• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My First

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
After lurking here for several months, I decided to take up the challenge of making my own terrain. I don't think its great or good, but I do think that its okay. Be free to judge for your self.

I'm posting this for critique, in hope that it could make me a better terrainer. So anything anyone can say to make it better would be appreciated.

Credits: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/raven-48257/?prev=search=raven&d=list&r=20

Attachments

• Castle Mountain Top View.png
    Castle Mountain Top View.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 207
  • Castle View2.png
    Castle View2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 161
  • Castle View3.png
    Castle View3.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 171
  • Castle View4.png
    Castle View4.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 157
  • Castle View5.png
    Castle View5.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 139
  • Castle View6.png
    Castle View6.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 128
  • Castle View7.png
    Castle View7.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 157
  • Castle View8.png
    Castle View8.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 124
  • Castle View9.png
    Castle View9.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Level 3
The walls are all circles... =/ The buildings are pretty much random placement from what I see. and the castle walls don't even wrap around the city as mentioned above me. Not bad but could be far better.

Ok.
Fixed the castle walls.
Placed the buildings not so randomly.

Thanks for that, + rep to you and Just Spectating.

L2love said:
1 thing i would add is push the sky back its 2 close i think.

Sounds good, but how do I move the sky?

Level 13
The scrolling shit on the mouse hold crtl then scroll it back but it matters on how close you are to the edge of the map also add some like mountains.And no gate should ever be bigger than a building like that unless its for giants.

My rating of this terrain 5/10 nothing special and nothing bad.

Level 3
hm, i liked it better before, now it looks kind of like a giant graveyard or something.

takakenji said:
yeah, i liked the old design, even if it was a 'cluster' it really brought out scenary and looked nice

I'll put it back as it was tomorrow, getting late here.

Just got finished with resizing the gate, adding mountains (I might need to improve them), and added some different types of houses to make it look not so like a graveyard, but tomorrow ill change it back to a cluster. Unless people disagree.

Thanks for all the help tonight though, I really appreciate it.

Level 3
Well, i like the idea of actually having a "main road" in a CASTLE >_> but please, don't just cluster buildings.. place them so you actually can see some of the buildings ^^ (Edit: Like you already did.. xD sry about that)

And maybe you should use a darker sky ?? I think it would look better with the fog you're using..

But maybe you could tell us some more about the terrain you are creating ?? Like, "Is it playable" and.. "What is the story of the terrain" (what kind of people live there..) .. stuff like that :D that could help you getting further with your terrain

Level 15
For first time it's okay. I am not saying it's a bad terrain, but heres what you should think about for this and your future terrains;
- Never build at the world end. As you can see, the skybox is clearly seen, which is not very positive. Will give more depth if the sky was further away.
-The city itself Is okay, but it does look very squarish and you could definently improve that point. Make some houses taller/smaller? Maybe make more streets and not just buildings? Add a marketplace? Remember, you can also combine more than one doodad into one big building.
-The wall. The wall is indeed epic looking, but is a wall like that really going to be used for a city that's half the size? And maybe the wall shouldn't just go around the city, maybe it should go into some buildings, maybe a little castle here and there.
-The forground is not very interesting. It's also more newbie epic terrain, the way you built it is good but as said it's not very interesting. Maybe there should be some flowers? Maybe there should be other people, or trash laying on the ground? Maybe you could use another tile at some places, to make it look like a road.

As said, its NOT a bad terrain, just pointing out what you should to to be a better terrainer and improve :3

Level 3
Alright, I changed a lot of stuff since the last one. Thanks to everyone who commented.

And maybe you should use a darker sky ?? I think it would look better with the fog you're using..

That's the best sky I could find for the terrain, I agree with you though, needs to be darker.

But maybe you could tell us some more about the terrain you are creating ?? Like, "Is it playable" and.. "What is the story of the terrain" (what kind of people live there..) .. stuff like that :D that could help you getting further with your terrain

Well I was basing it off of a part in Fable 2 where your up on a hill top over looking some houses and a huge manor which is all covered in heavy fog. Not much more I can say about that.

bounty hunter2 said:
Interesting idea, the town looks simple, too symmetrical, the entire image.

Tried fixing that, hopefully its not so symmetrical now. Also made the town less simple.

Revolve said:
For first time it's okay. I am not saying it's a bad terrain, but heres what you should think about for this and your future terrains;
- Never build at the world end. As you can see, the skybox is clearly seen, which is not very positive. Will give more depth if the sky was further away.
-The city itself Is okay, but it does look very squarish and you could definently improve that point. Make some houses taller/smaller? Maybe make more streets and not just buildings? Add a marketplace? Remember, you can also combine more than one doodad into one big building.
-The wall. The wall is indeed epic looking, but is a wall like that really going to be used for a city that's half the size? And maybe the wall shouldn't just go around the city, maybe it should go into some buildings, maybe a little castle here and there.
-The forground is not very interesting. It's also more newbie epic terrain, the way you built it is good but as said it's not very interesting. Maybe there should be some flowers? Maybe there should be other people, or trash laying on the ground? Maybe you could use another tile at some places, to make it look like a road.

I moved the sky back by increasing the map size, but it didn't seem to change much. Also thanks for the post, it helped a lot.

Level 3
looks pretty epic now, dude, this is a AWESOME first terrain! (hell, my first was atrocious :cry:)

Ha, thanks. Was worried it wouldn't turn out good.

Just_Spectating said:
now you just need to make the mountains a bit better.

Revolve said:
I like the improvements :)

But as Just_Spectating said you could still improve the mountains in the background. Nice first terrain tho, gonna +rep ya and wish you luck in the future :)

Made better mountains I hope. Was having a bit of trouble making them look good, and thanks for the rep.

Level 9
That's nice, actually. Love the grass. Love the bird (how you done it btw?). Background could be done better, but on other hand doesn't have any major mistakes. Overall - 7.5/10.

For improvement:
- Try using grass of different colour variations. One slightly greener, one slighly yellower....
- Bg isn't systematic, there is a crossroad, but all the houses are dropped randomnly. Make them realistic, with spaces between them, certain alignment, grouping.
-Forest should be much thicker.
-Texture detail difference between lighters and fence is too big. Scale the lighters down...
-Put some people on the street. Pedestrians, guards, riders.

Level 2
Hi,
Great work if this is your first terrain.
But it's a little boring to see it from the same angle.

Level 3
Off-topic (Sry..):

mpcopy.. terrains usually only have 1 good viewing angle ^^ and as far as i know, most terrainers do it like that on the hive :wink:

Level 3
Much better, i like the improvement. Try replacing the gray fog with light blue, you never know if it's better :)

Made the city look good, but made the mountains look horrible.

Lexandritte said:
That's nice, actually. Love the grass. Love the bird (how you done it btw?). Background could be done better, but on other hand doesn't have any major mistakes. Overall - 7.5/10.

For improvement:
- Try using grass of different colour variations. One slightly greener, one slighly yellower....
- Bg isn't systematic, there is a crossroad, but all the houses are dropped randomnly. Make them realistic, with spaces between them, certain alignment, grouping.
-Forest should be much thicker.
-Texture detail difference between lighters and fence is too big. Scale the lighters down...
-Put some people on the street. Pedestrians, guards, riders.

Two people have said they like the random look better, and I have to agree with them =/. I don't mind trying to change it around if you really think it'll look better that way.

Also, the raven is actually a model form Dan van Ohllus, should of gave credit earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.