end up being a serious advantage for the owner of the Deathlord 80% of the time.
    From all the times I have killed him in the missions he pulled out a card that got completely screwed, majority of the minions in my decks have an essential battlecry effect and the deathrattle completely neutralizes them, it is absolute BS.

I can't even begin comprehending what they were thinking when they made the card.

19. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    I had a LOT of trouble with the heroic bosses. Faerlina is really easy, but the other two are much harder. I haven't tried a rush battlecry against Maexxna, but I will today. Took my many tries to beat Anubarak.
    (I just guessed at spelling names)

Finally won with this "OP" deck. Everyone says Alex is too easy, but getting her out on turn 9 without him having lethal within a turn is pretty hard. And I actually didn't need her. I used her when I had already won to heal myself for 2 health here.

Attached Files:

20. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Maexxna is easy. All you need is 6 cards.

Silence owl 2x > earthen ring farseer 2x > voodo doctor 2x

any class works.