• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Data Editor is NIGHTMARE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
GOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDD!!!!

The data editor is a pain in the ass. I'm learning everything from scratch and F**K there aren't enough descriptions out there to explain everything. For instance, what the hell is a CEFfectPersistent, is that a type of effect, what does it do??!?!?! WHAT THE HELL ARE THE REST OF IT???!?!

Can someone who already masters the Data Editor generously make a Complete Tutorial of the DATA EDITOR explaining in detail the important data types (ones especially for making custom abilities), important fields, restrictions in the data editor, or in general how to effing become comfortable with it ...

http://www.youtube.com/user/StarcraftScientist?blend=2&ob=1#p/u/4/VW-DMbsp4cw

Usually in wc3 I pick any custom abilities and try to understand how it works. But in sc2 tat would be friggit impossible since many of us don't have a feel for it...

Level 12
well, i know that damage and other debuffs is from the effects tab
and basically everything else is in that tab
but uh, still learning here

It would help if someone made an advance spell like in that video and makes a tutorial step-by-step making it work... Cuz I disected that Surge Map and none of it makes sense... Basically my understanding is very weak in terms of the mechanics of effects, behaviors, abilities and other random data types that appears in the list except models and units... Gee I don't even know what the hell is an Actor for but it seems to be something major...

Level 4
Actors are models, sounds, and sfx. They have a field called "Event+" which controls when they're activated.

http://forums.sc2mapster.com/development/tutorials/1047-data-adding-sfx-to-abilities/#p3

My short tutorial on events+ and how to get it to work with an ability.

Edit:

Basically to make a spell, you create a button, create an ability, create and effect, and assign the effect to the ability.

Effects can be "sets" which fire off many effects (like one to damage the caster and one to damage the target). Search Areas are for AoE (like applying a "poison" buff to all enemies in a radius). Create persistents are for having an effect happen repeatably over time (like every 0.5 seconds spawn a unit).

Status
Not open for further replies.