• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Data editor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Does the data editor drive anyone else completely insane? There is way too many options rofl, i can't even figure out how to change somethings model let alone edit abilities and do everything else. Seems a bit overkill if you ask me.

Level 11
It took me a bit to figure out how to do stuff in it, but it is amazing.

But uhh, try just looking at random crap and looking through all the tabs and figuring out how Blizzard did things. Kinda how I figured it out.

Level 10
It is VERY confusing.

BUT!

That is only cuz we don't know how it works. It is set up in a way we don't really have mastery over yet, and no one has the all mighty knowledge to explain it to us peons.

Discovery it is!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Unlike like WC3, everything is based on universal base data. This universal base data in the case of some data types (behaviour for example) is derived by extending an utmost base class with additional fields.

For your maps I advise duplicating all your data and shifting their inhertience so it does not take from any blizzard melee data. You then can remove the dependency of the map on blizzards melee data and as such dramatically optimize map loading as it will not have to parse all that extra data. This is what blizzard has intended us to do, so that custom melee maps and such will not use any SC2 melee data (might share art work) thus load more more efficiently.

Level 4
The data editor is somewhat confusing. However, the amount of power we gain from it being this way is fenomenal. Although it takes longer to make a simple custom unit now, we have so much more customability it makes up for the time lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.