• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mysterious Unit Editor Fields

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
I made a list of fields and categories of the Unit Editor which I either have no idea what they do or am unaware of the exact specifics, both for personal record and in case anyone else is interested/wants to help with the research. I know about Darg's Unit Editor Guide, but many fields are incorrectly explained, unclear or not explained at all; some are not even on the list.

If I gather enough information, I might try to make a new comprehensive guide that properly explains all fields, though I wouldn't complain if someone more knowledgeable than me made it.

I hope people (@Dr Super Good, @Jampion) will share what they know so we may all learn.

Art - Animation - Run Speed [Real] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}
Art - Animation - Walk Speed [Real] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}

How exactly do these 2 fields affect the speed at which the model performs its 'Walk' animations?
This is what I figured out so far:

Since most models have only one ' Walk' animation, 'Art - Animation - Run Speed' and 'Art - Animation - Walk Speed' are set to the same value in most units.

For units that have an additional 'Walk Fast' animation (Pit Lord, Kodo Beast, Magnataur, Thunder Lizards and Spiders) the middle value (median?) between 'Art - Animation - Walk Speed' and 'Art - Animation - Run Speed' determines which animation is used, 'Walk' or 'Walk Fast'.

If the value of 'Movement - Speed Base' is greater than or equal to the middle value between 'Art - Animation - Walk Speed' and 'Art - Animation - Run Speed', 'Walk Fast' is the default animation. However, if the unit's movement speed gets reduced (e.g. Slow or Cripple) below the middle value between 'Art - Animation - Walk Speed' and 'Art - Animation - Run Speed', it will use 'Walk' instead of 'Walk Fast'.

If the value of 'Movement - Speed Base' is lower than the middle value between 'Art - Animation - Walk Speed' and 'Art - Animation - Run Speed', 'Walk' is the default animation. However, if the unit's movement speed gets increased (e.g. Bloodlust or Scroll of Speed) to a value equal to or above the middle value between 'Art - Animation - Walk Speed' and 'Art - Animation - Run Speed', it will use 'Walk Fast' instead of 'Walk'.

If 'Art - Animation - Walk Speed' is greater than 'Art - Animation - Run Speed', the results are reversed; the unit runs when it should walk (and when it gets slowed) and walks when it should run.

Art - Elevation - Sample Points [Integer] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}

I googled the term sample point and found these definitions: Single possible observed value of a variable; one of the possible outcomes of an experiment. However, it didn't make it any clearer what this field does.

It is set to 0 in ground units; 2 in flying units and Kodo Beast; 3 only in Siege Engine; 4 in buildings, mechanical siege units and Turtles.

Art - Elevation - Sample Radius [Real] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}

I know this has something to do with the unit's altitude when it's positioned on slopes/hills/coastal areas, but I can't figure out how it works.

Large values seem to cause the unit to completely ignore pitch and roll angles if 'Art - Elevation - Sample Points' is greater than 1. The unit goes underground when ordered to go up slopes/hills and sometimes even randomly hovers.

It is set to 20, 30 or 50 in ground units. Turtles are the only exception; they use unique values for some reason: 60, 120 and 150.

It's set to 50 in buildings (except for the Chimaera Roost and a few other buildings).

It's set to either 50 or 100 in flying units.

I could be wrong, but it seems like larger units generally have higher values in this field.

The field is also found in Destructibles; it's used like this:
0 - Trees, Barrels, Crates, Barricade, Cage, Egg Sack, Thrones, Igloo, Rock Chunks, Pathing Blockers, Invisible Platforms
50 - Gates, Rolling Doors, Walls, Ramps, Icy Rocks, Ice Floes, Lever, Ruins Naga Circle
100 - Dalaran Violet Citadel, Volcano, Foot Switches, Short Bridges
200 - Bridges

Art - Fog of War - Sample Radius [Real] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}

It's set to 0 in all units, except for the Grain Warehouse (128) and City Buildings (128 in small buildings; 200 in large buildings). I'm guessing it works similarly to other fog of war-related fields, 'Art - Occluder Height' and 'Stats - Sight Radius'; the values might be converted to map grid squares or something.

I didn't notice any difference when I changed the value of this field; maybe because I didn't really know what to look for.

Art - Orientation Interpolation [Integer] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}
Movement - Turn Rate [Real] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}

I've read somewhere that units visually turn at different speed than they really turn and that Orientation Interpolation is only a graphical property which controls the turn speed of the model, not the turn speed of the unit itself. Is this true?

Dr Super Good's Unit turning mechanics thread definitely made some things clearer to me, but he didn't mention this anywhere.

Art - Required Bone Names [String List] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}

Some units that can morph have the string 'alternate' in this field: Medivh (Raven Form), Troll Berserker, Demon Hunter (Demon Form), Druid of the Talon (Storm Crow Form), Druid of the Claw (Bear Form) and Tinker (Robo-Goblin).

Combat - Attack 1/2 - Attack Type [Attack Type] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}

What is the purpose of the 'None' attack type and is it used anywhere? It doesn't have its own icon and tooltip and I can't find it among the 'Combat - Damage Bonus Table' fields in Gameplay Constants, but testing reveals that it deals 70% damage to 'Hero' armor, 5% to 'Divine' armor and 100% to all other armor types.

By the way, I know that buildings under construction have the 'Normal' armor type (takes 100% damage from all attack types), which also doesn't have a unique icon and tooltip since it isn't normally seen.

Combat - Death Type [Death Type] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}

I know all there is to know about death types and this question is only marginally related, but why do all creeps with Reincarnation (Centaur Khan, Ancient Sasquatch, Ancient Wendigo) have the 'Can't raise, Does not decay' death type? I know it has something to do with the ability itself.

Editor - Has Tileset Specific Data [Boolean] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}

It's set to False in all units except for Town Hall, Keep and Castle. I think this is supposed to allow/disallow the textures from the MPQs with single-letter names that change some textures (water, cliffs, buildings' foundations, Beastmaster's summons) depending on the tileset. However, it doesn't seem to do anything, since the grass inside the Town Hall's walls doesn't change when I set it to False and Beastmaster's summons change their textures depending on the tileset even thought it's set to False in all 3 of them.

The field is also found in Doodads and Destructibles, but I couldn't get it to work in any of them.

Movement - Type [Movement Type] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}

What is the difference between 'Foot' and 'Horse' movement types? 'Horse' is only used by mounted units and quadrupeds, but many of them use 'Foot' instead.

Knight has 'Horse', yet Archmage has 'Foot'; Keeper of the Groove has 'Horse', but Dryad has 'Foot'; Priestess of the Moon has 'Horse', but Death Knight has 'Foot''; Kodo Beast has 'Horse', yet Riderless Kodo Beast has 'Foot'. It doesn't make any sense.

Pathing - AI Placement Radius [Real] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}

I know this affects how the AI players place their buildings, but I want to know the details. I tried changing this field in standard buildings and repeatedly testing it with the Normal AI; although I noticed some changes, I couldn't really isolate what it does.

This is how the field is used:
0.00 - Farm; item shops; buildings that train only air units; buildings for researching upgrades.
7.00 - Haunted, Entangled and regular Gold Mine.
8.00 - Town Halls.
9.00 - Orc Burrow, Moon Well, altars and unit production buildings.
15.00 - Towers.

Pathing - AI Placement Type [AI Buffer Type] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}

Same as the field above. This is how it's used:
Resource - Haunted, Entangled and regular Gold Mine.
Hall - Town Halls.
Factory - Altars and unit production buildings.
General - Moon Well and towers.
None - Farm; item shops; buildings that train only air units; buildings for researching upgrades.

Pathing - Collision Size [Real] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}

I'm still not exactly sure how this works. Does this affect how the unit moves around other units, how other units manoeuvre around it, or both? Are friendly and enemy units always treated the same?

What is the actual minimal collision (I know max is 200)? Why is setting it to 0 not the same as turning the collision off? What is the difference between turning the collision off and setting the 'Movement - Type' to 'None'?

Sound - Construction [Sound Set] {Buildings}

Most buildings have looping construction sounds in this field, but I didn't notice any difference when I compared them to those in which this field is set to 'None' (Arcane Vault, Orc Burrow and Tomb of Relics). I don't understand the purpose of this field since the 'Stats - Race' field already changes the construction sound. Weirdly enough, Entangled Gold Mine uses Undead Building Construction Loop for some reason.

Sound - Looping Fade In Rate [Integer] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}
Sound - Looping Fade Out Rate [Integer] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}

Changing the values in these fields doesn't seem to do anything.

Both are set to 512 in all units in which the 'Sound - Movement' field is set to anything other than 'None' and in all buildings in which the 'Sound - Construction' field is set to anything other than 'None'.

Sound - Movement [Sound Set] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}

Archmage, Knight, Siege Engine, Flying Machine, Goblin Zeppelin and Draenei Demolisher have looping movement sounds specified in this field.

The sounds were probably meant to be heard while units are moving, but the field doesn't seem to do anything, even though the 'Movement Sounds' box in the game settings is checked.

As far as I can tell, those sounds are determined by the 'UI\SoundInfo\AmbienceSounds.slk'. I also found the sound files in the correct folders inside the War3.mpq, but I still don't get why they don't work.

Maybe it has something to do with this?
Patch 1.27 Notes said:
Disabled ambient sound while a MIDI issue is being resolved

Sound - Random [Sound Set] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}

It's set to 'None' in all units, except for Sheep, Flying Sheep and Amphibious Sheep, which use 'SheepRandomSounds'. The field doesn't seem to do anything, just like all other fields from the Sound category, except for 'Sound - Sound Set'.

Stats - Can Be Built On [Boolean] {Buildings}
Stats - Can Build On [Boolean] {Buildings}

When 'Stats - Can Be Built On' is set to True, the building can only be placed on top of buildings of all players in which the same field is set to False and the 'Stats - Can Build On' field is set to True, even if the construction of the underlying building has not been finished . A building seems to be removed from the game when a second building starts being constructed on top of it. I can't figure out why that doesn't happen with standard Gold Mines; when a Haunted/Entangled Gold Mine is destroyed (by attacks, not when it's depleted) or its construction is cancelled, the underlying Gold Mine is still there and can be Haunted/Entangled again.

Stats - Point Value [Integer] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}

Does this do anything other than allowing manipulation with triggers ('Unit - Point value of Unit' and 'Unit - Point value of Unit-type')? I vaguely remember someone mentioning that it has something to do with the score screen points.

I never really paid attention to the score screen and I have no idea how those points work. Are those points received by the player who produces the unit or by the player that kills the unit?

Stats - Race [Unit Race] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}

This field defines:
  • in which race folder the unit is placed in the Unit Editor;
  • what player is the unit's default owner when the unit is placed from the 'Tool Palette';
  • which indicator of area target abilities is used;
  • which warning sounds are used ('can't build there', 'not enough gold/lumber/mana', 'research complete', 'gold mine is running low'and 'gold mine has collapsed');
  • which construction sound is used;
  • which Rally Point icon is used;
  • which burning sound and fire effects are played on damaged mechanical units;

I think some abilities only work on units of certain races, but I didn't really test that. This is all that I know so far:

Creep - When the unit is selected, its level is shown under the unit's name. Level 6+ units have a limited magic resistance against enemy spells (like Heroes). Negative spells cast on a 6+ Creep last a shorter duration than if cast on a lower level Creep. There are some spells and items that do not work on Creeps level 6 and above.

Critter - If the unit is owned by the 'Neutral Passive' player, its responses ('Sound - Unit Sound Set') can be heard by all players and it detonates in a large, bloody explosion when the player clicks on it in rapid succession a sufficient number of times.

Demon - The unit is considered as Undead when targeted by some abilities (Holy Light and Death Coil) even if it doesn't have the 'Undead' classification. Also prevents the unit from being Devoured.

Human - The worker builds from the outside of buildings by repairing them into existence.

Night Elf - The worker is removed from the game when it finishes constructing a building that has the 'Ancient' classification in 'Stats - Unit Classification'. If the Ancient is destroyed while being constructed, the Night Elf worker is also killed.

Undead - Prevents the unit from dispelling blight with abilities such as Dispel Magic, Disenchant and Detonate. Workers build without maintaining buildings under construction; summoned buildings continue construction on their own.

I have no idea if other races (Commoner, Naga, None, Other) have any special characteristics.

This field supposedly also determines which build ability the worker has:
ANbu - Build (Neutral)
AHbu - Build (Human)
AObu - Build (Orc)
AEbu - Build (Night Elf)
AUbu - Build (Undead)
AGbu - Build (Naga)

Orc, Naga and Neutral build appear to be completely the same. I don't know if all of them are used or do all workers that don't belong to the main 4 races also use the 'Build (Orc)', similar to how 'Afir' aka 'On Fire' ability from the 'Other' folder is unused and 'Afih' aka 'On Fire (Human)' is used instead in all mechanical units that don't belong to the main 4 races .

From their names I can assume which race has which build ability, but what about None, Commoner, Demon, etc.? I made a trigger that checks if the selected unit has one of the build abilities and if so, shows a floating text above it, but they are all considered to be the same; for example if I check if a unit has 'AHbu' aka 'Build (Human)', the floating text should only appear when I select workers from the Human folder (Peasants and Blood Elf Workers), but it also appears when I select any other worker unit (Acolyte, Wisp, Peon, Mur'gul Slave, Draenei Laborer). So, is there a way to check which build ability is used by which race?

Stats - Unit Classification [Unit Classifications] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}

What do these classifications do?

Town Hall - I know this marks the unit as a destination point for teleportation items (Scroll of Town Portal, Staff of Preservation, Staff of Sanctuary), but does it do anything else? (AI recognition? melee map rules?)

Tree - Unused.

Walkable - Used by Way Gate, Goblin Land Mine and Circles of Power.

Here are the other classifications, if anyone has anything to add:

Ancient - Worker who builds from the inside of the building (worker that is not Human or Undead) is hidden (unselectable) when it starts constructing a unit with this classification, until the construction is finished, cancelled or stopped. If the 'Stats - Race' field of the worker is set to 'Night Elf', the worker is also removed from the game when it finishes constructing units with the 'Ancient' classification but not when it finishes constructing other units that don't have this classification. If a unit with this classification is destroyed while a Night Elf worker is constructing it, the worker will also be killed. If a Night Elf worker is creating a non-Ancient unit, it will survive if the unit is destroyed while it is being constructed.

Also serves as a filtering classification for some abilities.

Giant - Unused. It shows a text 'Giant' under the unit's name in the same way that other classifications are shown (Mechanical, Undead and Tauren). This text can be changed (Advanced > Game Interface > Text - Unit Classification - Giant) to create a new custom classification that is capable of being manipulated with triggers.

Mechanical - Gives the unit one of the 'On Fire' abilities, depending on the 'Stats - Race' field. 'On Fire' abilities play a burning sound at the location of the unit If the unit is heavily damaged and add fire effects on it if the correct attachment points are present in the model.

Also serves as a filtering classification for most spells and abilities.

Neutral - Makes the position of the building to be considered as explored to all players from the start of the game and shows the Neutral Building minimap icon. This only works when the building is owned by the 'Neutral Passive' or 'Neutral Hostile' player.

Suicidal - Prevents the unit from being able to be loaded into a transport (Goblin Sapper has this classification to prevent bomb dropping from Zeppelins).

Summoned - Hides the Creep Indicator (green, orange or red circle) on the minimap for the unit.

Tauren - Spirit Walker's Ancestral Spirit ability can only revive units that have this classification.

Undead - Another filter for some spells and abilities (Death Coil, Holy Light, Dark Ritual) which sadly can't be changed in data fields of abilities.

Ward - Hides all buttons from the unit's command card and serves as a filtering classification for most spells and abilities.

Worker - Shows the Idle Worker Icon at the bottom left corner of the screen when the unit's current order is Stop. The unit can be selected by clicking the same icon. Disables auto attack; doesn't attack enemy units that attack it, except for enemy units that also have the Worker classification.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Art - Animation - Run Speed [Real] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}
Art - Animation - Walk Speed [Real] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}
Sounds about right although taking the average between them is mechanically strange. Perhaps the actual value of each field is the speed at which the animation plays at 1:1 rate for scaling purposes?
Art - Elevation - Sample Points [Integer] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}
This is the number of sample points used to determine tilt on rough terrain. Units with 0 or 1 sample points cannot tilt if I recall. Flying units use 2 sample points so they can tilt their nose up or down when changing altitude. Units with 3 or 4 sample points generally are physically large so need to average out terrain roughness. One can guess there are performance implications for large values by the name of the field, more sample points means more calculations per frame.

Units that walk bipedally should use no sample points. This is because the way bipedal walking works physically requires the user to be kept upright independent of terrain slope.
Art - Elevation - Sample Radius [Real] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}
Possible goes with Sample Points field. It could define the radius from unit origin at which the sample points are positioned. A unit with 0 or 1 would have only the origin sampled. A unit with 2 would have a sample offset in front and behind of the origin by the sample radius allowing it to tilt back and forwards with terrain. A unit with 3 likely has them in a triangle pointing forward. Etc.

Bigger physical models would need a bigger sample radius to avoid having parts of the model appear to float off the terrain. For quadpedal units, eg a turtle, it should probably be placed roughly around the stand animation position of their legs. For flat machines like siege engine it possibly should be placed at the distance of the wheels.
Art - Fog of War - Sample Radius [Real] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}
Honestly I am not sure. It either is the width of the occlusion height, or it is related to at what point a unit becomes visible when entering fog of war.
Art - Orientation Interpolation [Integer] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}
Movement - Turn Rate [Real] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}
Orientation Interpolation does effect unit rotation, measurable by triggers. It is not just visual.

Turn rate is in radians per internal frame of which one can use triggers to measure that there is 1/0.03 per game second. There is a maximum value of 0.2 for actual rotation speed but higher values of this field effect the results of average turn speed for some values of the orientation interpolation field.

How orientation interpolation works I do not know for sure. It governs how unit rotation rate accelerates/decelerates but that is pretty much it.
Movement - Type [Movement Type] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}
Possibly left in from early development days of RoC. For example horse units might have had some movement mechanic limitations that foot did not suffer from. As far as I am aware there is no difference now. That said do check the actual movement mechanics as I never have. For example maybe foot and horse have different cornering behaviours, handle unit on unit collisions differently or even prefer to take different paths during path finding.

Archmage being foot might support the theory that there is no difference anymore. Being a hero it might have been foot originally during RoC development, like Jaina is (*surprise*), but they later gave him a mount. Since there was no longer a mechanical difference they did not bother changing the field.
Pathing - AI Placement Radius [Real] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}
Possibly it is a flag field of some sorts with each integer having a different meaning? Otherwise it is also possible that it is the number of cells (or tiles?) of exclusion zone it will leave around the building when placing the building. In other words related to leaving space between buildings.
Pathing - Collision Size [Real] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}
WC3 has no real move around other units mechanics. Instead when a unit hits into another unit both units come to a stop and wait for the next pathing update.

No collision is a state in which units will completely ignore collision when moving around, mostly enabled by trigger. They can walk through walls and over unpathable areas. This is different from a collision radius of 0 as the unit might not produce collisions with other units but it will still obey path finding rules and collide with walls. Wind walk turns off unit on unit collisions when active allowing the unit to walk through other units.
Sound - Construction [Sound Set] {Buildings}
So it does not change the initial foundation construction sound? In which case it might just be a left over from early RoC development.
Sound - Movement [Sound Set] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}
Again possibly left over from early development days. Also worth waiting until 1.30 to retest the sound files as the Warcraft III sound engine is not fully functional in 1.29. Yes in 1.30 MIDI sounds work again as they have finished migrating to the new sound engine.
Sound - Random [Sound Set] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}
I am guessing the unit is meant to randomly play that sound. Eg like in real life how you hear the sound of sheep bleating when you walk past a field with sheep in it. Might be broken currently due to lack of MIDI support, try again with 1.30 which has MIDI support working again.
Stats - Can Be Built On [Boolean] {Buildings}
Stats - Can Build On [Boolean] {Buildings}
Gold mines might have hard coded logic. Not everything in the editor that can be customized will work in a fully custom way. That said try giving the placed on buildings the gold mine ability, possibly it interacts with that to prevent removal on death.
Stats - Point Value [Integer] {Units, Buildings, Heroes}
As a rough guess it would be amount of points given to the killing player when the unit dies. You can probably test this quite easily by placing some enemy footmen on a map and then destroying them with whosyourdaddy cheat.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
A building seems to be removed from the game when a second building starts being constructed on top of it. I can't figure out why that doesn't happen with standard Gold Mines
Hardcoded mechanics. When you haunt or entangle a gold mine, a new unit is created and the underlying Gold Mine is hidden from the game. In some experiments, I gave the gold mine the Reincarnation passive. When depleted, the regular gold mine would resurrect (though still with 0 gold), but if it had been entangled or haunted, it would disappear and not respawn. My conclusion is hardcoded stuff's at work here.

Sound - Movement
Until your post I was convinced sounds were being played when units moved. I remember you were able to hear footsteps of large units if you got the camera close to them. In the same fashion, you could also hear Kodo Beasts beating their drums.

Town Hall (...) does it do anything else? (AI recognition? melee map rules?)
I know Town Halls and Great Halls need to be a certain distance from a gold mine. Seeing as how the Tree of Life and the Necropolis don't abide this rule, I'm guessing this is unrelated to the Town Hall classification. It might be configured in Gameplay Constants instead.

Undead - Another filter for some spells and abilities (Death Coil, Holy Light, Dark Ritual) which sadly can't be changed in data fields of abilities.
Undead buildings also have this classification, which makes them a valid target for Acolyte — Unsummon.

About Point Value. It seems to be 100 for all units. I'm not sure, but it could be the same thing as the Custom Value that can be set through triggers?

Last edited:
I know Town Halls and Great Halls need to be a certain distance from a gold mine. Seeing as how the Tree of Life and the Necropolis don't abide this rule, I'm guessing this is unrelated to the Town Hall classification. It might be configured in Gameplay Constants instead.
Return Gold and Lumber ability has something related to that. Not sure which field though.

Level 21
Perhaps the actual value of each field is the speed at which the animation plays at 1:1 rate for scaling purposes?
How would I test that?

I know that there is no correlation between the length of the 'Walk' animation and Run/Walk Speed.

The smaller the average between Walk Speed and Run Speed is, the faster the 'Walk' animation is played.

I also noticed that as the difference between Run Speed and Walk Speed increases, the speed at which the model performs its 'Walk' animation also increases. It doesn't matter which of them is the minuend and which is the subtrahend (I'm not sure if I'm using these words correctly); e.g. WalkSpeed=250 RunSpeed=500 appears to be the same as WalkSpeed=500 RunSpeed=250.
This is the number of sample points used to determine tilt on rough terrain. Units with 0 or 1 sample points cannot tilt if I recall. Flying units use 2 sample points so they can tilt their nose up or down when changing altitude. Units with 3 or 4 sample points generally are physically large so need to average out terrain roughness. One can guess there are performance implications for large values by the name of the field, more sample points means more calculations per frame.

Units that walk bipedally should use no sample points. This is because the way bipedal walking works physically requires the user to be kept upright independent of terrain slope.

Possible goes with Sample Points field. It could define the radius from unit origin at which the sample points are positioned. A unit with 0 or 1 would have only the origin sampled. A unit with 2 would have a sample offset in front and behind of the origin by the sample radius allowing it to tilt back and forwards with terrain. A unit with 3 likely has them in a triangle pointing forward. Etc.

Bigger physical models would need a bigger sample radius to avoid having parts of the model appear to float off the terrain. For quadpedal units, eg a turtle, it should probably be placed roughly around the stand animation position of their legs. For flat machines like siege engine it possibly should be placed at the distance of the wheels.
That makes sense, but do these fields somehow influence Maximum Pitch and Roll Angles or vice versa?
Orientation Interpolation does effect unit rotation, measurable by triggers. It is not just visual.

Turn rate is in radians per internal frame of which one can use triggers to measure that there is 1/0.03 per game second. There is a maximum value of 0.2 for actual rotation speed but higher values of this field effect the results of average turn speed for some values of the orientation interpolation field.

How orientation interpolation works I do not know for sure. It governs how unit rotation rate accelerates/decelerates but that is pretty much it.
Thanks for the confirmation.
Possibly left in from early development days of RoC. For example horse units might have had some movement mechanic limitations that foot did not suffer from. As far as I am aware there is no difference now. That said do check the actual movement mechanics as I never have. For example maybe foot and horse have different cornering behaviours, handle unit on unit collisions differently or even prefer to take different paths during path finding.

Archmage being foot might support the theory that there is no difference anymore. Being a hero it might have been foot originally during RoC development, like Jaina is (*surprise*), but they later gave him a mount. Since there was no longer a mechanical difference they did not bother changing the field.
You're probably right; I tested the movement types thoroughly and never noticed any differences between those two.
Possibly it is a flag field of some sorts with each integer having a different meaning? Otherwise it is also possible that it is the number of cells (or tiles?) of exclusion zone it will leave around the building when placing the building. In other words related to leaving space between buildings.
Changing the AI Placement fields affects the distance and position of the buildings, but it doesn't really work in a way I expected and I can't figure out any rules from the pattern of odd AI behavior.

Sometimes the changes I made didn't do anything. Tinkering with different values in these fields in one building often changed how some other, unrelated type of building was built, e.g. the AI players would build dozens of Watch Towers around their expansions, even though I made no changes to them.
No collision is a state in which units will completely ignore collision when moving around, mostly enabled by trigger. They can walk through walls and over unpathable areas. This is different from a collision radius of 0 as the unit might not produce collisions with other units but it will still obey path finding rules and collide with walls. Wind walk turns off unit on unit collisions when active allowing the unit to walk through other units.
Spellbound mentioned that it's possible that there are separate collision layers for units, buildings, items, destructibles, etc.
So it does not change the initial foundation construction sound?
No, but 'Stats - Race' field does.
Also worth waiting until 1.30 to retest the sound files as the Warcraft III sound engine is not fully functional in 1.29. Yes in 1.30 MIDI sounds work again as they have finished migrating to the new sound engine.
That's interesting; do you know anything else about the MIDI sounds? I made a new thread for that.
Gold mines might have hard coded logic. Not everything in the editor that can be customized will work in a fully custom way. That said try giving the placed on buildings the gold mine ability, possibly it interacts with that to prevent removal on death.
I already tried that, but it didn't change anything.

Strangely enough, I accidentally discovered that all pre-placed units that have the Blighted Gold Mine Ability get replaced by Haunted Gold Mines when I test the map.
As a rough guess it would be amount of points given to the killing player when the unit dies. You can probably test this quite easily by placing some enemy footmen on a map and then destroying them with whosyourdaddy cheat.
Okay, I finally decided to test this for the first time ever. Owning a Footman increases the player's Unit Score by 135 points and killing an enemy Footman gives the same amount of points.

Owning/killing a Knight gives 305 points to the owner/killer. (Losing units does not affect the Unit Score of the owner).

What makes Knights yield more points than Footmen? I tried changing the Knight's point value, level, food cost and priority, but they're still worth 305 points.

Score Screen is overall really confusing (Why does it say 12 in the 'Largest Army' column when there were only 5 units on the entire map?).
Hardcoded mechanics. When you haunt or entangle a gold mine, a new unit is created and the underlying Gold Mine is hidden from the game. In some experiments, I gave the gold mine the Reincarnation passive. When depleted, the regular gold mine would resurrect (though still with 0 gold), but if it had been entangled or haunted, it would disappear and not respawn. My conclusion is hardcoded stuff's at work here.
So it's hardcoded? Okay then, I guess that one is solved.
Until your post I was convinced sounds were being played when units moved. I remember you were able to hear footsteps of large units if you got the camera close to them. In the same fashion, you could also hear Kodo Beasts beating their drums.
Deep Footstep sounds (used by Tauren, Abomination, Crypt Lord, Mountain Giant, Ancients, Kodo Beast, Thunder Lizards, Pit Lord, Eredar, Infernal, Golems, Ogres, Mammoths, Sea Giants), Fiend Step sounds (used by Crypt Fiend, Nerubians, Spiders) and Kodo Drums are all Event Objects. That means they are a part of the model itself and cannot be changed in the Object Editor (the same goes for blood splats, uber splats, death sounds and footprints).
I know Town Halls and Great Halls need to be a certain distance from a gold mine.
Return Gold and Lumber ability has something related to that. Not sure which field though.
Yes, that has nothing to do with the 'Town Hall' classification; buildings that have either 'Return Gold' or 'Return Gold and Lumber' must be placed farther away from a Gold Mine.
Undead buildings also have this classification, which makes them a valid target for Acolyte — Unsummon.
Thanks for pointing this out, but I actually think that only buildings in which 'Stats - Race' is set to 'Undead' can be Unsummoned; the 'Undead' classification is irrelevant.
About Point Value. It seems to be 100 for all units. I'm not sure, but it could be the same thing as the Custom Value that can be set through triggers?
Yes, it's 100 in all units, but I don't have any experience with those triggers.

Jampion

Code Reviewer
Level 15
Spellbound mentioned that it's possible that there are separate collision layers for units, buildings, items, destructibles, etc.
A Blademaster used to not be able to walk through items or harvesting workers while in windwalk. It's probably the same for all units with collision turned off. The item problem was fixed in one of the recent patches, but it seems they just removed item collision. You can now stack multiple items on top of each other, but at least they no longer block the blademaster.

Okay, I finally decided to test this for the first time ever. Owning a Footman increases the player's Unit Score by 135 points and killing an enemy Footman gives the same amount of points.

Owning/killing a Knight gives 305 points to the owner/killer. (Losing units does not affect the Unit Score of the owner).

What makes Knights yield more points than Footmen? I tried changing the Knight's point value, level, food cost and priority, but they're still worth 305 points.
A Footman is 135 gold, a knight is 245 gold and 60 lumber, so 245 + 60 = 305. The score you get for a unit in the score screen is its gold and lumber cost.

Level 12
Suicidal - Prevents the unit from being able to be loaded into a transport (Goblin Sapper has this classification to prevent bomb dropping from Zeppelins).
I think it also interacts with the "kaboom!" ability. Iirc units won't automatically blow themselves up even if you have the ability on autocast unless they have the suicide classification.

Level 21
Holy cow... And here I thought I was an Object Editor guru... This thread tells me that's not the case. xD

Hoping you get some answers.
I'm also hoping the long post won't scare away the real Object Editor gurus.
I think it also interacts with the "kaboom!" ability. Iirc units won't automatically blow themselves up even if you have the ability on autocast unless they have the suicide classification.
I don't think so; custom Sappers without the 'Suicidal' classification behaved the same as standard Sappers in my tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.