• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Nameless RPG

Should the various Maps be tuned for Heroes of different levels?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hi, so i have an idea for a map. Well its already more than an idea, already working on it and such. But i've got some big decisions to make and would like you guys opinions on the matter.

Ok here's the map... or rather, maps.
Basically its a Dungeon-crawler RPG map series, wich means there'll be more then 1 map like this and you'll be able to Load your hero in any of the maps.

Now here's the thing, the max level is going to be around 40 but i'd like it to take a while to reach that high. So should all the maps have monsters of the same level, or should there be maps that are tuned for Heroes of certain levels.

For example, first map being released will feature enemies from level 1 to 15,
second map will have enemies from level 15 to 20, and so forth.
At max level there'll be rather difficult maps that are intended for level 40 Heroes with items accumilated from easier maps. ( Think of WoW raiding )

Please leave your thoughts, suggestions on both the entire concept of the RPG and the scaling of the maps thingy.

Thanks in advance! :goblin_good_job:

Level 8
I think that having the level range go up as you progress is important. I mean, would anyone at level 15 like to go and kill a group of level 1 creeps? I don't think so.

Level 7
I think that you could help by putting the Suggested players as the level range, like this:

Mission One Suggested Players: Level 1 - 10
Two: 10 - 15
Three: 14 - 19
Four: 18 - 21
So on and so forth, allowing a bit of overlap, especially two or three levels later on so people don't have to waste several hours on the same map over and over again to get one level higher.

Level 18
I think that your first map must have enough potential to bring players to a high level (even if they don't reach lvl 40). THEN if people likes the map they can download severals other "Dungeons" (new maps) adapted to their level.

I mean that your first map must be attractive enough and long enough to make players in need of more dungeons and especially harder dungeon.

For instance:
First map (Biggest dungeon) - Level 1 to 30 (few level 30 dungeon, maybe only one)
Second map (Big dungeon) - Level 20 to 35
Third map (Small dungeon) - Level 30 to 35
Fourth map (Big dungeon) - Level 35 to 40
Fifth map (Big Dungeon) - Level 40 (chance of looting epic items)

Level 13
Could branch it out really
Have like 5 Maps first than after that you could make multiply maps for Map 6 and that
So the player could choose which map they want to go to next.
Just throwing a idea out there for ya

Level 3
Hi Im dooin a similar project, but not dun geon crawler i dont know if this helps you but the way i did it is like the maps r different areas with different lev ranges, now i made my mapos big so each is like 10-15 levels. I f ur rpg also flows with a story like mine does i make it so thers a few quests you have to do to move on to the next map or u can make it free roam,but if you do that make sure you have some sort of warning to players gooing into an area with stronger enemies so they dont jus roll into a mid game area at level 2 :p well those r my thoughts hope i helped you out. by the way if ud like to exchange info an maps (since wher dooin similar but different projects) id be happy to share my thpoughts an ideas

Level 10
Hi Im dooin a similar project, but not dun geon crawler i dont know if this helps you but the way i did it is like the maps r different areas with different lev ranges, now i made my mapos big so each is like 10-15 levels. I f ur rpg also flows with a story like mine does i make it so thers a few quests you have to do to move on to the next map or u can make it free roam,but if you do that make sure you have some sort of warning to players gooing into an area with stronger enemies so they dont jus roll into a mid game area at level 2 :p well those r my thoughts hope i helped you out. by the way if ud like to exchange info an maps (since wher dooin similar but different projects) id be happy to share my thpoughts an ideas
Map sizes will vary and while each dungeon the players go to will have it's own background story, there won't be an actualy storyline that takes you from the 1st created map to the 2nd if u know what i mean.

Map descriptions will also have a message like : Suggested Level : 1 - 15
Anyway thanks for your feedback and sure i'd love to know more about the project you're working on too.

Level 7
40 is a good low level, also to take into account with setting level requirements, is to make sure the lowest level (if played by someone who's prepared and knows what they are doing) can survive just as well as the highest level for that map, starter map would be an exception, because there will always be the level 1 guy who wants to be 'power leveled' through all the begining stuff.

Level 10
If you meant that for example in a map for levels 20-25, both the level 20 and level 25 can complete it then yeah no problem. Though if you kill all the required enemies to reach the end, you're bound to have gained a couple of levels already.

Status
Not open for further replies.