• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My first terrain screenshots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hi these are some screen shots of the first terrain I've ever made. I think its ok for my first try but if anyone has suggestions on what I could do next time they would be apreciated. I also dont know if the shots were takin in good places since its the first time I've done screen shots to.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 107
  • lookngiup.jpg
    lookngiup.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 128
  • lookngiouttosea2.jpg
    lookngiouttosea2.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 103
  • lookingdown.jpg
    lookingdown.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 101
  • lookingouttosee.jpg
    lookingouttosee.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 98
Level 8
Nice, just as a tip, use game view settings to make the purple cubes vanish. Also, in the first one there's a lot too many trees, but if you have heaps normal ones, sometimes it looks fine after you add in canopy ones. Second one's pretty good. Third one has quite a few flaws, such as the vast emptiness of the island, the heaps of water, and all the trees which kinda make up the island. Fourth one's very nice, but you need to get rid of the purple cubes: V. Fifth one isn't so great, since you see the corners of the map, and there's huge amounts of water, and not much doodads. Overall, pretty nice. Keep going. ^_^

Level 9
Ya I know I needed to get rid of the cubes I just didn't know how to get rid of them thx for tellin me. Also ya I was trying to make a really dense jungle but I guess I got to caried away :). And with the 5th image I really didn't like it myself because it looks like the end of the earth but I originally didn't know I was going to take a picture like that and I made the map really small. Thanx for the tips and the suggestions. :grin:

Level 8
Dense jungle? Get green terrain fog, have trees, and then put canopy trees in them. The ground should be Ashenvale lumpy grass, and normal grass, etc. Ashenvale with sunken ruins trees, or just Ashenvale trees make great jungles, they look kinda like Lost's jungle.

Level 9
I was looking for more of a tropical jungle not a rain forest. I'm probly going to thin up the trees just a little bit. I'm probly going to stick to tropic terrains for a while so I can keep practicing and I'm sure I'll be able to get the dense jungle look for an island down better.

Level 34
Huge lack of doodads! Use viney plants, shrubs, and rocks in the jungle. In the first one the waterfall looks weird because of the way you stacked the doodad. I would suggest trying to just lengthen it. I've seen a good tutorial for waterfalls, might want to look for that. As well you have one waterfall doodad that sorta sticks out in an odd way. The third one really lacks doodads. The water is pretty plain around the island, and the beach area is plain. Add shells or an odd tree. The last one is a no no. Just leave it out next time :wink: Not bad first one, the second screen looks nice because of the angle!

Level 9
Hmm add some canopy trees, some other trees, rocks and bushes. and dont use a larger brushes then 1 to add trees. but its still pretty good, some tile varitation would do aswell

and please Put all your terrains in 1 topic instead of making 4 topics: helps ordening the forum greatly

Last edited:
Hmm add some canopy trees, some other trees, rocks and bushes. and dont use a larger brushes then 1 to add trees

and Put all terrain in 1 topic instead of making 4 topics!

If he wants to make different topics for different terrain pieces then he is allowed to, if you keep up with that negative attitude then action will be taken.

Level 25
The big bad boo boo on this one is the shore of the island. In reality, islands start off low and have a beach usually all around them (some have cliffs around them, but not all around) and then the ground elevates more towards the center of the island.

For a first timer, the Waterfall isn't that bad. You might've wanted to make the waterfall area in a 90 degree angle. Then you can just place a waterfall doodad and make it into a tall water fall. Place about several in the same exact spot and it increases the density of the water in the waterfall, making it harder to see the steep cliff.
~Craka_J

Status
Not open for further replies.