• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My Custom UI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I took a picture of the map with the size of 1024x1024.
Then i imported the newly created map picture into the map (yeah, an imported file =/ ).
After that i created a dialog with the size of 256x256 and created a dialog item (image) to it with the size of 1024x1024.
The trick i use here is that even though a dialog item is bigger then a dialog, it can not show up outside of the dialog, so you will only see 256x256 of the full 1024x1024 image.
Now you have the actual local minimap, but it will not show up where you are.
So with help of some math and calculations you can make it read your position on the map and show up the right location.
And then ofc, there is the arrow in the center that shows where you are facing. i just anchored it to the center of the dialog and then calculates what direction my unit is facing (required a small amount of calculating becouse the arrow pointing wrong).
And there you go, a minimap that shows your location.
Keep in mind that it cant view any other unit but the unit you choose to display on the minimap with trigger.
I have still not added a feature to make other players appear on the map (i will do so later ofc, but right now it is single player :p)
Oh I got it now that's really bright idea you got there!

By the way, what method did you use to take a screenshot of your map? It seemed to be high detailed. I don't really have an idea to do that.

Level 5
While I know your project is single player and you may not know the answer to this, but do you know if this User Interface will work in multiplayer?

I haven't spent much time with the UI, but there is one question I have about it:

Is UI universal to everyone or can it be defined differently per player in multiplayer? With your UI setup, would that apply to everyone or could it be defined to, say, just player 5?

Level 6
While I know your project is single player and you may not know the answer to this, but do you know if this User Interface will work in multiplayer?

I haven't spent much time with the UI, but there is one question I have about it:

Is UI universal to everyone or can it be defined differently per player in multiplayer? With your UI setup, would that apply to everyone or could it be defined to, say, just player 5?

the ui is realized with dialogs. dialogs can be displayed for different players and even in different versions for each player.

so yes its possible to show another ui to every player.

Level 12
Wondering, can you pan the viewable minimap to a specific square of the total map? Like, I want to divide my map into four sections for four different levels, each is a fourth of the map (one corner each). I want it so that when on say, floor 1, you only see the region of the map specified as floor 1. Then, when you go to floor 2, it changes to floor 2.

I can make the transition myself, but I just want to know if you can set it to a specific area.

Level 17
Mind posting that in the tutorial section here too?
Sure. I will do so later, i am kinda busy doing some fixing on the map before the release that will be sometime tonight.
Edit: Seems like i cant post in the tutorial section? i do not have permision.

I think you need to turn your reputation back on
Sure thing :p It have been disabled for about 8 months, i think it is time to turn it back on, lol.

Wondering, can you pan the viewable minimap to a specific square of the total map? Like, I want to divide my map into four sections for four different levels, each is a fourth of the map (one corner each). I want it so that when on say, floor 1, you only see the region of the map specified as floor 1. Then, when you go to floor 2, it changes to floor 2.

I can make the transition myself, but I just want to know if you can set it to a specific area.
Yes, this is indeed possible. You just have to do some minor changes to trigger that calculates the position it should show.

Level 17
mmm lol the buggiest thing i've ever seen. Param Value everywhere xD
And i have to say, you probably placed massive doodads on the map which make the map really laggy. Even on a fast pc. Well not really what i expected

It does not seem to lag for me?
And try to remove the doodads to see if that fixes the problem.
And yes, there seems to be problems with localizing text paths.
I have heard that this happens if you use sc2 from different regions GB/US.
I am not sure though.

Edit:
A friend just told me about this. It seems like people with a different game client cant see custom texts.
It is just a stupid bug with the game, not my fault : /
I am trying to solve it. Sorry!

Edit2:
It is now confirmed that the problem appears if someone with a different client tries to play the map.
Friends in europe does not get any problems, but they get problems with maps from US.
Kinda frustrating. Hopefully they fix this in next patch.

Level 9
Great inspiration :) It's incredible how nice these systems work, I have not ran into any real problems by now, and I have created an ability-browser, a spell-bar and a minimap by myself now :D

Only thing that could really improve these things would be dynamic location of the mouseX and mouseY on the screen :) That way, dialogs could be moved around by the player to where-ever he/she likes the dialog to be. I hope Blizzard import this feature some-day.

Level 2
You just need to add this one line of triggering i think:
Unit - Turn playerUnit Status Bar state Off
So that the HP/Energy bars don't appear over your player :) (Unless that's how you wanted it!)

Level 7
well crap here i thought i was guna be cool and report a bug but someone beet it to me. oh and btw its really hard to see sometime with the doodads back behind me and what not! PARAMS EVERYWERE!!!

Level 17
well crap here i thought i was guna be cool and report a bug but someone beet it to me. oh and btw its really hard to see sometime with the doodads back behind me and what not! PARAMS EVERYWERE!!!

That was just a test zone, and i know that it was almost impossible to see anything.
I worked yesterday on a new camera system that works more like in wow.
When left mouse button is clicked down, you can turn around the camera however you want. If you use the right mouse button and move the camera, the unit will face the direction the camera is facing. This means that if you press W and have the right mouse button clicked down, you can easily move around using only that. No need for A or D.
The scroll is also enabled so that you can choose the distance from your unit.

This means alot more freedom.
The only problem i have is that the arrow keys seem to get enabled for some reason, so that you can move around the map.
And that you can move the camera so that you see from below the ground.

But, i am gonna spend the next few days playing wow (....) so i may not make much updates, if any at all in the next few days.
(Yes, i play wow, and i do not wanna miss out on the world event that takes place now)

Level 7
....wow.....thats all i have to say. warhammer online all the way. much better then wow. but thats off topic. the new camera system sounds alot better as soon as you come out with new version ill test it out

Level 6
anyone knows how to stretch an image in a dialog button?

tried all options (border, endcap, normal...) and with all options i tried "tiled" true/false. but i could not get the image size to dialogbutton size.
without stretching its nearly impossible to find good images for my dialog buttons because the size must match exactly... they added so much strange thinks like "border", but no stretch oO

Level 10

tried all options (border, endcap, normal...) and with all options i tried "tiled" true/false. but i could not get the image size to dialogbutton size.
without stretching its nearly impossible to find good images for my dialog buttons because the size must match exactly... they added so much strange thinks like "border", but no stretch oO

When you are selecting the image, it gives the pixel size above the preview image.

Just make the button the same size..

Level 17
So, let's say we want to add pure icons on the screen, like the Warcraft III heroes' display on the left side; do we need a dialog for that or we can directly set icons?

You can create a fullscreen dialog and hide its background.
This makes the dialog completely invisible, no borders, no background, nothing.
But objects on it will still be visible. So basicly you create an invisible dialog and put a button where you want it to be.
All you see is the icon, nothing else. So i dont really think there is a problem with doing it with a dialog.

It is probably possible to move the hero icons that is at the bottom right in sc2 to the top left by changing the actual standard interface in the game. But blizzard said that it wont be a userfriendly way to modify the standard UI.

Isnt there a image type that automaticly make the image fit the dialog size. That would mean that the image scale after the dialog items size.
I am not really sure if this is correct, but i have something in my head telling me that i found this before..

Level 6
Isnt there a image type that automaticly make the image fit the dialog size. That would mean that the image scale after the dialog items size.
I am not really sure if this is correct, but i have something in my head telling me that i found this before..

exactly thats what im searching for ;)
i miss a simple "stretch" option ~~

Level 10
i know, but what if i want to use different image sizes for one button bar? should every button have a different size? xD

Well, considering you are using built in images, and not happy because they are not the size you want, the next logical step would be to make your own.

I don't know how to fix the stretching problem, as far as I can tell every UI that I have seen uses the images the size that they are.

Level 12
Yeah, LTGH, you need to reupload the pictures on either a new account or on a new site, for example tinypic.

Level 17
Yeah, LTGH, you need to reupload the pictures on either a new account or on a new site, for example tinypic.

I know i need a new host. But it seems like no sites have unlimited bandwidth traffic limit <_<'
© 2004-2009 TinyPic®, a Photobucket Video & Photo Sharing Company
This gives me the feeling that it have the same limit as photobucket..

My bandwidth Traffic is about 20GB per month... (i usually had 5GB, but it increases for every day that goes now after i created my dialog tutorial >.<)

I know i need a new host. But it seems like no sites have unlimited bandwidth traffic limit <_<'

This gives me the feeling that it have the same limit as photobucket..

My bandwidth Traffic is about 20GB per month... (i usually had 5GB, but it increases for every day that goes now after i created my dialog tutorial >.<)

Attach your images to the post maybe?

Level 3
Why does it crash for me 0.o? It gets through 80% of the load, then says failed to open map, and sends me to the account login screen. =/

Level 17
Why does it crash for me 0.o? It gets through 80% of the load, then says failed to open map, and sends me to the account login screen. =/

The latest patch of starcraft II made maps that used all players lots corrupt.
If you go to the map settings and change the player properties so that all players except for player 14 is used, the map should work again.
Player 0 should be neutral, player 15 should be hostile, player 14 none and the rest should be player slots.
Save the map and then test it again.

Level 3
The latest patch of starcraft II made maps that used all players lots corrupt.
If you go to the map settings and change the player properties so that all players except for player 14 is used, the map should work again.
Player 0 should be neutral, player 15 should be hostile, player 14 none and the rest should be player slots.
Save the map and then test it again.

<3 my hero <3.

Level 2
how would making an underground map effect the minimap do u know? i plan on making an ORPG that goes both above and below ground and i need a minimap/map that can transition between the two

Status
Not open for further replies.