• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

My ORPG "Taurens" (Name is subject to change)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My ORPG "Horde" (Name is subject to change)

Horde

What is "Horde"?:
It's an ORPG more focused on the Horde, the faction of the Trolls, Orc, Tauren, Blood Elves, and the Forsaken. I haven't got a story for this map yet so, refer to "Job Openings" at the bottom of this post if you're interested. The max level is 100 (subject to change).

Systems:
attachment.php

The spell and ability system uses is a combination of upgrades and spellbooks. To learn a spell, you must have a certain number of "talent points" (lumber). You gain talent points every three levels. There are currently 12 spells that I've made so far that are really simple, but effective enough to help you kill anything. Spells uses the trait (attribute) Magic (Intelligence) to determine its damage output. There's also a primary element system. You choose your first element at level 1 and gain a secondary element at level 50. Any spell in those elements have 10% more strength. You also gain a spirit that follows you around at level 10 (subject to change), each with its unique spell that either aids you or harms enemies. Abilities are of a different type of skill that are more magic-ridden oriented. They use the trait Dexterity to determine its damage output. The numbers highlighted in yellow in the description of the spells/abilities are the ones that will be affected by your Dexterity and Magic.

attachment.php

My profession system consists of 4 professions (subject to change) which makes different things ranging from armor to trinkets that will help you. There is leatherworking, blacksmithing, tailoring, and enchanting.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

The quest system is simple, but unique as far as I can think of. You have a quest log that you can summon anytime you want. To gain a quest, you talk to any NPC that has an exclamation mark over its head. A unit appears next to that NPC with the quest in its inventory and an ability that allows you to accept the quest. I'm still working on how you can deny the quest, but still be able to ask for it later.

(I'll have a screenshot of this later).
The Trait (attribute) System is similar to the WC3 system. Power (Strength) gives health-related bonuses and attack damage, Dexterity (Agility) gives armor, attack speed, and the damage output for abilities, and Magic (Intelligence) gives magic (mana) related bonuses and the damage output for spells.

Job Opening(s):
(Any opening in black means that it's been taken)
-Terrainer
-Story Writer = Lord_of_sausage

Feedback and criticism is appreciated. Anything harsh is assumed to have an apology or a heads up in it.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited:
The Terrain needs alot of work, also the model you using for the tauren looks really weird, cool idea though. Only problem with basing an ORPG on one race is that there is little variety in character background.

I'm not much of a terrainer. I could find another model for the Tauren.

Huh, you just gave me a new idea, Trax. Thanks. :D

Level 15
Well, i might be able to write a Background story, just need to know when the time is sat (Like Before the great war, before Orcs came to Kalimdor, whatever), and if there is some kind of evil guy and so... everything else can i handle out myself (i think) :)

I would also llove to see different classes like Warrior, Shaman, Elder, Seer, Spiritualist and so. They should just have different models and attributes :)

Btw, i love taurens

Level 24
Agreed, Lordaeron Summer isn't really ones favorite tileset, but that is only one of the issues with the terrain, for example: Those "leaves tiles" seem very randomly placed in the middle of the camp, where there are no trees nearby. I suggest you use this tile under and near trees. Also, the terrain looks rather flat, some height variation would really solve this matter, it's boring work yes, but worth it once done. There are also some doodad spam here and there, while some places are left entirely empty, it seems. This may sound very negative, but most of the things I posted are mainly minor issues. Below follows a little list of things you can add/fix to improve your terrain:
  • Get rid of the randomly placed tiles and put them in more logical places.
  • Add more (if there even is any at the moment) height variation. Hills, valleys etc.
  • Add more doodads in the more empty places and make some places that are currently flooded with doodads more open. Especially don't overdo it with the shrubs.
For your systems, they seem rather good overall. I think the spell system sounds rather cool, but on the other hand, I've seen similar stuff in other maps. The quest system doesn't seem to be that useful, just use the old way of doing quests, talk to a questgiver, and the quest is put into the quest log, this is simpler and just as effective. The profession system also looks like it has potential, but as mentioned above, it is nothing new, and has been done several times before, trust me.

On the whole, this looks like an average "under-developmen" ORPG, lots of fancy, "cool" systems etc. but don't forget about the simple things such as terrain, gameplay and such. I think this was mentioned before, but yeah, I'll go ahead and tell you this anyways, Taurens are surely a cool race, but they are not big enough a race to cover up an entire big (judging by your map size) ORPG, as there to begin are not that many good Tauren models on the web, but also because just Taurens would be plain boring. For my final words, good luck with the continuation of this project, maybe it'll turn out really great one day, who knows?

Well, i might be able to write a Background story, just need to know when the time is sat (Like Before the great war, before Orcs came to Kalimdor, whatever), and if there is some kind of evil guy and so... everything else can i handle out myself (i think) :)

I would also llove to see different classes like Warrior, Shaman, Elder, Seer, Spiritualist and so. They should just have different models and attributes :)

Btw, i love taurens

The time is set in WoW time. Alliance and Horde are still fighting and living their lives and stuff. The bad guy.............. I can't think of one. If you can, cool.

That's what's different about my map. There's no classes, just races so that there's no item restrictions.

Agreed, Lordaeron Summer isn't really ones favorite tileset, but that is only one of the issues with the terrain, for example: Those "leaves tiles" seem very randomly placed in the middle of the camp, where there are no trees nearby. I suggest you use this tile under and near trees. Also, the terrain looks rather flat, some height variation would really solve this matter, it's boring work yes, but worth it once done. There are also some doodad spam here and there, while some places are left entirely empty, it seems. This may sound very negative, but most of the things I posted are mainly minor issues. Below follows a little list of things you can add/fix to improve your terrain:
  • Get rid of the randomly placed tiles and put them in more logical places.
  • Add more (if there even is any at the moment) height variation. Hills, valleys etc.
  • Add more doodads in the more empty places and make some places that are currently flooded with doodads more open. Especially don't overdo it with the shrubs.
For your systems, they seem rather good overall. I think the spell system sounds rather cool, but on the other hand, I've seen similar stuff in other maps. The quest system doesn't seem to be that useful, just use the old way of doing quests, talk to a questgiver, and the quest is put into the quest log, this is simpler and just as effective. The profession system also looks like it has potential, but as mentioned above, it is nothing new, and has been done several times before, trust me.

On the whole, this looks like an average "under-developmen" ORPG, lots of fancy, "cool" systems etc. but don't forget about the simple things such as terrain, gameplay and such. I think this was mentioned before, but yeah, I'll go ahead and tell you this anyways, Taurens are surely a cool race, but they are not big enough a race to cover up an entire big (judging by your map size) ORPG, as there to begin are not that many good Tauren models on the web, but also because just Taurens would be plain boring. For my final words, good luck with the continuation of this project, maybe it'll turn out really great one day, who knows?

The epitome of a perfect feedback. Thanks. :D

Like I said, I'm not much of a terrainer. The spell and ability system, I know it's not original, but it's the only way I could think of. :p The reason why I went this way for a quest system is because I don't like the fact that all the players have to share the same quest. See it this way, some high level is in the game and the rest is all newbies. The high level does all the work and the newbies do squat, but still gets credit. I don't dig that very much. Yes, the profession system is done before, but meh, better than nothing.

The problem is when you see some of these things being mention in this section of the forums about their maps, they never finish it. I'm determine to finish this map as long as it takes. Yes, basing the map on one race is a little boring, that's why I decided to change it to be more based on the Horde instead of the Taurens.

Level 15
Okay, well Arthas (The lich king) is kinda much an over-used "bad-guy" as he is pretty much "the evil guy" in Azeroth. OFcause, since you are focusing on Horde, Kil'jaedeen/Legion could be another one, since the Orcs just (about 4 years ago) broke free from the demons. So killing Kil'jaedeen could be a nice one. Sadly, the horde dont share enemies like alliance...

Orcs: The Legion
Forsaken: Arthas
Taurens: Various centaur tribes wich driven taurens from the Barrens.
Trolls: A hard one, Maybe the human expedition wich camp was placed close to the Echo Isles.
Blood Elves: Arthas/Illidan. Illidan because he promised them freedom in Outland, but just used them as slaves...

So, multiple or a single? I made it easy for you :D

Okay, well Arthas (The lich king) is kinda much an over-used "bad-guy" as he is pretty much "the evil guy" in Azeroth. OFcause, since you are focusing on Horde, Kil'jaedeen/Legion could be another one, since the Orcs just (about 4 years ago) broke free from the demons. So killing Kil'jaedeen could be a nice one. Sadly, the horde dont share enemies like alliance...

Orcs: The Legion
Forsaken: Arthas
Taurens: Various centaur tribes wich driven taurens from the Barrens.
Trolls: A hard one, Maybe the human expedition wich camp was placed close to the Echo Isles.
Blood Elves: Arthas/Illidan. Illidan because he promised them freedom in Outland, but just used them as slaves...

So, multiple or a single? I made it easy for you :D

Let's go with Arthas because he can obliterate all of them. :D

Kil'jaedeen can too :D

Maybe we could go with them all? so theres different "End bosses" for different levels? So players could feel "Overpowered" even in low levels? Like the first "End boss" could be the Human expiditions leader, then Centaurs leader, then Illidan, Kil'jaedeen, and lastly Arthas?

Just an idea :D

My brother, you got it going on. You don't need me to tell you how your imagination works. :D

Level 15
And, if you could... I have grammar problems too, so....

Edit: Heres an outcast on the History, say if you want something changed...
Looked bigger in Word xD

Horde:
Four years have passed, since the races of Azeroth stood together and banished the demon lord Archimonde from their realm. The orc of the Orcish Horde has united themselves with the Forsaken undead, and their leader, Lady Sylvanas. High in the North, have Arthas, the old prince of Lordaeron, finnaly reached the Frozen Throne, and released the old Lich King Ner’zul.
The Humans of Lordearon have allied themselves with the Night Elves, and now seek to destroy the Horde, as they don’t think the orcish horde has changed them self from the past, where Gul’dan entered Azeroth, with the newly freed orcs. The Alliance was that way founded.
The Hordes young Warchief Thrall tries to keep the Orcish Horde away from conflicts with the Alliance, but fails, as both sylvannas and the Orcs wants to slaughter the Alliance for their attacks on the capital of the Orcs, Orgrimmar.
The Taurens of the new found Horde are still fighting the Centaurs of the Southern Kalimdor, in order to get their lands back. With help from the Orcs and Undeads, they are now prepared to destroy the Centaurs once and for all.
The Trolls also got their own enemies. The mad Witch Doctor Zazzaliene took control of the Echo Isles, the troll’s old home, and cursed all of the trolls he could find, so that they now do his bidding.
Sylvannas has told Thrall about Arthas, wich is gathering power in the Northrend, and seeks to end all life of Azeroth.

The horde has finally destroyed the gate of Icecrown, and along with the Argent Crusade’s Offensive, they are charging the Icecrown Citadel, where Arthas resides.

Last edited:
Level 10
Horde:
Four years have passed since the races of Azeroth stood together and banished the demon lord Archimonde from their realm. The orc of the Orcish Horde have united themselves with the Forsaken undead and their leader, Lady Sylvanas. High in the North, Arthas, the old prince of Lordaeron, has finally reached the Frozen Throne, and released the old Lich King Ner’zul.
The Humans of Lordearon have allied themselves with the Night Elves and now seek to destroy the Horde, as they don’t think the orcish horde has changed since Gul’dan entered Azeroth, with the newly freed orcs. The Alliance was founded by this belief.
The Horde's young Warchief, Thrall, tries to keep the Orcish Horde away from conflicts with the Alliance, but fails, as both Sylvannas and the Orcs wants to slaughter the Alliance for their attacks on the Orcs' capital, Orgrimmar.
The Taurens of the new found Horde, are still fighting the Centaurs of Southern Kalimdor in order to get their lands back. With help from the Orcs and Undead, they are now prepared to destroy the Centaurs once and for all.
The Trolls have their own enemies. The mad Witch Doctor Zazzaliene has taken control of the Echo Isles, the troll’s old home, and cursed all of the trolls he could find to do his bidding.
Sylvannas has told Thrall about Arthas, who is gathering power in Northrend and seeks to end all life of Azeroth.

The Horde has finally destroyed the gate of Icecrown, and along with the Argent Crusade’s Offensive, are charging the Icecrown Citadel, where Arthas resides.
I proofed the above post (the quote is the proofed version)and I noticed you have a lot of comma errors. They are easy to fix but hard to notice while typing so, that's fine. Overall, it is not a very grammatically incorrect post, so I don't think I will have much trouble proofing your posts :)

Level 15
All of your present systems are good. Now you need a custom attack system to go with the rest. I think everyone is tired with ORPG's having the same, standard WCIII attack system.

Status
Not open for further replies.