1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Weave light to take you to your highest hopes - the 6th Special Effect Contest is here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Lead your forces to battle in the 15th Techtree Contest. The call is yours, commander!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Data Editor is NIGHTMARE

Discussion in 'StarCraft II Modding' started by DoOs_101, Jun 26, 2010.

1. DoOs_101

DoOs_101

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    GOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDD!!!!

The data editor is a pain in the ass. I'm learning everything from scratch and F**K there aren't enough descriptions out there to explain everything. For instance, what the hell is a CEFfectPersistent, is that a type of effect, what does it do??!?!?! WHAT THE HELL ARE THE REST OF IT???!?!

Can someone who already masters the Data Editor generously make a Complete Tutorial of the DATA EDITOR explaining in detail the important data types (ones especially for making custom abilities), important fields, restrictions in the data editor, or in general how to effing become comfortable with it ...

http://www.youtube.com/user/StarcraftScientist?blend=2&ob=1#p/u/4/VW-DMbsp4cw

Usually in wc3 I pick any custom abilities and try to understand how it works. But in sc2 tat would be friggit impossible since many of us don't have a feel for it...

2. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    well, i know that damage and other debuffs is from the effects tab
    and basically everything else is in that tab
    but uh, still learning here

3. DoOs_101

DoOs_101

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It would help if someone made an advance spell like in that video and makes a tutorial step-by-step making it work... Cuz I disected that Surge Map and none of it makes sense... Basically my understanding is very weak in terms of the mechanics of effects, behaviors, abilities and other random data types that appears in the list except models and units... Gee I don't even know what the hell is an Actor for but it seems to be something major...

4. Rising Evil

Rising Evil

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Actors are models, sounds, and sfx. They have a field called "Event+" which controls when they're activated.

http://forums.sc2mapster.com/development/tutorials/1047-data-adding-sfx-to-abilities/#p3

My short tutorial on events+ and how to get it to work with an ability.

Edit:

Basically to make a spell, you create a button, create an ability, create and effect, and assign the effect to the ability.

Effects can be "sets" which fire off many effects (like one to damage the caster and one to damage the target). Search Areas are for AoE (like applying a "poison" buff to all enemies in a radius). Create persistents are for having an effect happen repeatably over time (like every 0.5 seconds spawn a unit).