• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My SC2 Map (heroes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
So this is my map, it is a work in progress and I'd like to tell everyone what I've discovered so far.

You can edit a units energy/mana/regen/ all these stats directly, with the data editor, and it is dynamic as well.

There is so much power behind this data editor... Seriously.

In this map I've created a hero, with a "Leap" ability where he jumps into the air. I've also learned how to create custom damage types, and define custom attack types (the zealot attacks in Bursts, where he attacks 4 times within 0.5 seconds, but the attack itself has a 1.1 second cooldown (not possible in WC3))

There is also the ability to show a bar on the unit, can be defined with anything (shown in the second screenshot, the bar right below the XP bar).

I'm also the first (to my knowledge) to create a Lava tileset, since it wasn't released in any maps that SC2 came with.

Also, yes water works on a HEIGHT value, not a cliff level, it can be like 10, 20, 30, any height (think of it as a plane that can have it's Z coordinate adjusted).

Creating custom abilities is really powerful (I don't tihnk there will be triggered abilities anymore, everything will be done with the data editor - it's that powerful), but right now without a Galaxy Editor it is extremely time consuming. (You have to manually traverse like 4 different files).

Attachments

• Screenshot001.Jpg
    Screenshot001.Jpg
    617 KB · Views: 902
  • Screenshot002.Jpg
    Screenshot002.Jpg
    592.6 KB · Views: 1,314
Level 12
Very impressive so far, so no triggers needed for the leap ability at all?

I dunno, think you'll still need triggers here and there for quite a few spells, especially ones with secondary effects etc.

Level 9
Very impressive so far, so no triggers needed for the leap ability at all?

I dunno, think you'll still need triggers here and there for quite a few spells, especially ones with secondary effects etc.

No, no triggers needed (most natives for SC2 haven't been released, it's extremely hard to make anything with triggers anyway).

I really don't think you can think of a spell that could only be done with triggers (unless it displays some information on the screen or interacts with the UI in some way) All interactions with the game engine can be done in the data editor -> The data editor has support for things that use to only be able to be done in the trigger editor: unit groups, timers, etc.

Level 13
Yeah, indeed, people are already editing the data. Hell, I just got done playing a Contra map for Starcraft II (with hero system).

Level 9
hiho,

i have got a question about the data editor and abilities...
is it possible to make an ability damage dependent on variables and attributes?

Robbepop

Attributes, yes. Variables, no. (as far as I know)

I'm curious now is you can make custom interfaces and is it possible to create extra resources except the vespen and cristals with data editor...

Right now you can't really create custom interfaces, but there is a lot of possibilities I think with triggers. For example, it is possible to display an image on-screen via triggers. And it isn't like the Image widgets in WC3, it's actual on-UI displayed.

I think its too bright to be lava imo.

This is the actual "lava".

Screenshot-1.jpg

Level 22
Omg how do you make these things without the editor :) nice. Renamed a lava tileset to jungle tilseset and replaced it in the map data? Can you do a snow&ice map as well? Im looking forward to your map, or I wanna make myself a lava version of a map, to play melee on lava.

Coupla questions, can you give units custom tags?

like mechanical? but your own custom ones?

How does a lava rise trigger work?

Can you specify multiple projectile launch points?

can you stagger missile lauches from multiple points? e.g. a tank firs a shell from one barrel and a half second later fires one from the other. (as part of a burst attack?)

Is is as uber as we have imagined???

Level 9
Coupla questions, can you give units custom tags?

like mechanical? but your own custom ones?

Yes, and yes.

How does a lava rise trigger work?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEebg_puDIs Watch at around 1:51, I can't do it myself because it has to be done via triggers, with natives that haven't been released yet. I'll post a screenshot a little later of what it looks like when you rise the lava too high.

Can you specify multiple projectile launch points?

can you stagger missile lauches from multiple points? e.g. a tank firs a shell from one barrel and a half second later fires one from the other. (as part of a burst attack?)

Yes.

Is is as uber as we have imagined???

Depends on how the Galaxy Editor will handle these things. The capabilities are pretty crazy though.

Level 9
I'm pretty sure it won't be for a bit longer, Blizzard announced a SC2 video contest, which I'd seriously doubt they'd release the editor in the middle of it since it would make it a bit unfair to people who have already started work on their videos and realize all their work up until the editor's release is meaningless due to the vast capabilities of the editor, so probably expect it sometime shortly after the contest ends.

Level 19
He's referring to people who have shitty comps and/or shitty internets, by the way can you link me the place you found that statement about the editor's release?

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=23767157319

Q. Are you guys still working on the Map Editor; and if so, what features are you planning to incorporate into the final piece?

A. Yes. We're still working on the Map Editor and currently working on the publishing system. We intend to release an early version of the editor during the beta so the map-making community can get a head start creating their own maps. This is going to be a stretch for us to pull off, but our hope is to get it out before the end of April.

Q. Can we expect to have new maps or the map editor in the beta soon?

A. Yes. We will be adding a few new maps as we continue to release patches including a few 3v3 and 4v4 maps. Additionally, we are hoping to release the map editor to the community sometime in April.

Level 22
But how do you change the terrain completetly from Lost Temple's jungle/grass to lava ? it looks like war3's change tileselt e.g from grass to snow terrain, where all say grass is converted to its respective snow tiles.

If you won't release a melee version of that lava map, I want to do it myself to play on lava :)

Level 9
But how do you change the terrain completetly from Lost Temple's jungle/grass to lava ? it looks like war3's change tileselt e.g from grass to snow terrain, where all say grass is converted to its respective snow tiles.

This.

<Catalog>
<CTerrainTex id="BelShirDirtLight">
<Texture value="Assets\Textures\Redstone_Dirt.dds"/>
<EditorIcon value="Assets\Textures\ui-editoricon-Redstone_Dirt.dds"/>
<Normalmap value="Assets\Textures\Redstone_DirtNormal.dds"/>
<DoodadEntry Model="RockMixRedstone" Probability="0.100000" RandomRotation="1" PlacementRadius="1.000000"/>
</CTerrainTex>
<CTerrainTex id="BelShirDirtDark">
<Texture value="Assets\Textures\Redstone_Rocky_Dirt.dds"/>
<EditorIcon value="Assets\Textures\ui-editoricon-Redstone_Rocky_Dirt.dds"/>
<Normalmap value="Assets\Textures\Redstone_Rocky_DirtNormal.dds"/>
<DoodadEntry Model="RockMixRedstone" Probability="0.100000" RandomRotation="1" PlacementRadius="1.000000"/>
</CTerrainTex>
<CTerrainTex id="BelShirBrush">
<Texture value="Assets\Textures\Redstone_Rough.dds"/>
<EditorIcon value="Assets\Textures\ui-editoricon-Redstone_Rough.dds"/>
<Normalmap value="Assets\Textures\Redstone_RoughNormal.dds"/>
</CTerrainTex>
<CTerrainTex id="BelShirBricksSmall">
<Texture value="Assets\Textures\Redstone_Fossils.dds"/>
<EditorIcon value="Assets\Textures\ui-editoricon-Redstone_Fossils.dds"/>
<Normalmap value="Assets\Textures\Redstone_FossilsNormal.dds"/>
</CTerrainTex>
<CTerrainTex id="BelShirSmallTiles">
<Texture value="Assets\Textures\Redstone_Mud.dds"/>
<EditorIcon value="Assets\Textures\ui-editoricon-Redstone_Mud.dds"/>
<Normalmap value="Assets\Textures\Redstone_MudNormal.dds"/>
</CTerrainTex>
<CTerrainTex id="BelShirBricksLarge">
<Texture value="Assets\Textures\Redstone_Panels.dds"/>
<EditorIcon value="Assets\Textures\ui-editoricon-Redstone_Panels.dds"/>
<Normalmap value="Assets\Textures\Redstone_PanelsNormal.dds"/>
</CTerrainTex>
<CTerrainTex id="BelShirGrassLight">
<Texture value="Assets\Textures\Redstone_Lava_Cracks.dds"/>
<EditorIcon value="Assets\Textures\ui-editoricon-Redstone_Lava_Cracks.dds"/>
<Normalmap value="Assets\Textures\Redstone_Lava_CracksNormal.dds"/>
</CTerrainTex>
<CTerrainTex id="BelShirGrassDark">
<Texture value="Assets\Textures\Redstone_Lava_Cracks.dds"/>
<EditorIcon value="Assets\Textures\ui-editoricon-Redstone_Lava_Cracks.dds"/>
<Normalmap value="Assets\Textures\Redstone_Lava_CracksNormal.dds"/>
</CTerrainTex>
</Catalog>

Level 22
Ok but how exactly? I used Ladik's MPQ editor to open the LT map, deleted the TerrainTextData.xml in Base.SC2data folder of the map and imported the edited xml file where I pasted the script above. When I started a melee game the terrain is the same, grass, water, not lava.

In the mean time I edited the LT minimap for a lava version, use it if you want.

Attachments

• Minimap.tga
    43.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Level 22
You dont even have rep and while adding the script in TerranTextData didnt work, yours Alevice changed the terrain! Well here is your first rep, I also +rep overload because he showed in that script which tile best corresponds to the Redstone ones, so I replaced them that way.

Last edited:
Level 22
Yeah, thanks but I looked through the files and found it myself. 3 questions:

Now 3 things
1) I want to get rid of the green doodads and destructibles /trees, bushes/ that dont fit (yeah Show pic above) but w/o removing minerals and geysers
2) change the name of the map
3) add a loading screen (I already added a loading.jpg in Assets\Textures but that's not enough, doesnt load a pic)

Level 3
1) I want to get rid of the green doodads and destructibles /trees, bushes/ that dont fit (yeah Show pic above) but w/o removing minerals and geysers
Look at the Objects file (it's a XML).
Some of them are in t3FluffDoodads, but since it's a binary file it's hardcore to edit it.

2) change the name of the map
Look at the GameStrings.txt file

3) add a loading screen (I already added a loading.jpg in Assets\Textures but that's not enough, doesnt load a pic)
Open the MapInfo file with a text editor and you will see the path of the file. something like Assets\Textures\loading-xil.dds
Just rename your file like it. (Or change it but since it's binary it's quite complicated)

Level 2
I'm quite surpriseed that you failed to mention that doodads can be removed with MWE already. Loading screen too, I guess

Level 3
pls some create youtube movie whit full instruction how i can do all of these things
i mean how i can work whit data editor how i can open MPQ file or were i can find MPQ and all of these thing which noobs like me dont know
pls do this for me

Level 2
Well, you oguht to check to learn how to use the following:

WinMPQ or ladik's mpq editor, so you can open sm2a and sc2data files
A decent xml ediotr cthat can open all the game data files
Decent knowledge of XML
And tons of trial and error. :)

Level 22
Look at the Objects file (it's a XML).
Some of them are in t3FluffDoodads, but since it's a binary file it's hardcore to edit it.

Look at the GameStrings.txt file

Open the MapInfo file with a text editor and you will see the path of the file. something like Assets\Textures\loading-xil.dds
Just rename your file like it. (Or change it but since it's binary it's quite complicated)

There used to be grass on this cliff, all I had to do is remove them from Objects file

Last edited:
Level 22
10x maybe i can w8 galaxy editor :)

if you are in beta the galaxy editor should come this month, so you dont have to do such things. I then hope that all the editing a blizzard map file through text critics that some would call 'hacking' will then disappear.

It's like calling how you change an MDX file's textures path, editing the model in notebad to be called 'hacking'. Hacking is launchers, hacking is bypassing unauthorized acces, hacking is an emulator they are working on. The editing of map through Notepad is just edits that you would do either with the editor or in notepad, it's not hacking lol...

Hacking is launchers, hacking is bypassing unauthorized acces, hacking is an emulator they are working on. The editing of map through Notepad is just edits that you would do either with the editor or in notepad, it's not hacking lol...

Hacking is also not going on your friend's Facebook accounts and putting in a stupid status, as so many people think it is. ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.