• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My First Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hey there, this is my first time ever doing any sort of terrain work and I thought I'd post some of it to see what you guys think.

I know the mountain looks bad but it's part of the map =)

Attachments

• Terrain Screenshot 1.jpg
    Terrain Screenshot 1.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 229
  • Terrain Screenshot 2.jpg
    Terrain Screenshot 2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 216
  • Terrain Screenshot 3.jpg
    Terrain Screenshot 3.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 223
Level 37
I think these pictures are quite okay because you are beginner! I like the environment.

But when I saw that second picture I started to laugh. It's so funny that you put some trees to mountains! I think it would be better if you make those mountains little smoother and remove those trees! They look like very huge trees or something.

+rep

Level 36
I'm sorry to be like that british guy from american idol, but are YOU happy with them?

-The mountains are jagged and blehhh
-The mountains don't look far away, they just look like snowy rock spikes
-The trees aren't well spaced, and are too small.
-The terrain needs serious smoothing.
-Not enough ground clutter
-End of the map
-Ugly fog color

But hey, ya gotta start somewhere ^_^

Level 34
Well if this is indeed your first terrain, I congratulate you for tile variation, fog, and no Blizzard cliffs.

Too bad you used blizzard trees. And the worst blizzard tree at that. You also used the worst tileset known to man.

Your waterfall is pretty bad. You need to make it more realistic. It comes from no where, and the hill in falls down doesn't form to the water at all. I suggest you look at other peoples waterfalls.

Level 15
void covered it all, for a beginner it's ok, i'm guessing your a beginner because this if your "first work" but just something you need to know, mountains are generally large mounds coming out of the earth, not gigantic spikes, try to smooth it out. I also see many floating doodads, remember to lower them.

Level 3
Thanks for the replies people, and thank you Aeroblyctos for the rep. I'll try to improve this and maybe I'll get around to fixing it and maybe posting the improvements

Level 6
Good as a first terrain, but the waterfall on the first pic, seems to flow from out of nowhere, just the top of a hill of around 2 meters. The shores are also too pointy and the trees on the mountains are badly placed. But overal, nice first try +rep

Level 34
Take the smooth tool and go over everything. Just take a large brush and quickly run it over your whole terrain. And re-do the mountains.

Level 3
Make the mountains further away and bigger, more rounded maybe. And make it so you can't see them through the fog, but have no fog on the sky, so that they appear blue in the background like in real life.

Sorry about not being constructive earlier :p

Quite alright Void.

I wish I could make them farther back but
A.) if I did that then they would disappear from sight range and
B.) I can't move farther back because they're at the edge of the map

so, anything I can do about that?

Take the smooth tool and go over everything. Just take a large brush and quickly run it over your whole terrain. And re-do the mountains.

I totally forgot that there was a smooth tool.

BTW, any thoughts on the village?

Too bad you used blizzard trees. And the worst blizzard tree at that.

What is a good tree? Do you mean to import one or just a different kind?

You also used the worst tileset known to man.

Could you please elaborate?

Again thank you to everyone for giving feedback, I actually put this up here just because. I didn't think anyone would take notice of it or think it worth replying to except to say it sucked (and believe me, I don't in any way think it's great) but I was rather proud of doing this since it was my first time opening the WE for the purpose of terraining (I've done triggers and other such things before). I had no intention of fixing it because to me it was "finished" but who knows?

Now I just hope I'll get around to fixing the problems

Level 34
For the trees, importing is the best option. There are select trees that are not so bad. Barrens, Sunken Ruins, and Northrend (dead), being the most notable.

About the tiles set. You used Lordaeron, which IMO is the worst tile set. Most of the tiles in it are ugly. Instead I suggest village. It has much nicer tiles, with the same atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.