• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

My Warcraft III keeps on restarting my PC...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hi again, is there a way to prevent my computer from restarting every instance, it restarts when I run HD programs like Warcraft III, Starcraft II, Tiberium Wars and more.

My video card is Intel(R) 82856G - 64MB

Level 21
I have never had this problem and I wouldn't know how to help you out.
Sorry man.

Wish I could help out, but you know.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
64 MB should be ample for WC3, read its system requirements. Try running it at the lowest possible resolution with the lowest possible graphic settings just to make sure memory capacity is not the problem and seeing if you BSoD (restart).

There is no way that graphic card will run SC2, its like saying can my NES run wii games. I think SC2 states it needs atleast 256 MB (or was it 128 MB?) of graphic RAM to run as well as a near fully DX9 complient graphic card. A machine that can not run WC3 will not possibly run a game 6 years more advanced.

Posting the rest of your hardware specs would also help so we can see if anything else can be the problem. Posting what BSoD (Blue Screen of Death signifying an unrecoverable error) error causes the spontanious restart would also help.

Currently eithor you are having memory problems (running W7 on less than 1 GB of RAM or playing at 1080p HD resolution levels or higher on only 64 MB of graphic RAM) or your intel graphic drivers are buggy.

Intel is notorious for poor graphic cards. They make great processors I must admit and I have heard their new graphic cards are better but in the past the internet has been flooded with intel intigrated graphic driver incompatibility problems. I advise checking the intel site if they have an updated driver version for your system and installing it if so as there is a extreemly high chance that doing that will fix your problem.

Level 15
Good lord, are you trying to run Starcraft 2 on a Pentium 4 Northwood? I mean it should have no problem with Wc3, but Sc2? You don't need a new GPU, you need an entirely new computer. If what I am reading is correct, you may not even have an AGP slot, and 2GB of ram max? *shivers*

Anyways, to the question, have you tried running Wc3 in DX7 compatibility mode? Intel Extreme 2's are notorious for crapping out in DX8.

And to give us your full hardware list, run this: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Level 9
One question, is running these games in windowed mode will prevent the restart? Because if have not mistaken, the resolution of these games is the cause of the system restarting.

Anyway my PC's system information is in the screen-shot below.

Attachments

• System Properties.JPG
    System Properties.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 819

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Update the graphic drivers. Resolution should not be the problem unless you are running it at a crazy 1960*1080 pixels.

As mentioned, intel chipsets are notorious for poor graphic compatibility, so eithor an update would help or running the game in an older more compatible mode.

Level 13
I think it's the 64MB thingy... Is there an appropriate video resolution for this?

WTF THAT IS MY VIDEO thing...... and i had same problem... for me the computer culd not take so much textures from warcraft try to perform a full scan of your antivirus on hole pc and try beafore entering a game try to refresh the screen at least 5 times.
for me it worked ^^

Level 15
One question, is running these games in windowed mode will prevent the restart? Because if have not mistaken, the resolution of these games is the cause of the system restarting.

Anyway my PC's system information is in the screen-shot below.

Run CPU-Z and screenshot that, but from what I could see from the HP specs, you have an AGP slot. But you really should just get an entirely new computer.

64MB Video??? I know not everyone's with GBs of video, im not but 64MB video card !? It's cause of it. Restarts, crashes happen when it runs out of memory. How does it even run sc2? An old PC I have 128MB video card didnt wanna install SC2 as Setup detected too low card..

This post is a trainwreck, and you should feel bad. A 64mb GPU will run Wc3 fine, I have personally ran it on an ATI Rage 128 Pro, and that only has 32mb, probably still more powerful though >.> .

WTF THAT IS MY VIDEO thing...... and i had same problem... for me the computer culd not take so much textures from warcraft try to perform a full scan of your antivirus on hole pc and try beafore entering a game try to refresh the screen at least 5 times.
for me it worked ^^

I don't think it's a virus, and refreshing the screen? Mehhhhhh, probably won't work but couldn't hurt.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Viruses generally do not attack graphic memory as far as I am aware...

WC3 will run perfectly on 64 MB of graphic memory, unless...
1. You are running at some insane resolution (like 1080p HD).
2. You are running vista / 7 in aero mode.
3. Your graphic drivers are a piece of shit, which intel's generally are, atleast with that age of card.

Just stop for 1 second and pick up the box.... Does it say "recommended, 512 MB graphic card" or something stupid?
It says, minimum - 8 MB graphic card (READ THAT, 8 MB ONLY) followed by some voodo and a TNT graphic card (both these brands no longer exist).

For mac, it advises 16 MB (not 128 MB).

For recommended play it advises 32 MB (not 64, 128, 256 or 512 MB, just 32 MB).

Thus, unless he is running other features to consume graphic memory like funky desktops that vista and 7 use or running at a totally insane resolution, there is no way his graphic card does not have enough memory.

Level 9
Finally.... My problem is solved... I tried running the games especially Warcraft III in windowed mode and my PC doesn't restart anymore.... Anyway thanks for your time...:grin::grin::grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.